Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TeamRocket

finding a job

Hi all

am looking for a new job but kind of lost at the moment i work 30 p/w in retail and would like to do more hours or even change careers but i dont know why but am scared to leave this job as I know its hard to find a job these day.

But other than wanting 40pw am also fed up of doing everything the supervisor should be doing and not being paid like one. I beeb in retail for more then 12years and been in my present place for 5 and half years.

Does anyone have ideas they can share on how i can find a better job thank you

What kind of thing would you like to do? having any old job because your fed up with what you have at the moment is not the right attitude..you need to sit down and think where you want your life to go..you spend too much time at work to be doing something you hate and your employers will know it..

What kind of thing would you like to do? having any old job because your fed up with what you have at the moment is not the right attitude..you need to sit down and think where you want your life to go..you spend too much time at work to be doing something you hate and your employers will know it..

I really don't know if am honest just cant seemed to find something that makes me think "you know what am happy here" i get in any job your at you'll have bad days etc but its more of having more good day cos at the moment like i said before am acting superior but actually don't get paid like one (and the acting thing has been going on for 2years now) and the fact i want to work more just so i can buy food and pay rent. I really don't know if an honest i feel like the road am on is a dead end road that has no happiness.

go into something you enjoy doing and then progress from there, dont be scared to quit or change your job it won't be the end of the world, something else will come up for you for sure.

You are getting some good advice here but I wouldn't leave the job you have until you have something concrete to go to.  You really have to think what you want to do first and then go from there ...    it may initially involve getting some sort of qualification or experience  .....   or having an idea and setting yourself up.    Be brave but be patient.

Just look for something else. It's daunting especially when you have no idea what you want to do. Depending on your financial commitments you should take a leap of faith. I'm nearly 40 & I've always done manual factory type jobs & ive been utterly miserable. I took a leap of faith last year & now I absolutely love my job. It's totally changed my life. Just go for it.

Thanks everyone i new i could get somr help here :) sorry for the late replys was at work But will definitely look it to something. Might make a brain storm and make a few ideas as i do like plumbing and electrical work when i do odd jobs at home or for the family but really think it might be the 1st step i@ need to take hopefully i can do something before its to late (might be a mid life crisis am going through lol ) but really thanks everyone

You are getting some good advice here but I wouldn't leave the job you have until you have something concrete to go to. You really have to think what you want to do first and then go from there ... it may initially involve getting some sort of qualification or experience ..... or having an idea and setting yourself up. Be brave but be patient.

Thanks am 30 but feel like everyone else has a plan but hoping i can take abit of everything everyone have said and make a plan never thought about it like that to be honest guess just have to be brave and take that step

You spend too long at work for it to be miserable...

Get your CV brushed up

Get on LinkedIn...

Look at re-training?

Do something you enjoy....

Linkedin? Never tried that one to be true but thanks

Thanks am 30 but feel like everyone else has a plan but hoping i can take abit of everything everyone have said and make a plan never thought about it like that to be honest guess just have to be brave and take that step

Linkedin? Never tried that one to be true but thanks

Make sure you do Rocket ...   Good luck !   :thumbup:

Once you've spent over four years in retail then it's too late and you're sucked it, destined to turn into one of those old people on the tills at Morrisons lol

I worked retail for three years and that felt too long, the turnover rate and amount of people you meet as colleagues is very high

Once you've spent over four years in retail then it's too late and you're sucked it, destined to turn into one of those old people on the tills at Morrisons lol

I worked retail for three years and that felt too long, the turnover rate and amount of people you meet as colleagues is very high

This is true, been in retail 5 years now and I'm Bored stiff. Not even moving up the ladder makes it any less dull

You are getting some good advice here but I wouldn't leave the job you have until you have something concrete to go to.  You really have to think what you want to do first and then go from there ...    it may initially involve getting some sort of qualification or experience  .....   or having an idea and setting yourself up.    Be brave but be patient.

Quite true... It's easier to get a job when you've got a job

Don't be afriad to take 1 step back and take 2 steps forward.

Exactly this, think of the long road ahead. If you are unhappy now, imagine in another few years.

I used to work in hospitality, I hated it. Unsociable hours, horrendous staff turnover and the worst management ever. I got into an office job, started out as an office assistant, doing odd jobs for less money I was originally on. Although, I enjoyed the environment. I encouraged myself to learn about the industry and got promoted, twice within just over a year and a half. Better money, better lifestyle, better hours, better people.

All the best!

Thanks everyone i new i could get somr help here :) sorry for the late replys was at work But will definitely look it to something. Might make a brain storm and make a few ideas as i do like plumbing and electrical work when i do odd jobs at home or for the family but really think it might be the 1st step i@ need to take hopefully i can do something before its to late (might be a mid life crisis am going through lol ) but really thanks everyone

Enjoying plumbing will soon wear off if you take it up full time ;)

Nah it's good, I can't stand being in one place for too long- I even get fed up on some of the bigger jobs where you'll be working on it for a couple of months lol

I like the productivity side of it too. Standing back at the end of the day and having something to show for it. Good luck

When you say retail do you mean you work on the shop floor?

What kind of retail do you work in?

Look for internal vacancies, see what jobs there are in head office or regional offices. Companies often like to promote internally or secondments. Having the retail experience will give you an advantage if you wanted to join the purchasing team or logistics or sales departments or marketing, internal communications... You don't need qualifications, even for finance I have a friend who was doing an archaeological dig and there was a vacancy in the finance department while someone was on maternity leave they are now paying for him to do his accountancy exams.

Talk to your manager check the intranet for vacancies just put it out there.

If you like retail, or similar, just not your place, look for companies you want to work for.

Once you've found those companies, find out, or ideally ask them, what they want in an employee.

Then work on developing those skills or experience, outside work or inside work, even if it's only partially the kind of thing you need to develop.

Then start applying for those jobs. On the attempts when you're rejected, find out why. And, the next time you apply, ensure you've got those bases covered.

But, if you're looking to change professions completely: find something you enjoy doing, then do it lots, trying to improve all the time, and eventually provide evidence of your skills / what you've done. Then show that to employers.

go into something you enjoy doing and then progress from there, dont be scared to quit or change your job it won't be the end of the world, something else will come up for you for sure.

As the famous Office quote goes: "it's better to be at the bottom of a ladder you want to be on, than half way up one you dont"

Sessions.

Just entering my 37th year in the workforce.

Never in those 37 years have i thought .."ohh this job makes me happy".

I have enjoyed some more than others, ive had a good time and met some good people, but in the end, my job has existed to just finance my life outside of work.

Im thinking a semi retirement, living off the grid and somewhat self sustaining is the answer.

Good luck in finding what you want to do.. just make the most of what you have.

Just entering my 37th year in the workforce.

Never in those 37 years have i thought .."ohh this job makes me happy".

I have enjoyed some more than others, ive had a good time and met some good people, but in the end, my job has existed to just finance my life outside of work.

Im thinking a semi retirement, living off the grid and somewhat self sustaining is the answer.

Good luck in finding what you want to do.. just make the most of what you have.

Christ man, the phrase is "off grid" not off the grid".  What chance have you got if you don't even know what it is called?

How will you know when we win the Champion League?  THINK WHAT YOU ARE SAYING MAN!!!

Archived