Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
johnny the fox

Cheated out of it..

A lot of good points here. Decision-making by the ref was hardly consistent all game for either team, but the one thing that stands out is the putrid attitude displayed by the Arsenal players. They really do come across as spoilt brats dismayed that they were not getting their way against 'little' Leicester. I always had an admiration for Arsenal, not so any more.

But the major talking points - an Arsenal mate of mine said we were diving, cheating etc, not so sure of that but interesting to hear an opposition take on it. Vardy was a pen, I think Mahrez too, but would like to see it again... Simpson second yellow was a bit of a joke, but maybe he shouldn't have given the ref a reason to. And as for Wasyl... what was he doing?!

All in all though, and considering we were down to 10 men for over half an hour, we did very well. Also, the manner of the result but solid performance will, I think, give us a real motivation to perform well in the coming 9 games (as opposed to getting complacent). So lets turn it into a positive!

This result in the long run will do us good.  It's better for us to come out knowing we had the better of it, and would have continued to do so, had the referee not set us up to lose the game.

I'm struggling to remember the last time we had such a biased, weak referee - it stretches back way further than our last league defeat.

We'll come back stronger than ever from this and it takes the spotlight off us once again, which is exactly how we like it.

Onwards and upwards.

Amazed anyone on here is a) blaming simpson - never was that a second yellow. He should have got a warning first. Kante got wiped out and nothing.

The second penalty was 100% a penalty and monreal should have been off.

The 2nd was a booking, even if it was a soft one.  It would have been for persistent niggles at the least.  It's the first yellow I have a problem with.  That was never a card.  And that's where the ref lost it.

He bottled it.  If that was a game for the neutral, if it was a usual potential title deciding game between Utd and Chelsea, Or City and Arsenal, I would be saying the same thing.  The ref has ruined that game, such a big occasion and he's let it affect him!

Cheated? I wouldn't say so, if you want to go by the laws of the game then you can argue easily that two yellows were correct. The frustration comes when most weeks it's never a sending off, the referee uses his noggin and tries to keep all the players on the pitch. Especially as both were in positions that weren't very threatening and there was plenty of cover... very tame cards.

If you followed the laws of the game exactly then you'd end up with 8 people on each team come the end of the game. Following the laws as they should be Sanchez would have been sent off for waving pretend yellow cards after every tackle. Coquelin could have gone for a second yellow for shoving Mahrez, but they ref does what you'd hope and doesn't follow the letter of the law exactly.

The 2nd was a booking, even if it was a soft one.  It would have been for persistent niggles at the least.  It's the first yellow I have a problem with.  That was never a card.  And that's where the ref lost it.

He bottled it.  If that was a game for the neutral, if it was a usual potential title deciding game between Utd and Chelsea, Or City and Arsenal, I would be saying the same thing.  The ref has ruined that game, such a big occasion and he's let it affect him!

If that was a game between those teams the player would never have been sent off for something so soft.

Cheated? I wouldn't say so, if you want to go by the laws of the game then you can argue easily that two yellows were correct. The frustration comes when most weeks it's never a sending off, the referee uses his noggin and tries to keep all the players on the pitch. Especially as both were in positions that weren't very threatening and there was plenty of cover... very tame cards.

If you followed the laws of the game exactly then you'd end up with 8 people on each team come the end of the game. Following the laws as they should be Sanchez would have been sent off for waving pretend yellow cards after every tackle. Coquelin could have gone for a second yellow for shoving Mahrez, but they ref does what you'd hope and doesn't follow the letter of the law exactly.

I forgot the second yellows for Arsenal players that weren't given...

The game wasn't a dirty one, maybe a bit feisty. The red card ruined an even contest and gave Arsenal the edge

The 2nd was a booking, even if it was a soft one. It would have been for persistent niggles at the least. It's the first yellow I have a problem with. That was never a card. And that's where the ref lost it.

He bottled it. If that was a game for the neutral, if it was a usual potential title deciding game between Utd and Chelsea, Or City and Arsenal, I would be saying the same thing. The ref has ruined that game, such a big occasion and he's let it affect him!

You've said the second was a booking but then called it soft? Any foul can be a booking surely? So you're not really saying anything. As for persistent niggles, there was 5 minutes between the two bookings and no fouls inbetween so that's not right either.

The penalty given against Sterling was possibly the most ridiculous refereeing decision I've seen in a long long time. It was so important to the game and simply bizarre. The standard of refereeing remains very very unpredictable I'm afraid.

I am a ref myself.. i would have given it too if i see it hit his arm (not richoceted from his rib)..  you can';t just jump & leap around and turn your back with your arms in the air to block shots and not expect a penalty - it's called an "un-natural position" for the arms

2nd yellow was harsh but can see why it was given, stupid of Simpson to make the tackle when you could tell atkinson was looking for any chance to get the crowd off his back.

Surprised how many people have glossed over the fact Drinky should've had a straight red. Awful tackle

https://streamable.com/7w9e

You mean the challenge where he wins the ball? No foul, what's wrong with you lot these days! You have all forgotten what a real challenge looks like. I love the fact Drinky hasn't forgotten, we needed someone tough in the middle to shake up the opposition drinky is awesome at that.

Apart from against us and regarding Simpson? You contradict yourself in your own argument Babylon. According to the law Simpson should go off, the ref doesn't follow the law and keeps as many on as possible? Which one is it?

Simpson cards were really soft. He gets the ball in the first challenge and then the second the arsenal players is falling well before Simpson even touches him. The ref seriously has had a mare and let the occasion get to him. Even the pundits are saying that, and the pundits never back us up.

You mean the challenge where he wins the ball? No foul, what's wrong with you lot these days! You have all forgotten what a real challenge looks like. I love the fact Drinky hasn't forgotten, we needed someone tough in the middle to shake up the opposition drinky is awesome at that.

Getting a slight touch on the ball is no excuse for challenging this high on the leg. 

CbPrxRPWwAE6ovx.jpg

Drinky knew it was bad - he apologized straight after the game. 

Stupidly I texted my mate who's an Arsenal fan at halftime telling him they'd be lucky not to be down to 10 men by the end if the ref kept handing out yellow cards like sweets just before HT. That came back to bite me! 

We both agreed that the ref spoiled the game in some respects, he seemed to be giving yellow cards to Arsenal players for fun in the last few minutes of the first half, then reversed his bias in the 2nd.

Vardy's was clearly a penalty, yes he's made sure by trailing a leg but he'd already been tripped and was going down. Mate agreed although he felt it was unfair in real time. 

The Mahrez penalty claim was embarrassing in my opinion, yes there's contact but he's thrown himself to the floor like he's been shot, and needs to watch it back and have a word with himself. But again inconsistent ref'ing, if it's not a penalty isn't it a yellow for diving? Or has he just decided there was contact but not enough for it to be deemed a foul? 

Simpson's 2nd yellow was harsh for me, but his 1st I'm sure would have been for totting up rather than the actual foul he got booked for. Again Arsenal mate agreed the sending off seemed harsh, and was also amazed that Coquelin didn't get booked for shoving Mahrez. 

Was's foul for the free kick, stupid! Especially so with mere seconds left in the game.

Incredibly disappointing to lose it so late on, but we've had a lot of decisions go our way this year and we're still top, so still a lot to feel very positive about :) 

Apart from against us and regarding Simpson? You contradict yourself in your own argument Babylon. According to the law Simpson should go off, the ref doesn't follow the law and keeps as many on as possible? Which one is it?

Simpson cards were really soft. He gets the ball in the first challenge and then the second the arsenal players is falling well before Simpson even touches him. The ref seriously has had a mare and let the occasion get to him. Even the pundits are saying that, and the pundits never back us up.

I haven't contradicted myself at all, the point I was making was there are lots of laws that officials choose to ignore, or don't treat as harshly as the laws dictate they should.

If you want to follow the laws of the game precisely, then you can argue the two cards might be correct. But if you do that, then you should follow all rules precisely and yesterday the game would have ended up with about 8 players on each side with 5 pennos each.

The referee should have used common sense for the Simpson red, as he chose to do when dealing with Arsenal players, in the examples I put down.

Getting a slight touch on the ball is no excuse for challenging this high on the leg. 

CbPrxRPWwAE6ovx.jpg

Drinky knew it was bad - he apologized straight after the game. 

Do you have a video rather than a freeze frame? Edit... just seen it above.

I haven't contradicted myself at all, the point I was making was there are lots of laws that officials choose to ignore, or don't treat as harshly as the laws dictate they should.

If you want to follow the laws of the game precisely, then you can argue the two cards might be correct. But if you do that, then you should follow all rules precisely and yesterday the game would have ended up with about 8 players on each side with 5 pennos each.

The referee should have used common sense for the Simpson red, as he chose to do when dealing with Arsenal players.

Beg your pardon I misread your post. Apologies.

I think cheated is a bit strong but yes decision's certainly could have gone our way,

Regarding Simpson, we all knew the Ref would look to 'even thing's up' and the fact is Danny made it very easy for him. Yes it was soft but as soon as it happened I knew what was going to happen,

The free kick was sheer stupidty on every level. Firstly what was Was thinking and secondly where the **** was our defence?? We only had ourselves to blame for that.

It was horrible to watch and I was devastated when it happened but apart from a soft Red Card which Danny should have been more careful with I don't know what else we were cheated with

CbPrxRPWwAE6ovx.jpg

It might have been a tough challenge but he won the ball. Plenty worse tackles in the game that went Un punished and Un talked about. If the FA punish him for that they should also punish the player who repeatedly fouled Shinji and especially that challenge from behind which was high and no where near the ball.

I think cheated is the wrong word. It’s just very poor refereeing. Simpson’s committed only 3 fouls the whole match and has been booked for two of them. It’s Sanchez’s reaction that’s fooled the ref. Had Mahrez reacted in a similar way when Coquelin pushed him, then it could have been 10 men each. Had our players surrounded the referee demanding action, maybe he would have felt he had to send off Coquelin.

It’s probably a lesson to our players about how disciplined and ruthless you have to be to win titles.

I’m confident that we will come back even stronger after this.

We weren't cheated, you can't say the ref got anything categorically wrong, but we did seem on the wrong end of harsh decisions in the second half, but we got lucky in the first that  Morgan wasn't penalised in the build up to our penalty.

Simpson was naïve, he should have known he was on a yellow and he has to be careful to not give the ref a decision to make, tugging someone back can be a booking, don't do it. The rules of football mean it is all at the ref's discretion, you just can't give him a decision to make.

Disagree with anyone saying Mahrez dived, he is twisting and turning and his balance is off, when his knee makes contact with Monreal's leg, or the other way round depending on how you look at it. It is hard to stay on your feet.

I think cheated is the wrong word. It’s just very poor refereeing. Simpson’s committed only 3 fouls the whole match and has been booked for two of them. It’s Sanchez’s reaction that’s fooled the ref. Had Mahrez reacted in a similar way when Coquelin pushed him, then it could have been 10 men each. Had our players surrounded the referee demanding action, maybe he would have felt he had to send off Coquelin.

It’s probably a lesson to our players about how disciplined and ruthless you have to be to win titles.

I’m confident that we will come back even stronger after this.

This.

If Mahrez goes to ground when pushed, and gets up going at the referee, it's 10 vs 10. No doubt.

Archived