Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Guest Kopfkino
Posted

If you're ever in London, head over to the Craft Beer Company, have a massive selection of different ales to try and regularly changes, found some great beers in there.

Posted

I had some Doombar in Cornwall a few years ago and thought it was crap.

 

When I'm out tonight I'll be drinking Tetleys smooth, it's either that or Ansells which aint great.It's keg bitter rather than real ale but I like it.

It was a good pint tonight.

Posted

Jaipur is great on draft.

 

My favourite real ale is probably everards original though, so good on draft.

 

You tried Jaipur X? Never got round to it as it's always £7/8 but heard it's meant to be good.

Currently loving Adnams Broadside for supermarket beers.

  • Like 1
Posted

One of the nicer ones from a bottle is Castlerock's Elsie Mo, available from Morrisons (sometimes).

 

Don't let the fact it's brewed in Nottingham put you off.

 

Is Doombar the one that folk were moaning about because it's marketed as a Cornish Ale but most of it isn't brewed in Cornwall anymore?  Not sure this matters, and there are nicer pints out there anyway.

 

If you're ever in the Lake District or North West generally, Jennings' ales are all really good (passable out of a bottle when you can get them) and I'm a big fan of Bluebird Bitter, which you can enjoy by Lake Coniston while reflecting on the demise of water-speed-record-attempter-but-spectacularly-killed-in-the-process Donald Campbell.  That may sound quite a specific scenario, but worth a try if you're in that neck of the woods

Posted

Old Tom is my current favourite, but only comes in half pint bottles. From Robinson's brewery.

It's also true that Guiness tastes better in Ireland.

Definitely true!

  • 1 year later...
Posted

Working there on the LocAle bar. I was asked why I always seem to be on that bar as it is the busiest. The one people head for first. I never really thought about it that way. First time there was space there and just go back.

They are using scratch type cards this year instead of money. All 10ps and you cross them out for the amount. Its OK but I am used to money. It is easy to cross one more or one less out. Also if the server before has crossed them out in a different way it can be awkrawd. Heading off soon. Stopping off at the Kings and Brooods for their fests first.

Posted

Shall be in there Friday early. Have a beer tasting booked at brewdog tonight also.

@Rincewind I've seen you serving there just to the right of the hall entrance a couple of times. definitely the area everyone goes to first, always busy.

just hope this card system works out. as I'll never be able to keep track of what I'm doing.

Posted
1 hour ago, Rincewind said:

Working there on the LocAle bar. I was asked why I always seem to be on that bar as it is the busiest. The one people head for first. I never really thought about it that way. First time there was space there and just go back.

They are using scratch type cards this year instead of money. All 10ps and you cross them out for the amount. Its OK but I am used to money. It is easy to cross one more or one less out. Also if the server before has crossed them out in a different way it can be awkrawd. Heading off soon. Stopping off at the Kings and Brooods for their fests first.

Sounds like the same system used for the Loughborough (GCR) Beer festival. I think it works out quite well, especially for the organisers. The organisers tend to make more money from this system because they sell the cards and some people forget to return their incomplete cards for partial refunds at the end of their visit. This is probably the main reason for using this system.

Posted
1 hour ago, TiffToff88 said:

I'll be there saturday lunchtime with my dad. Heard a rumour its free entry for CAMRA members. is that true?

 

Yeah it should be - majoirty are free for members.

 

Hinckley Beer Festival use the card system - always have it works fine.

 

Stopped drinking lager about a year ago - only have it once in a while.

 

Massive fan of Hobgoblin Golden and Shipyards IPA on draft reminds me of Cafferys!

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

Does anyone else have the problem that I have that when invited to a mates, or inviting them round yours, for football, games, movies (or whatever you're into), they always bring lagers, and usually not even very nice ones. I take bottles of ale and usually end up drinking them myself. The point being, it's the equivalent of not buying a round, just a drink for yourself.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
Posted
2 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Does anyone else have the problem that I have that when invited to a mates, or inviting them round yours, for football, games, movies (or whatever you're into), they always bring lagers, and usually not even very nice ones. I take bottles of ale and usually end up drinking them myself. The point being, it's the equivalent of not buying a round, just a drink for yourself.

 

When going round someone elses house I take something I like to drink and then hide it and only drink my own stuff ....    Never let anyone see where you've hid it and always take just enough for yourself.     When I have people round I buy somehting I really like and hide it ...   Then I buy some right cheap muck  for everyone else.   If someone asks what you are drinking I say the same cheap muck as you.

 

Works for me ....    :thumbup:

Posted
5 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

nowt wrong with a good lager beer imho

Indeed, but Carling, Fosters, Skol, etc. There's a reason this stuff comes in tins.

Posted

Has to be a Firkin Fox for me..... that or Golden Glory.l; both from the Badger brewery here in Darrrrrrrzet.

Going on a Fjord cruise in July... 70 different bottled beers on board!  I'm gokh to enjoy it.... much! 

Posted

At the real ale festival now, i wish i came sooner. Some pretty good beers on offer but a lot of the ones i had my eye on are already sold out!!

Posted

Starting later this afternoon. A few were selling out on the bar I was on. Did all the Festival specials. Expect a few more will be gone when I het there. On my way now. Nipping in the Salmon on the way.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

Starting later this afternoon. A few were selling out on the bar I was on. Did all the Festival specials. Expect a few more will be gone when I het there. On my way now. Nipping in the Salmon on the way.

Get yourself here now. Getting busy and a lot of people are complaining that there's not enough staff ;)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...