Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Hitesh

Sports Personality TOTY

39 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The Olympics isn't a team sport, there are some team sports within it but the rest are individual sports with people just competing for the same group of countries. Would be total nonsense to award them the team trophy... especially when it's a result of a huge influx of cash into sports through the lottery funding.

Heard somewhere that each medal cost over 4 million, that's over 1/4 billion pound lottery funding for team GB. Its like giving the award to Chelsea for coming 2nd in the league. But since the Olympics is exclusively on the BBC, they'll probably get the award, especially if we are near the bottom of the table come the Winter.

37 minutes ago, LanguedocFox said:

We should be TOTY, but we are Leicester City, so I doubt it will happen: women's hockey is more likely. And by the same token, either Jason Kenny or Laura Trott (maybe both) for Personality of the Year, rather than our Jamie.

Just being realistic.

The Ladies Hockey team would be about a 9/1 shot when we'd be about 2/5.

Would be 'nice' but I honestly don't care. If have no interest in spotty totty :D

Last season was a high enough. Nothing can better it. It'd be another trophy for the trophy case for sure but... meh.

For me, we were team of the year but this BBC gong-fest is about something else entirely. Spurs fans will vote for the 2nd favourite just to try and deny us.  

44 minutes ago, sm1 said:

Heard somewhere that each medal cost over 4 million, that's over 1/4 billion pound lottery funding for team GB. Its like giving the award to Chelsea for coming 2nd in the league. But since the Olympics is exclusively on the BBC, they'll probably get the award, especially if we are near the bottom of the table come the Winter.

It's not really though, is it. Because we're competing with nations like the USA, China and Russia, which have much bigger populations (and probably more funding too). Plus countries like Australia ended up spending a lot more per medal than we did! 2nd in Brazil was an amazing achievement; if an Olympic team wins, then that's fair enough, in my opinion.

There's a lot of tin-foil "the media hate us because we're Leicester City" agendas being pushed in this thread. Funnily enough, I've read the same opinion on almost football forums; seems to me that almost every football team has fans that believe that the media is against them. 

Yeah, we're definitely in with a good shout of winning, and probably should be favourites (probably a little unlucky to have won it on an Olympic year) as in terms of achievements, ours was probably the most impressive. But if we don't win, then I'm not going to be too gutted, and it certainly doesn't mean that the country suddenly has an agenda against Leicester City.

If we don't win an award I can see them doing a "Special Achievement" new award to honour the team and given the links that Gary has with us then there is a real opportunity for them to do something. They'll have to refer to the MoTD antics and him writing us off from the start to then wearing "pants" at the start of the season.   

People are forgetting what Wales achieved too, though of course that was only over a few games as opposed to over the course of a season like us.

Also, technically Team GB is only really a "team" in name - yeah there's branding and stuff that is done on the whole but overall it's a wide range of sports that are separately funded and supported, and don't really have much to do with each other aside from travel and publicity. 

Team GB hockey and Badminton should be nominated but not Team GB as a whole IMO. 

Besides, even if Team GB were nominated this prize really ought to be ours. 

team of the year should go to leicester city or the womens olympic hockey team. mo is already moaning that he will never win it so whether he is trying to sway voters i don't know. i love cycling so would love to see a cyclist get it it won't be froome because he hasn't much of a personality but laura trott or jason kenny who both perforemed brilliantly.

how about manager of the year king claudio?

I'm sure the hype surrounding the Olympics will settle down soon, and everyone will remember that they have zero interest in hockey by the time the vote happens.

In all seriousness, even if The Netherlands were favourites to win the gold over GB, and the cycling team did very well, I would be very surprised if we didn't win it. I think I remember hearing that 5000-1 is the highest single event to pay out in gambling history, making it the biggest sporting upset/achievement of all time. 

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

The Olympics isn't a team sport, there are some team sports within it but the rest are individual sports with people just competing for the same group of countries. Would be total nonsense to award them the team trophy... especially when it's a result of a huge influx of cash into sports through the lottery funding.

I agree with you - but as I've said elsewhere, I keep hearing "Team GB".

Seems on here, bias is the in word.

Yes city were brilliant, and did the unexpected over 38 game,9 month period.

Vardy, Mahrez, Kante were the single suprise packages within football.

Olympic Champions worked upto their achievements over 4 years,

then competing over a max of 2 weeks to try and realise a dream.

I personally cant and wont get into arguments over which group, team,

individual deserve the highest accolades, in a hyped up competition for TV.

They all got their deserved trophies and Accolades, by earning the right to be

champions of their own disciplines.

If any sportsman/woman feel hard done by missing out on this extra acknowledgement,

hype as taken over the reason of their own competition.This is just  a gratis fun recognition.

There are many fanatical sport fans, who follow intensily that sport, and others who follow

all sports intensily across the board.

I just hope these unknowns and the fans on this forum, are not so spitefull that they demean or belittle

the chosen team or individual who are voted as worthy winners.

They were all excellent in their successes..

2 hours ago, Charl91 said:

It's not really though, is it. Because we're competing with nations like the USA, China and Russia, which have much bigger populations (and probably more funding too). Plus countries like Australia ended up spending a lot more per medal than we did! 2nd in Brazil was an amazing achievement; if an Olympic team wins, then that's fair enough, in my opinion.

There's a lot of tin-foil "the media hate us because we're Leicester City" agendas being pushed in this thread. Funnily enough, I've read the same opinion on almost football forums; seems to me that almost every football team has fans that believe that the media is against them. 

Yeah, we're definitely in with a good shout of winning, and probably should be favourites (probably a little unlucky to have won it on an Olympic year) as in terms of achievements, ours was probably the most impressive. But if we don't win, then I'm not going to be too gutted, and it certainly doesn't mean that the country suddenly has an agenda against Leicester City.

Its all about the funding. India have nearly 1.3 billion people but spend next to nothing on sport and hence hardly get any medals. China likewise hardly got any medals a few decades ago. As soon as they start investing money in sport they reaped the rewards. I think we probably spent second to the USA and hence finished second in the medal table, latest figures are we have spent 350M on just the Rio Olympics. Personally I couldn't care less about SPOTY as i haven't watched it for 20+ years.

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Isn't the SPOTY a public vote?

As some have mentioned, we might well be doing dead shit having had an embarrassing Champions League campaign. Out of people's minds a bit.

It's always going to favour athletes that do well later in the year.

Bit of a stupid contest really.

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

The Olympics isn't a bloody team sport, so why should Team GB win it?

It's like saying the premier league wins team of the year.

yup got no idea why a load of alleged drug cheats who ride a piece of metal on wheels round a wooden floor deserve tofy.

It is a duff competition.... lord knows who votes. Steve redgrave was the "personality of the century"... yet he has no personality and was by all accounts a self centered chump to those who carried him to his medals. Rowing is not a meritocracy... as msythew syed says: if africa did rowing redgrave would not have won one of those medals. 

1 minute ago, m4DD0gg said:

yup got no idea why a load of alleged drug cheats who ride a piece of metal on wheels round a wooden floor deserve tofy.

Don't be daft.

I don't know why a bunch of overpaid prima donnas deserve it for kicking a bag of air about.

Just now, AKCJ said:

Don't be daft.

I don't know why a bunch of overpaid prima donnas deserve it for kicking a bag of air about.

Im not, the olympics is shit.

Goes to show that proper investment in any sport can reap rewards.

6 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

How is the Olympics shit?

1 - Drug cheats are rife, entire nations banned for systematic government backed doping. I would be very surprised if our lot are 100% clean.

2 - The devalue of the tournament based on the above.

3 - Truly shit boring sports e.g. Synchronised swimming, Synchronised jumping off a spring board into a swimming pool. I know its subjective and opinion based but by god its dull as.

However the point about TOFY will be a crying shame if Leicester dont win, obviously i am a fan but for a team who were almost relegation certainties, with a team of missfits and a written off manager can win the most prestigious league title in world football would be a crying shame. 

Archived