Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Porto (home) Post Match Thread 1 - 0

really great performance, Porto are a decent experienced European side and we defended really well and Slimani looks like he will bag a hatful of goals for us and is developing a great partnership with vardy.the first English team to win their first two champions league games is an incredible achievement and we just keep setting records great performance, brilliant result. come on you foxes

was I the only one not that impressed with Porto. thought we were pretty comfortable throughout bar 1 bad decision from kasper coming for a cross he was never going to get and them having a potshot off the post. sure they looked tidy enough on the ball but I couldn't even tell you who played up front cos I never really had to consider it because they barely created a chance. 

We hung on in there. If Porto had equalised then it wouldn't have been undeserved or against the run of play.

Overall, I thought us patchy and disjointed. We never really got it together. For that, I'll credit Porto with disrupting us and crowding us out. They kept 3, sometimes 4 on Mahrez, and generally stifled us up front. Well played Porto in that respect. But we were also disrupted by them falling over and the ref stopping play. They did tend to go to ground easily.

I thought Amartey had a good though not excellent game. He has been better but he's certainly been a great deal worse. I thought 'mare of the day' went to Albrighton; nothing was going right for him and he often looked frustrated as a result. Personally, I would have brought Schlupp on for MA for the last 10 and let Jeff run the ball out of defence. It may not have amounted to much but he'd have had fresh legs and would have kept Porto wary. Couple of good saves from Kasper, one he made look easy owed perhaps more to chance than decision. Still, you make your own luck. I don't know what it is about King but I don't seem to see him do much other than run about. Maybe that's valiant and what we need, closing the opposition down etc, I dunno. That's not to say he doesn't show some good touches, just that I mainly see him just running around.

My MOTM (and this will surprise you maybe) was Hernandez. Not that he put in the best performance but that he was the one I was most unsure of but needn't have been. I could see him regularly replacing Simpson and that is a cause for relief; we're weak at RB.  

2 minutes ago, RastaDog said:

We hung on in there. If Porto had equalised then it wouldn't have been undeserved or against the run of play.

Overall, I thought us patchy and disjointed. We never really got it together. For that, I'll credit Porto with disrupting us and crowding us out. They kept 3, sometimes 4 on Mahrez, and generally stifled us up front. Well played Porto in that respect. But we were also disrupted by them falling over and the ref stopping play. They did tend to go to ground easily.

I thought Amartey had a good though not excellent game. He has been better but he's certainly been a great deal worse. I thought 'mare of the day' went to Albrighton; nothing was going right for him and he often looked frustrated as a result. Personally, I would have brought Schlupp on for MA for the last 10 and let Jeff run the ball out of defence. It may not have amounted to much but he'd have had fresh legs and would have kept Porto wary. Couple of good saves from Kasper, one he made look easy owed perhaps more to chance than decision. Still, you make your own luck. I don't know what it is about King but I don't seem to see him do much other than run about. Maybe that's valiant and what we need, closing the opposition down etc, I dunno. That's not to say he doesn't show some good touches, just that I mainly see him just running around.

My MOTM (and this will surprise you maybe) was Hernandez. Not that he put in the best performance but that he was the one I was most unsure of but needn't have been. I could see him regularly replacing Simpson and that is a cause for relief; we're weak at RB.  

Totally agree - Hernandez looks a better RB than CB.  Also thought Kasper could have cost us 2 goals (that Watford like rush of blood off his line in the first half and then his flap with Huth at the end).

18 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Why does Slimani stick his tongue out after he scores?

I think it is just a culture thing. Here ( in Algeria ) biting your tongue is a thing sometimes people do  when they are angry or about to lay the smackdown on someone. That's why he punches the air when he celebrates. But That is just me putting my two cents in it

Performance was ok, result excellent, being there and witnessing us winning a Champions League game, something I never even thought about as being possible can never be taken away. Just a great experience.

Thought Drinkwater was very good, the full-backs were solid, Amartey did ok, Slimani took his chance, Vardy harrassed without too much success and the centre backs by and large dealt with things. Game wasn't helped by the referee at all.

Guest CityFan 06

Some night yesterday at the KP. Excellent all round team performance and we did well to grind out our second Champions League win. The Algerian pairing combining to give us the all important goal and win, and great distribution from Albrighton by the way with that initial ball to Mahrez. Hearing the CL music was magnificent and it's great to see our club competing in Europe.

2 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

was I the only one not that impressed with Porto. thought we were pretty comfortable throughout bar 1 bad decision from kasper coming for a cross he was never going to get and them having a potshot off the post. sure they looked tidy enough on the ball but I couldn't even tell you who played up front cos I never really had to consider it because they barely created a chance. 

Andre Silva. 

They were pretty shite for 2/3 of the game and then started to play like I expected them too for the entire game, that's when said pot shot, post hittage, and too many corners for comfort occurred, and this is when they somehow managed to sway the match statistics to make it look like they were unlucky to lose a game they were barley in. I think we probably encouraged that as we seemed to prioritize shutting up shot in the last 15/20 when it wasn't really necassery. I think had they settled early they could of got something out of the game, but then again this is always an issue they have in England. 

15 hours ago, Thracian said:

Proud night, thrilled to witness a piece of history, delighted to see Slimani win the game for us with what he clearly does best and to witness Amartey responding to criticism with a performance that challenged for Man of the Match.

Pleased to that our recently maligned defence kept a clean sheet despite considerable and probably unnecessary pressure in the last 10 minutes. Happy to acknowledge another assist for Mahrez and almost reeling to see us sitting top of our Champions League group with two wins from two games with four goals and none conceded.

There's sentences there I never dreamed I'd write in over 60 years of following City and if there's more to come bring it on.

Credit too for the fans who generated a pretty good atmosphere although our basically negative tactics of the second half meant the game was never going to be remembered as a thriller.

Again, i though we gave Porto more credit than they deserved and the more we sat back as the final whistle approached, the more we risked giving victory away - and for no reason that I could see.

Not for the first time the pressure wasn't forced on us - we invited it - but I well realise that my belief that we're better than that won't matter to our followers because we won - but it certainly would have mattered if one of Porto's late chances had gone in.

Because at no time did Porto genuinely threaten to dominate. They had no-one showing great pace, skill or the aerial capability to disturb us and yet we willingly conceded ground to them towards the end and we'll pay for it before long. 

Otherwise 7/10 for a job well done and further progress in our quest to qualify for the final stages.    .                

I fully agree with your assessment. Our insistence on playing it direct at every opportunity during the last 20 minutes was particularly frustrating, especially as we didn't create a single clear cut chance that I remember after our goal. Mahrez and Albrighton were particularly wasteful. The former has so much skill and ability to dictate play, why do we insist on launching it forward at every opportunity and run ourselves to the ground chasing the ball when it inevitably comes back?

I have come to expect a bit more from Mahrez now and while he did provide a sumptuous cross for the goal, it felt like 8 out of 10 of his attempted forward passes didn't find their target.

41 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Andre Silva. 

They were pretty shite for 2/3 of the game and then started to play like I expected them too for the entire game, that's when said pot shot, post hittage, and too many corners for comfort occurred, and this is when they somehow managed to sway the match statistics to make it look like they were unlucky to lose a game they were barley in. I think we probably encouraged that as we seemed to prioritize shutting up shot in the last 15/20 when it wasn't really necassery. I think had they settled early they could of got something out of the game, but then again this is always an issue they have in England. 

is he meant to be good? also did their algerian play? was excited for that but again no idea. 

i said that to the fella who sits by us last night, the premier league champions could be playing my sunday league team but if they insisted on dropping that deep and being happy with 1-0 it'd still be nervy towards the end. can see why copenhagen got a draw from them, they aren't very good. hopefully copenhagen complete the hat trick of incredibly poor champions league group seeds and we win every game in the group. it looked a weak group on paper but two games in calling it a europa league group even looks harsh on the europa league lol 

41 minutes ago, shen said:

I fully agree with your assessment. Our insistence on playing it direct at every opportunity during the last 20 minutes was particularly frustrating, especially as we didn't create a single clear cut chance that I remember after our goal. Mahrez and Albrighton were particularly wasteful. The former has so much skill and ability to dictate play, why do we insist on launching it forward at every opportunity and run ourselves to the ground chasing the ball when it inevitably comes back?

I have come to expect a bit more from Mahrez now and while he did provide a sumptuous cross for the goal, it felt like 8 out of 10 of his attempted forward passes didn't find their target.

willing to let mahrez give it away more often than your average player seen as he creates his own chance to give it away. if that makes sense. two or three times last night he got given the ball in a ridiculous position where any mortal being would've been tackled immediately. but he nutmegs one, drops a shoulder and then makes a bad pass. at least that's more exciting than just giving it away in the first place :D 

thought mahrez worked the hardest I've seen for a while. He was always tracking back and even if he didn't make a successful tackle he was putting the player under pressure.

Still dont get why Slimani doesn't jump for more balls hoofed out by Kasper, but if he keeps scoring then who cares.

Amartey was good again. Just clearly can't do it two games running....

7 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

willing to let mahrez give it away more often than your average player seen as he creates his own chance to give it away. if that makes sense. two or three times last night he got given the ball in a ridiculous position where any mortal being would've been tackled immediately. but he nutmegs one, drops a shoulder and then makes a bad pass. at least that's more exciting than just giving it away in the first place :D 

I see what you're getting at, but a little better ball management wouldn't go amiss sometimes. He obviously still needs to learn too. He's only had two seasons at top level football, so I'll cut him some slack. He's a clever player though and has previously not shirked at a 30m backwards dribble to keep hold of the ball and spread play out to the other flank. He's perfectly capable and when we're in a position like we were yesterday, risking a turnover literally 5-10 secs after we won the ball back puts unnecessary pressure on the rest of the team who will eventually tire, which was visible yesterday.

12 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

is he meant to be good? also did their algerian play? was excited for that but again no idea. 

i said that to the fella who sits by us last night, the premier league champions could be playing my sunday league team but if they insisted on dropping that deep and being happy with 1-0 it'd still be nervy towards the end. can see why copenhagen got a draw from them, they aren't very good. hopefully copenhagen complete the hat trick of incredibly poor champions league group seeds and we win every game in the group. it looked a weak group on paper but two games in calling it a europa league group even looks harsh on the europa league lol 

Not really, young, probably the best they've got but need better if you ask me. Porto pretty much in the competition by default as Braga are never gonna be good enough to catch them in not because they are particularly good at this level anymore, Plus they woefully underestimated us (well the fans did anyway) Sporting and Befica are both currently much better sides and the loss of Slimani wont change that, we were probably a bit over worried about them because they are a bigish name and the good result they got against Roma. No I didn't see Brahmi's name anywhere don't think he was even on the bench. 

For all that though they only let the one in and did worry me. I'd prefer it if we could make the trip to the Drago and dead rubber so we can get wankered without having to worry about getting a result.

3 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

Not at all. I went to the game with two members of my family we all fancied Leicester to win. Porto have a poor away record in the Champions League and Leicester are pretty formidable at home.

But it was more than that. I thought we had the players to score against any opposition and to win against Porto. I think we can win away too but it depends on our approach. I'd like to see us set our own agenda instead of just trying to pinch a point. 

I don't want us play-acting by feigning injury and trying to get people sent off like the Porto lot either. It was shameful and the referee too looked like a clone and as if all his decisions were influenced by his governing body who'd been in turn influenced by the insurers to see that the game was reduced to being like a no contact pillow fight with little pillows.

Clearly, once you become a European, you forfeit any right to be an individual and to see things your way.     

But, make no mistake, Porto will be trying it on even more persuasively at home. And I don't want us to be a part of it. I want us to win properly and fairly or not at all. Sport has had enough shit thrown at it - by people in it - as it is.     

Archived