Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stox259

Mahrez

It was strange how much space he was leaving Davies in at Tottenham but I'm convinced that was down to instructions rather than him not doing his job properly.

Spurs like to play through the middle with plenty of central midfielders and Ranieri has had both wide players tucking in a lot in all games recently anyway. You can see he wants to force the opposition out wide and get them crossing it so that Huth and Morgan can clear. People talk about us defending better recently - I think this is what it's down to.

I think it has affected Mahrez too. He's having to pick the ball up a lot closer to our goal than he was earlier in the season and he's doing a lot of sprints defensively to close down opposition full-backs.

I think he's doing his job correctly as per Ranieri's instructions. The problem being that he's never tackled anyone in his life so he's basically just a movable training cone when we haven't got the ball.

His defensive uselessness was exploited so well by Bournemouth in the away game in August that I was convinced he couldn't play on the wing, especially away from home, in a 4-4-2 in the Premier League. Obviously for the next few months he completely tore that theory to shreds and was sensational. Now I'm beginning to remember why I thought that in the first place.

You're right about encouraging the ball to be moved wide by the opposition - Simpson in particular defends very narrowly - but time and again on Tuesday Mahrez just stopped running back about 30 yards from goal, allowing a free cross from Davies.

Even allowing for the tactics of encouraging the ball to be played wide, surely Ranieri would prefer there to be no cross (or at least a hampered cross) than a totally free cross? I just can't imagine that Ranieri is telling Mahrez to amble back.

Same thing happened against Chelsea for their goal where Mahrez had gone forward and Ulloa, who was nominally filling in on the right, just walked back, allowing a free cross which was headed in.

I've always stuck up for Mahrez defensively - I think that even last year he did a lot more than a lot of similar players, but he's been absolutely negligent in the last 3 matches as far as I'm concerned.

Lazy?? Uninterested, he was tracking back as much as Albrighton was and looked more of a threat going forward, unfortunatly his through balls just wern't coming off.

He is just having a dip in form along with other players.

Yeah, I stand by what I said. There was an example first half where a cross came over and he was asleep which allowed one of their players to get a shot in (albeit I think it went over)... I didn't see one thing that he did right yesterday. Drinkwater was playing better through balls.

I've supported him on social media since Villa, BUT I must admit he is annoying me and has for about 6 weeks. I have always liked him, when we had Knocky and him, I always thought Knocky weren't in his class. His comments about staying with us until the end of the season annoyed me, listen son you're signed until 2019, so I think if we want, you will stay until then. Anyone can mess up a pen, but it is the manner you mess em up, they aint lazy pens as has been stated, they are brainless ones giving the keepers a very very good chance, he wasn't taking people on in the last couple of games, it gives the opposition confidence and they push up a bit more. I may not see this again in my lifetime, I will still bleed blue if we are non-league, but come on give it a go. We have been worked out a bit, maybe try 3 at the back again, to give the forwards confidence to express themselves, knowing we have a buffer, I don't have all the answers, but we do need something else, it might click again but I found out against Bournemouth an organised 10 men against us and we didn't look like scoring.

I've supported him on social media since Villa, BUT I must admit he is annoying me and has for about 6 weeks. I have always liked him, when we had Knocky and him, I always thought Knocky weren't in his class. His comments about staying with us until the end of the season annoyed me, listen son you're signed until 2019, so I think if we want, you will stay until then. Anyone can mess up a pen, but it is the manner you mess em up, they aint lazy pens as has been stated, they are brainless ones giving the keepers a very very good chance, he wasn't taking people on in the last couple of games, it gives the opposition confidence and they push up a bit more. I may not see this again in my lifetime, I will still bleed blue if we are non-league, but come on give it a go. We have been worked out a bit, maybe try 3 at the back again, to give the forwards confidence to express themselves, knowing we have a buffer, I don't have all the answers, but we do need something else, it might click again but I found out against Bournemouth an organised 10 men against us and we didn't look like scoring.

If he is this liable, why do you still want to force him to stay ?! I would rather want to sell him with good return, no?

Thing is, at the start of the season he wouldn't be marked so tightly by 2 men. He'd beat one man, then he'd have another man isolated and beat him. Now if he beats one man, there's always another man right on top of him and if there isn't, the first man fouls him.

Needs to adapt his game now he's more closely marked. If Gray plays well Wednesday, maybe sitting out against Stoke might do him good. Bring him on with 20 minutes to go against tireder legs and let him try and work his magic to get his confidence back.

Pretty insulting to question his character and professionalism if you ask me but then it's comforting to know we have so many psychologists using the forum in case I ever need help from one.

All players are consummate professionals with cast iron characters, not questioning his by the way. Why would you need to be a psychologist? Aint we watching football not questioning them as they lie on a couch and taking notes? 

Think he is also getting disheartened by all the fouls, CR references this

Wtf... He's one of our key men, he's going to be a target for double marking and being fouled.

If he has ambitions of playing for a big club then he should be prepared to be fouled every single game.

All players are consummate professionals with cast iron characters, not questioning his by the way. Why would you need to be a psychologist? Aint we watching football not questioning them as they lie on a couch and taking notes?

If only we were just watching football that would be great. Unfortunately we have comments like "his head has been turned" being used as the definitive reason for a slight drop in performances. Given none of us have any idea what he is thinking or what goes on behind closed doors, people are talking absolute garbage. Has he done a Berahino and thrown his toys out the pram to give people reason to question him? No. Has he given numerous interviews saying how happy he is at Leicester for the time being? Yes. He's been a massive part of what we've achieved over the last 18 months and the cheap shots are sad to see.

The guys has had 1 very poor performance vs Villa, and had 2 penalty's saved, not missed.

For all the good that he has done this season, I think that it's an odd reaction to be giving him any hassle abut his contributions this season.

To be honest, as much as I rate his ability as an attacking threat, he hasn't done enough all season defensively to be a reliable wide midfielder. We need to find a role for him, with less defensive responsibility rather than worry about his penalty's.

Archived