Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stox259

Mahrez

He's a great player. He can be great even when he appears to have been stifled. He may need a rest and he definitely needs taking off penalties (that was obvious before today, so Ranieri has to take a share of the blame there), but I'd never wish to understate his contribution. We could also help by encouraging him to come inside more, which he didn't do a great deal until early 2nd half, swapping with Albrighton or being given more of a free role.

I have a nagging worry. Drinkwater talked about the need to 'keep reinventing' ourselves. I can't help but wonder whether the wingers either not committing forward or trying to work the ball out of tight spaces because we're not offering runners early enough, is a consequence of us having 'reinvented' ourselves as a more conservative, direct outfit five games ago. It just seemed like an odd thing for him to say. If so, a bit of re-reinvention might be in order. Late 70s Bowie style.

I've got a plan. One day at training all the first team squad takes about 10 penalties against Kasper with CR watching. Then, wait for it, CR and Kasper have a chat over a coffee and decide which player did best and he then takes the next penalty. Very high tech I know but perhaps worth a punt.

So, after 240 successful penalties, how would they arrive at a decision?

He's a great player. He can be great even when he appears to have been stifled. He may need a rest and he definitely needs taking off penalties (that was obvious before today, so Ranieri has to take a share of the blame there), but I'd never wish to understate his contribution. We could also help by encouraging him to come inside more, which he didn't do a great deal until early 2nd half, swapping with Albrighton or being given more of a free role.

I have a nagging worry. Drinkwater talked about the need to 'keep reinventing' ourselves. I can't help but wonder whether the wingers either not committing forward or trying to work the ball out of tight spaces because we're not offering runners early enough, is a consequence of us having 'reinvented' ourselves as a more conservative, direct outfit five games ago. It just seemed like an odd thing for him to say. If so, a bit of re-reinvention might be in order. Late 70s Bowie style.

Almost like a park the bus carry on recently

It's not working

1 win 4 draws and a defeat in last 6

Reall 3 of those draws would have been wins in November

Very diplomatic Scouse .... Read the first 7 words of his post again ...

And they matter because?

Problem MIGHT be he is living that bright future while still in the past

The hear and now is what we care about

He's been living that bright future for about 2 years now. We get it, you don't like him, but as bad as he was today, he's been spectacular for a year. 

I'm not so sure dropping him is the answer.

People have often said that Knockaert was a confidence player, but I think that relates to Mahrez more. Dropping him will knock his confidence even more. Start him on Wednesday, show faith in him and he'll deliver!

We've shown faith the last 5 games, we dropped him at Norwich and first half at Southampton, he came back in electric form

I think Marhez looked a lot better in the second half when he was brought into the AM role, on the right he is wasted imo especially now teams know what he is capable off and quite easily you can have the two left sided players doubling up on him.

he should give up peno duties though I have never fancied a left footer taking penos.

This is why he frustrates me. Yesterday he looked lazy, no doubt about it. Didn't look interested at all. The penalty rather summed his performance up. Should have come off for Gray, not Okazaki off.

Lazy?? Uninterested, he was tracking back as much as Albrighton was and looked more of a threat going forward, unfortunatly his through balls just wern't coming off.

He is just having a dip in form along with other players.

Lazy?? Uninterested, he was tracking back as much as Albrighton was and looked more of a threat going forward, unfortunatly his through balls just wern't coming off.

Only in the 2nd half,after no doubt getting a bollocking..

He didn't look a threat though, because absolutely nothing he did went right. Other than that he sort of just flounced around, didn't challenge for loose balls or headers and I definitely don't remember him offering defensive support to Simpson.

That's 3 wretched performances in a row from Mahrez as well.

It's not that he's just not been effective, he's been utterly useless against Bournemouth, Spurs and Villa and largely neglected his defensive responsibilities to boot. In the Spurs game he repeatedly left Simpson isolated whilst Davies overlapped.

He's been so bad in those three games that it's damaging the side having him playing.

I think we should send him away on holiday for a week or so and hope he regains some of the focus and confidence that he had earlier in the season, because right now he is a complete liability.

The abuse that I've read on social media to Mahrez, be it from a very small minority, is hideous. If he has had his head turned, that kind of small time shit will easily make his mind up for him.

However, looking at Vardy and Mahrez, I'm not sure I'd have Vardy taking the penalties either at the minute. The sheer amount of energy that both of them have burned to get us where we are currently is monumental. Seriously look at the goals scored. Look at the table. Look back at the the ****ing number of goals scored. Look at the number of games we've played. Goals again. The ****ing table. Then remember that neither of these players has ever done something like this, and on this scale ever before. If you yourself had done this in your profession, and you had to do under immense physical terms then you'd be ****ed too.

We have brought Gray as backup and he's definitely one for the future, but I don't think he's quite ready to step up to allow Mahrez to impact from the bench, and give him some rest.

Therefore we need to find a method of play where Mahrez doesn't have score, and the pressure is relieved elsewhere. With Vardy needing the same relief, for me, the search for a prolific striker to come in heightens.

It was strange how much space he was leaving Davies in at Tottenham but I'm convinced that was down to instructions rather than him not doing his job properly.

Spurs like to play through the middle with plenty of central midfielders and Ranieri has had both wide players tucking in a lot in all games recently anyway. You can see he wants to force the opposition out wide and get them crossing it so that Huth and Morgan can clear. People talk about us defending better recently - I think this is what it's down to.

I think it has affected Mahrez too. He's having to pick the ball up a lot closer to our goal than he was earlier in the season and he's doing a lot of sprints defensively to close down opposition full-backs.

I think he's doing his job correctly as per Ranieri's instructions. The problem being that he's never tackled anyone in his life so he's basically just a movable training cone when we haven't got the ball.

His defensive uselessness was exploited so well by Bournemouth in the away game in August that I was convinced he couldn't play on the wing, especially away from home, in a 4-4-2 in the Premier League. Obviously for the next few months he completely tore that theory to shreds and was sensational. Now I'm beginning to remember why I thought that in the first place.

The abuse that I've read on social media to Mahrez, be it from a very small minority, is hideous. If he has had his head turned, that kind of small time shit will easily make his mind up for him.

However, looking at Vardy and Mahrez, I'm not sure I'd have Vardy taking the penalties either at the minute. The sheer amount of energy that both of them have burned to get us where we are currently is monumental. Seriously look at the goals scored. Look at the table. Look back at the the ****ing number of goals scored. Look at the number of games we've played. Goals again. The ****ing table. Then remember that neither of these players has ever done something like this, and on this scale ever before. If you yourself had done this in your profession, and you had to do under immense physical terms then you'd be ****ed too.

We have brought Gray as backup and he's definitely one for the future, but I don't think he's quite ready to step up to allow Mahrez to impact from the bench, and give him some rest.

Therefore we need to find a method of play where Mahrez doesn't have score, and the pressure is relieved elsewhere. With Vardy needing the same relief, for me, the search for a prolific striker to come in heightens.

lol LOL lol

Footballers go where the money is not where the social media is friendly and they certainly don't leave for anything other than greener grass !

Archived