Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ramboacdc

another school shooting

I was in New York last month and got into a chat in a bar with a nice couple from Texas. After the standard questions to me like "What is the Queen really like?" and comments like "We'd love to visit London but are scared about all the terrorist attacks", we got on to the subject of guns.

The guy was astonished when I told him I'd never handled a gun, or even seen one (other than being carried by armed police at airports etc). He couldn't grasp how we didn't feel scared by not being armed? I said "well, no one is (generalizing slightly) - the criminals rarely carry guns and so neither to the general population". I told him "if someone wants to rob you they just ask you nicely for your wallet and you hand it over, wishing each other a nice day in the process!"

He was wrongly informed that all guns are banned in the UK - they aren't - you just need to demonstrate a reason for needing one and that you are responsible to own it.

I told him that I "get" the whole constitution and right to defend oneself stuff but do you really need a cache full of assault rifles to do this? 

• Like 3

So, let's say the guy has a mental illness, doesn't that mean that even a mentally ill person can get a gun so easily?

I don't get this infatuation with heavy guns. what do you need an  M4 for? I can get having a Cult or a Glock, even a Shotgun is fine for protaction but what do you need a light assault rifle for?

i know if i was gonna get one of those, it's not about "protection" or killing just 1 person.

Edited by the fox

22 hours ago, Buce said:

That's not going to happen - the NRA funded his election campaign to the tune of $30,000,000.

Surely if the NRA were looking at their own future, they'd realise that a major change in the way gun laws and gun ownership is administered in the US and that will mean some kind of amnesty or making it illegal to own a gun for a short period of time until there's some sort of control on who owns a gun.

The argument about checking the mental background of someone that wishes to buy a gun weapon, I can't see this as a strong case for at the moment.

For example, Stephen Paddock, the Los Angeles killer apparently didn't have a history of mental health issues.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

I've made this point on here before, but here it is highlighted again:

Republicans: "This isn't a gun problem, it's a mental health problem!"

Everyone else: "Then let's put in some more funding for mental healthcare so that it is more accessible, and people can get the help they need and this doesn't happen as much."

Republicans: "Um....no."

Edited by leicsmac
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

The argument about checking the mental background of someone that wishes to buy a gun weapon, I can't see this as a strong case for at the moment.

For example, Stephen Paddock, the Los Angeles killer apparently didn't have a history of mental health issues.

Don't think it's a solution, more of an "every little helps" thing. 

2 minutes ago, Wookie said:

The Republicans are almost a caricature of themselves, on the whole we're a much moderate country and of that I'm glad.

Yeah - people rag on the Tories a lot (not without good cause) but if they want to see what proper right-winging is all about they should take a look over here.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Evidently he had mental health issues just undiagnosed. Get your point though. 

On 18/02/2018 at 00:16, somebum said:

Want the President to change the constitution?

It would just be an ammendment. At the time it was written people only had Muskets. It was not written with Assault rifles in mind. Jim Jefferies is a comedian but makes some very valid points 

Edited by desertfox2
Jj

18 hours ago, the fox said:

So, let's say the guy has a mental illness, doesn't that mean that even a mentally ill person can get a gun so easily?

I don't get this infatuation with heavy guns. what do you need an  M4 for? I can get having a Cult or a Glock, even a Shotgun is fine for protaction but what do you need a light assault rifle for?

i know if i was gonna get one of those, it's not about "protection" or killing just 1 person.

https://comb.io/4EkiEa

Edited by The Doctor
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, desertfox2 said:

Think it's a good move by Trump to try and ban Bump stocks. A move in the right direction. I realize it wasn't used in Florida but was in Vegas. Good move IMO

The only thing stopping turning ar type guns into fully automatic weapons is the fear of getting caught, and i don't think that people who do this sort of stuff for a hobby are bothered about getting caught. Had to work in a place called fond du lac in Wisconsin once and there was a Saturday gun market on the town green so i thought i'd go and have a look, couldn't believe the weapons that were for sale. Proper rambo stuff

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43140105

Alex Jones has a lot to answer for making this kind of stuff much more popularised IMO.

That man is an utter lunatic. I can never quite work out if he genuinely believes his own propaganda or not. I don't think some people realise when they dream up these conspiracy theories that they are talking about actual peoples lives. Imagine being exposed to such an atrocity only for some lunatic and his equally insane followers to accuse you of being a paid actor. 

Either way, she's never really lived up to Christine Lampard.

47 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

That man is an utter lunatic. I can never quite work out if he genuinely believes his own propaganda or not. I don't think some people realise when they dream up these conspiracy theories that they are talking about actual peoples lives. Imagine being exposed to such an atrocity only for some lunatic and his equally insane followers to accuse you of being a paid actor. 

He's as mad as a box of frogs. So it's probable he does believe it. He's also one of those annoying people that just starts shouting and trying to ridicule anyone who disagrees with him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Guiza said:

He's a fanatic and a crank but you can read just as bad crap on here as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Guiza said:

He's claimed it's playing a character to try and keep his kids in a divorce :http://time.com/4743025/alex-jones-infowars-divorce-donald-trump/

On 20/02/2018 at 14:15, Wymeswold fox said:

Well logic says that sort of check should probably be in place already. 

Of course, the undiagnosed wouldn’t show up with these checks - and they’d have no effect on those already holding guns, so you are right it’d be as futile as pissing into the wind.

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I know how we can have less shootings in schools - lets have more guns in schools.

Jesus ****ing Christ. That country.

Sad thing is - it might just work if they did it; but it could just lead to someone inclined to do something like that to pick another open target or use other means to attack (just like we’ve seen terroists do).