Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Slimani

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

I said IF the Chinese offer in Jan was genuine, we should have snatched their hand off.

We should have snatched their hand off. I couldn't believe how many were saying we shouldn't accept 30/40 mill for Slimani

lol

Utterly ridiculous.

Because it would have left us with 1 proper striker.

The other one refuses to play for us.

3 hours ago, Redouane said:

I feel like Shakespeare messed up tactically by playing him when such high attacking pressure was happening from the west ham side. Hes not a pacey player so he wouldn't serve much use on the counter.

Agree. It was a bit odd - Vardy was an obvious out ball and Slim just isn't

4 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Because it would have left us with 1 proper striker.

The other one refuses to play for us.

Refused to play for Ranieri then apologised and committed to the team when he didn't get a move he was promised

I get why people are disappointed. I sure as heck am. But Slimani can play. He can finish. He is having a terrible run of bad luck, he has had injuries that have slowed him up, but we create opportunities when he's on the field. He will revert to the mean and score in a flurry with health and playing time. Sucks, but he is no Musa. 

8 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

Fair enough. 

He doesn't have Slim's intelligence when it comes to runs, playing without the ball and positioning himself near or inside the box. Slim is also actually good in linking up in one-two and has a better vision.

Most of you just seem to watch the game just where the ball is and don't pay attention to what players without the ball actually do, how they position themselves, how they call for the ball, open channels etc. If it were the case, you'd understand how much of a threat Slim is, even if he didn't bury some very obvious goals. Example Sevilla: Counter attack that led to Vardy's chance at the 88' min. You lot forgot how much he weighted in champions league, the game against ManCity, West Ham etc. You're just wanting to have him gone and frankly I hope he'll go. 

When the day comes where someone put a 30 Mio. price tag on Ulloa's head, even if just for fun, please let me know. 

In the meanwhile that's my last post about him. It's a lost cause on this forum.

This is right. What is most telling is the opportunities that are created when he is on the field. When we couldn't buy a goal in Feb. and played Slim as a sub, we suddenly start creating opportunities that hadn't been there all game -- the opposing defense suddenly has another Vardy-level threat, and has to guard against the cross and devote resources to track him. With Mahrez so frequently  doubled, Slim is the sort of threat that forces teams to play us a bit more honestly.  He is going to go on a rush of goals if we keep playing him.

7 minutes ago, vanity said:

This is right. What is most telling is the opportunities that are created when he is on the field. When we couldn't buy a goal in Feb. and played Slim as a sub, we suddenly start creating opportunities that hadn't been there all game -- the opposing defense suddenly has another Vardy-level threat, and has to guard against the cross and devote resources to track him. With Mahrez so frequently  doubled, Slim is the sort of threat that forces teams to play us a bit more honestly.  He is going to go on a rush of goals if we keep playing him.

True, he has missed some chances, but it was because he isn't mentally sharp at the moment, he is in a bad form and players in bad form always miss more. But I reckon it will only take one goal, if he scores one goal, I think he will revert this bad form. But for me I'm like ZeGuy it is better for him to go, if he keeps being benched he doesn't have nothign to do here.

Ulloa gets better with every game he doesn't play.

People are forgetting the months at a time he would go without being able to trap a ball or score a goal. The bloke scored 1 goal between September and April in the Great Escape season (when he was first choice) and 1 before February last season.

No chance is he a better player than Slimani. Evidently Slimani is hugely out of form at the moment but he consistently gets in good positions to score and his output has been really quite prolific in terms of goals and assists per 90 minutes - if he was fit for 40 games a season he'd be on for 30 goals/assists which I don't think anybody would be complaining about even at £30 million.

The biggest problem with him is that he's injured all the time. That's why he's a waste of money, not because he's shit.

9 minutes ago, ttfn said:

People are forgetting the months at a time he would go without being able to trap a ball or score a goal. The bloke scored 1 goal between September and April in the Great Escape season (when he was first choice) and 1 before February last season.

No chance is he a better player than Slimani. Evidently Slimani is hugely out of form at the moment but he consistently gets in good positions to score and his output has been really quite prolific in terms of goals and assists per 90 minutes - if he was fit for 40 games a season he'd be on for 30 goals/assists which I don't think anybody would be complaining about even at £30 million.

The biggest problem with him is that he's injured all the time. That's why he's a waste of money, not because he's shit.

It seems to be the FT way that, for some reason, certain players are vilified almost instantly, but some are given chance after chance after chance. A kind of attitude where it's almost that someone SHOULD be good, so they are good, at least in some people's eyes.

The reality is that, so far, we have not seen anything like a top class, thirty million pound striker in Slimani. To make a comparison, I think Lukaku (often criticized on here) cost a similar figure? Both bigger strikers, both good in the air, neither rapid, but both strong. Yet Lukaku looks like he's going to score every time he plays. Slim looks like he's not going to score if he played 120 minutes.

He can't help his price tag. That was us being stupid. But for anyone to say anything other than he's just been hugely disappointing so far... well as I said, it seems to be the FT way...

18 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

The reality is that, so far, we have not seen anything like a top class, thirty million pound striker in Slimani. 

League and champions league combined: 6 goals from 28 shots (conversion rate of 21% - for comparison, over the last three seasons where he's got 20 in each, everyone's golden boy Kane has a conversion rate of 19%), 3 assists. Played 1143 minutes, so a goal every 190 minutes with, let's be fair, poor service for months.

If he were fit for a full season we're talking a 20 goal a season striker. In the modern market 30m is the sort of fee you pay for that. The problem is simply that if, particularly given it's been a reoccurrence of the groin injury each time.

19 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It seems to be the FT way that, for some reason, certain players are vilified almost instantly, but some are given chance after chance after chance. A kind of attitude where it's almost that someone SHOULD be good, so they are good, at least in some people's eyes.

The reality is that, so far, we have not seen anything like a top class, thirty million pound striker in Slimani. To make a comparison, I think Lukaku (often criticized on here) cost a similar figure? Both bigger strikers, both good in the air, neither rapid, but both strong. Yet Lukaku looks like he's going to score every time he plays. Slim looks like he's not going to score if he played 120 minutes.

He can't help his price tag. That was us being stupid. But for anyone to say anything other than he's just been hugely disappointing so far... well as I said, it seems to be the FT way...

Totally agree with the price tag comment, we place too much emphasis on the monetary value instead of making the judgement call of is he actually going to fit into how we have/ are developing the team to be playing ... and for me he doesn't bring anything really new ... and that's what has been so disappointing, because he clearly is a talented player .... so how do we play him to get the very best out of him, or is it really the better option to move him on and reuse the remaining sale cash elsewhere?

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

League and champions league combined: 6 goals from 28 shots (conversion rate of 21% - for comparison, over the last three seasons where he's got 20 in each, everyone's golden boy Kane has a conversion rate of 19%), 3 assists. Played 1143 minutes, so a goal every 190 minutes with, let's be fair, poor service for months.

If he were fit for a full season we're talking a 20 goal a season striker. In the modern market 30m is the sort of fee you pay for that. The problem is simply that if, particularly given it's been a reoccurrence of the groin injury each time.

Stop making sense, will you  ; the plonkers reading this forum can't cope with it.

1 hour ago, ttfn said:

Good job he managed 5 goals in his first 6 games then as he was the only one capable of scoring. 

Also he didn't score 1 goal between September & April he scored 3. Before slagging the bloke off maybe you should check first.

He also scored twice before February last season again check facts. He also stepped up when needed in the business of the season. Vital goals against Norwich, West Ham & Swansea.

22 minutes ago, Orange seat said:

Bit baffled that MOTD didn't show his 1on1 with the keeper towards the end of the game on last nights show. 

it was shown on the highlights on Sky, i think if he'd have got more mins under his belt he'd have finished it ;was a very good chance tbh, 

27 minutes ago, Orange seat said:

Bit baffled that MOTD didn't show his 1on1 with the keeper towards the end of the game on last nights show. 

Same here, was a massive chance . Just goes to show what distorted views you get , when we rely on a poor editor 

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

You can write anything with stats. Leon Brittan must have a better pass accuracy than Xavi and Iniesta.

Slimani is far from £30mill though that isn't his fault. He should have scored yesterday, full stop. Nobody can defend that.

His effort yesterday was poor. There were times when he didn't even jump for the ball. His first touch is bad, also, and thanks to that he gifted West Ham a chance.

I'm hoping he can be  "20 goal" striker. I have far more faith in him than I do Musa. Slimani has a bit to work on but he's obviously powerful in the air.

11 hours ago, Redouane said:

I feel like Shakespeare messed up tactically by playing him when such high attacking pressure was happening from the west ham side. Hes not a pacey player so he wouldn't serve much use on the counter. 

But it would have worked if he could actually score with his feet 

25 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Good job he managed 5 goals in his first 6 games then as he was the only one capable of scoring. 

Also he didn't score 1 goal between September & April he scored 3. Before slagging the bloke off maybe you should check first.

He also scored twice before February last season again check facts. He also stepped up when needed in the business of the season. Vital goals against Norwich, West Ham & Swansea.

I was talking about league goals but given that the Slimani stats I'm referring to are all competitions that's a fair enough criticism of my post (I don't have the league only information to hand but expect it's comparable).

Regardless, the statistics bear out that for a huge chunk of his time with us he's been hugely ineffective.

And we all know he stepped up last season when it mattered as well as the start of last season, it's the reason why he's looked at incredibly fondly by people despite the fact that he's had 2 extremely prolonged goal droughts in his time here (not counting this season as it's not fair given the arguably unreasonably limited game time he's had).

I'm not slagging him off at all, I was stating facts, albeit ones which you have taken what seems to be quite an issue with in a good example of what Col what talking about. There's seemingly so little room for nuance in an assessment of a player (I.e they just either be world beaters or shit) that people get themselves in a wild fluster every time somebody they like gets talked about in a light which isn't entirely positive. It's exactly the same for people defending Slimani (and probably something I've done my fair share of).

9 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

You can write anything with stats. Leon Brittan must have a better pass accuracy than Xavi and Iniesta.

Irrelevant that - Leon Britton had better pass accuracy because he attempted less risky passes: a player who only moves the ball 5 yards at a time will have a good pass accuracy, but comparing them to playmakers is false equivalence.

Slimani has had less shots than Kane (and since it was cols original comparison - lukaku has a conversion rate of 16% in his Everton career) but converts them more frequently - that either says he is a better finisher than the two, he gets into better positions so has a higher quality of chance or he attempts fewer risky shots. None of which is a bad thing-  but ultimately to say we've not seen hint of a 30m striker shows you to be myopic. We've seen a good conversion record from what has mostly been scraps.

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

No offence, but I find it difficult to take your posts seriously anymore. We've had weeks of you effectively saying that it was the players' fault and not Ranieri's that we were where we were, and vehemently arguing with anyone who suggested that it was probably a bit of both but that the players seemed to be 'lost' in terms of how they were playing, for months. The difference now that Claudio has left has been dramatic to say the least. 

And now you are bringing up stats to defend Slimani when it's clear to anyone who's looking, that he either doesn't look to be bothered OR his confidence is utterly shot to pieces. It's all ifs and buts, I see. For our 'star striker', our club record signing, I'd suggest that even you can see he's been highly disappointing so far? Though you probably won't see that. Which is the point I made earlier. Certain players seem to just get 'time' on this forum.

Archived