Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

What was your first car?

This is just for me to guage what sort of cars are viable to me really.

I'm in the market for something under a grand and am finding it so tedious and dull. I need to get to Derby two days a week (about 140 miles if I've calculated it correctly) so it won't have to do too much but I am such a picky bleeder that the car has to look somewhat decent or I'm not interested. This has left me with Corsas, 206s and not a whole lot else. I think Fiestas look ugly so have scrapped looking for them.

Can anyone recommend trustworthy dealerships/garages too? Appreciated! :D

You cant be too picky if your budget is under a grand.

My first car was a Ford Fiesta LX 1.25. Great car.

I was involved in an accident where a BMW hit me from behind at 60mph whilst i was stationary. The car took the impact so well my airbags didnt even go off. The boot caved in so was a complete write off but if you looked at it from the front you would never have known it had been in an accident.

So for safety reasons i cant praise enough how good my Ford Fiesta was.

This is just for me to guage what sort of cars are viable to me really.

I'm in the market for something under a grand and am finding it so tedious and dull. I need to get to Derby two days a week (about 140 miles if I've calculated it correctly) so it won't have to do too much but I am such a picky bleeder that the car has to look somewhat decent or I'm not interested. This has left me with Corsas, 206s and not a whole lot else. I think Fiestas look ugly so have scrapped looking for them.

Can anyone recommend trustworthy dealerships/garages too? Appreciated! :D

in regards to garages i just got one from this guy. he is a one person operation but he is good at what he does. gives you 12 month MOT + service + valet on the car and a warrenty. my clutch just cocked up and hes fixed it for me. it really depends where you are located.

http://www.ersgarage.co.uk/

My first was a 1999 Fiesta. Never had any problems with it.

I'd advise looking in the Leicester Mercury for cars too, there's often better deals to be had than what you can find at dealerships. Especially in my case where the bloke selling it (it was his recently deceased dads) wanted rid as soon as he could so I got a very good price.

My first car was a Silver Talbot Samba in 1989. A heap of junk but got me from A to B just about.

If I had a grand budget for my first car now, I'd probably look at a Ford tbh and avoid anything French!

I'd maybe not buy from a dealer initially - you'll probably get more for your money buying private or off e-bay, but higher risk I guess.

Or maybe a car supermarket instead? Good luck!

1952 Hillman, bench front seats, column change, handbrake by drivers door, double declutch. £10.

Great for six seventeen year olds to go drinking all round south Leicestershire in the late 60's, especially as I hadn't passed my test. Remember breaking down at the bottom of a hill near Gaulby and using the winding handle to reverse the car back up the hill (you had to put the car in reverse gear obviously) so we could give it a push start and get going again.

You cant be too picky if your budget is under a grand.

My first car was a Ford Fiesta LX 1.25. Great car.

I was involved in an accident where i reversed into a skip whilst i was drunk. The car took the impact so well my airbags didnt even go off. The boot caved in so was a complete write off but if you looked at it from the front you would never have known it had been in an accident.

So for safety reasons i cant praise enough how good my Ford Fiesta was.

My first car was an Alfa Romeo Giulietta, my dad gave it to me when I was 16 so I could fix it up and have a car when I passed my test, it was taken off me before my 17th birthday because I got suspended from school for hanging a pe teacher by the back of his coat from a coat hook in the changing rooms so I never drove it.

Someone give me £2K so I can just get a Suzuki Swift like I want and be done with it.

Looking at a Renault Clio now, 76k miles, £750. Seems decent to me.

I honestly hate all this though. Such a pain in the arse.

Not a Renault. Once they start getting problems, they get every problem imaginable and then a few extras. Engine problems, electrical problems... Just so expensive. There'll be a reason that car is £750 and you'll find out the first time you're 100 miles from home. Unless you have a lengthy warranty, don't bother with Renault.

VW or Ford. Especially with VW, they just run and run

Someone give me £2K so I can just get a Suzuki Swift like I want and be done with it.

Looking at a Renault Clio now, 76k miles, £750. Seems decent to me.

I honestly hate all this though. Such a pain in the arse. 

You wait until you start getting quotes for insurance, then the list of repairs when you take it to get it's MOT. Don't forget £200 tax too for the privilege of driving on our potholed roads :) 

Archived