Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stox259

Mahrez

The club have said they aren't interested in selling, the manager has said he doesn't want to sell him, the player and his agent have both come out and said he won't be leaving. BUT IF a £65m, 200k a week bid comes in from Barcelona and Riyad thinks well that sounds alright to me and wants to force a move, what position can the club possibly take from that happening? Yes we could just turn it down out of hand and tell Riyad look just wait until the end of the year and you can go, stay here and make history with Leicester. Actually typing that I retract all of what I typed before. In fact I should delete all this and just not post but I've written it now so.

I can see a scenario at the end of the season where we're literally going to have to offer him over 100k a week just to try and keep him and I find that a bit worrying.

Why would it be worrying?  We get to keep Mahrez, He's under contract so doesn't have as much player power apart from throw a strop.  He'll go when the time is right for the club.

If any of our players think they deserve more than they get without putting in performances then they need to have a look at themselves.  Play like Mahrez you'll get paid.

I can see a scenario at the end of the season where we're literally going to have to offer him over 100k a week just to try and keep him and I find that a bit worrying.

Why?

He's well worth that money and would still be underpaid compared to his peers.

He'll have three years left on his contract and if we make CL I can see him being offered a 12 month extension for £100k+ a week with maybe a minimum fee release clause. CR to ask him for one more year with a promise to sell him the season after if a an elite level club came in for him and with three years left on his contract we get the fee we want.

At the end of the day we can't keep paying our best players £40,000 a week and expect to ever keep any of them (Mahrez is not on 40k week, I'm pretty sure he's on about 18k). Nothing worrying about 100,000k a week for me, if he plays like he is at the minute he's worth more to us than that. This season is massive for us, but if we did go on and win it there are two ways it can go:

1. You keep paying the players small wages and other clubs offer bigger money, we sell them and fall back into mediocrity, learn to cherish "that time we were good in 2015" and accept we are now west brom.

2. You say, right, **** it, onwards and upwards and start paying the wages and the transfer fee's and capitalise big time until you are consistently up there with the big boys.

Am really surprised to learn that lot fans are willing to turn down big money to keep Mahrez and are not tempting that much on capitalizing on him! Am impressed! But will the owners and club see it the same way? I think Mahrez wouldn't mind staying if things continue to be awesome like that. Money is not everything after all.

Is it a gumble to keep him? Or is it an opportunity ? What if his price drops? Or what if his price doubles and sky rocket even more like we saw with some other players.

Me personally would love to see him stay more years. Would be interesting to see how this team grow together.

Am really surprised to learn that lot fans are willing to turn down big money to keep Mahrez and are not tempting that much on capitalizing on him! Am impressed! But will the owners and club see it the same way? I think Mahrez wouldn't mind staying if things continue to be awesome like that. Money is not everything after all.

Is it a gumble to keep him? Or is it an opportunity ? What if his price drops? Or what if his price doubles and sky rocket even more like we saw with some other players.

Me personally would love to see him stay more years. Would be interesting to see how this team grow together.

Who cares if his prices drops as long as he plays for us like he has been doing.  We aren't a club that has to find players to sell every year to keep the books ticking over.  40m or Mahrez? that cheeky smile, furrowed brow and left foot everytime.

If/when he's sold the money we'll have to spend most of it on a great but still inferior player. 

In the position we are things could get very testing. It's almost getting to the point where we may need to qualify for the champions league in order to hold onto the players that are showing their class so well this season. It could be a problem of our own making really. If we were sailing mid table all season and Mahrez was having the odd good game and the odd stinker like he used to then we wouldn't even be having this conversation. I guess it's a question of what do you prefer? Average performances/results and keep the players, top notch results and performances and stand a chance of keeping the players, good performances with some outstanding players but lacking the final results and have no chance of keeping the players.

****ing brilliant to be even having this debate though.

In the position we are things could get very testing. It's almost getting to the point where we may need to qualify for the champions league in order to hold onto the players that are showing their class so well this season. It could be a problem of our own making really. If we were sailing mid table all season and Mahrez was having the odd good game and the odd stinker like he used to then we wouldn't even be having this conversation. I guess it's a question of what do you prefer? Average performances/results and keep the players, top notch results and performances and stand a chance of keeping the players, good performances with some outstanding players but lacking the final results and have no chance of keeping the players.

****ing brilliant to be even having this debate though.

Can't see us selling in Jan. But I agree- if we make the champs league we can keep Mahrez / Vardy / Kante (albeit with bigger contracts) if we miss out I can see Mahrez definitely leaving and possibly the other 2.

18k - 120k a week is one hell of a pay rise and they will want to play for "bigger" clubs if they come knocking. Name a player who is consistent in the last 5-10 years who hasn't made a moved to a bigger club when doing well. Look at Southampton,

Unless we do a Man City.... Which I can't see

This is always an awkward one. As clubs get bigger and start to become successful, the question becomes not whether we can sign better players but whether we can keep the existing ones.

This isn't only about Vardy, Mahrez and probably Kante now. Sure, we can 'push the boat out', offer them massive contracts and keep them. But our success has been based on team spirit and work ethic. That might be spoilt if we end up with a few players on massive wages and more players on a lot lot less.

This is probably why the likes of your Man City's, Arsenals and Man Utds do well season in season out (on average I mean).

They can afford to sign the better players AND pay the bulk of their squads more money so as to equalise salaries out, at least to some extent.

Say if we were to multiply Vardy's wage x3 to keep him, do you think Drinkwater would be ok with that? Or Morgan, who is on the best form of his career? Or Kante who at present could walk into any Premiership first team?

So, the question for a club like City becomes not only do we pay the BEST players the top dollar, but also start to negotiate up the contracts of a number of the other players too? So as to keep a happy squad.

It's a tough decision I think. I think the owners could probably afford to do so, but would they want to?

So, I think there's a lot more to Mahrez or Vardy leaving City or staying, than just those two players. At least, I'd suspect so.

This is always an awkward one. As clubs get bigger and start to become successful, the question becomes not whether we can sign better players but whether we can keep the existing ones.

This isn't only about Vardy, Mahrez and probably Kante now. Sure, we can 'push the boat out', offer them massive contracts and keep them. But our success has been based on team spirit and work ethic. That might be spoilt if we end up with a few players on massive wages and more players on a lot lot less.

This is probably why the likes of your Man City's, Arsenals and Man Utds do well season in season out (on average I mean).

They can afford to sign the better players AND pay the bulk of their squads more money so as to equalise salaries out, at least to some extent.

Say if we were to multiply Vardy's wage x3 to keep him, do you think Drinkwater would be ok with that? Or Morgan, who is on the best form of his career? Or Kante who at present could walk into any Premiership first team?

So, the question for a club like City becomes not only do we pay the BEST players the top dollar, but also start to negotiate up the contracts of a number of the other players too? So as to keep a happy squad.Yes

It's a tough decision I think. I think the owners could probably afford to do so, but would they want to?

So, I think there's a lot more to Mahrez or Vardy leaving City or staying, than just those two players. At least, I'd suspect so.

Team spirit and work ethic based on their abilities and belief in each other being able to do a job due to practice and drills on the training ground.

I think too much is made of (and I hate the phrases people use) big time charlie/upset the apple cart and any other cliche about someone being paid a fiver more a week and it's upsetting the dressing room.  Normally it's followed by we need players who are young ungry with prem experience. 

Our players are on the wages they are because they have worked their way up, if they go to other teams they will get a wage rise to match the expectation of the team and the worth they are due to their ability and experience.  We have to hold onto our players by paying wages expected by a team somewhere between mid table and top 6.  If they know they are being taken care of that's one less thing for them to worry about and just concentrate on the football.

The team will get the contracts they deserve.  If the stats and results are in their favour then they will get paid as the rewards will be passed down, if not work harder.

Seen earlier Hazard had 6 goals and 2 assists this time last year and walked away with Player of the Year at the end of the season with ease. Puts into perspective just how good Mahrez has been for the past 17 games. Haven't seen something like this from a winger in this league since Ronaldo in 07/08.

Mad how he might not even win our player of the year.

I think he will stay till the end of the season

If we win te league, we need to offer him and everybody else and bigger contracts to keep them. Tell them that they are part of something special here and that we have come out of nowhere and are challanging.

Sure it's a team game but players earning less than the best will need to realise that they wouldn't be in such a successful team or earning as much as they are without those better/more influential players.

Like in most jobs pay is commensurate with the scarcity of their skill and the demand for their services.

The basis of most successful teams reaching the upper echelons is identifying your best players, and building the squad round them. You'd imagine if we decided to keep Mahrez, Vardy and Kante on big deals going into Europe, we'd have to double down on that by signing a higher class of player to back them up. So rather than upsetting any existing team ethic, we just apply our current scouting model which priorities attitude.

Beautiful goal....

Liked the ball kid celebration...that's a historic piece of video right there for him!

I liked also the security guard Celebration :)

Indeed Leicester is an awesome club with awesome fans.

Another thing I like is... waking up saturday morning exactly by kick off time 7am (Pacific Time). You have no idea how sweet it is watching your fav game that early in the day! :P so good night everyone!

Also, nice to see RIyad becoming an inspiration for young kids (video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72YJ55WL2s4

Archived