Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Slimani

6 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

I will give him time and I hope he gets his touch back, but it is annoying watching him miss chances that even I would bag from 

Of course you wouldn't bag them. It is easier talking, in the pitch is more complicated. For 30m he should finish them no doubt but don't ne ridiculous of course you wouldn't finish them, the one that you would might finish is the one agaisnt Derby.

2 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

Of course you wouldn't bag them. It is easier talking, in the pitch is more complicated. For 30m he should finish them no doubt but don't ne ridiculous of course you wouldn't finish them, the one that you would might finish is the one agaisnt Derby.

the price tag doesn't help, and with the injuries he seems to be lacking confidence which isn't good. I hope he comes good I really do. 

Another player slated due to price tag, he came on yesterday and had to rely on panic ball played aimlessly up field, and could of done better with the one on one.

We can argue he cost to much, but that's the clubs fault not his, and for me I rate him, and he will score goals, no matter what league he was in, he was the seventh highest scorer in Europe last season

1 hour ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

the price tag doesn't help, and with the injuries he seems to be lacking confidence which isn't good. I hope he comes good I really do. 

As I said he needs to go elsewhere to prove his worth. Here he won't do nothing more I think, because he isn't going to be used on a regular basis and that completely destroys a player confidence. And even more when he played all league games for Sporting last year and scored so many goals. Adding to that the team doesn't play to his strengths.

Guest CityFan 06

I'd keep him next season. I think we'll start to see the best of him then because he'd of had a season's experience of top flight football, as well as hopefully a full summer to recover and get fully match fit.

I think part of it is the lack of aerial balls pinpointed to him, because that's where he's going to get goals. I'm not denying he should be able to score, hold it up and play on the floor, which he is capable of, but that's not his main game I don't think. 

Fuchs's cross vs Burnley (H) and Albrighton's cross vs West Ham (H) this season have both superb balls into the box in which he has scored from - that's where he's got pedigree. He will thrive from balls into the box like that and that's where he is a different option to Okazaki.

1 hour ago, CityFan 06 said:

I'd keep him next season. I think we'll start to see the best of him then because he'd of had a season's experience of top flight football, as well as hopefully a full summer to recover and get fully match fit.

I think part of it is the lack of aerial balls pinpointed to him, because that's where he's going to get goals. I'm not denying he should be able to score, hold it up and play on the floor, which he is capable of, but that's not his main game I don't think. 

Fuchs's cross vs Burnley (H) and Albrighton's cross vs West Ham (H) this season have both superb balls into the box in which he has scored from - that's where he's got pedigree. He will thrive from balls into the box like that and that's where he is a different option to Okazaki.

I doubt he would want to stay if he doesn't start getting some play time soon. 

1 hour ago, CityFan 06 said:

You should keep him. But for him that isn't the best option, for me the best he can do is leave in the summer, to another PL team or other top flight league. Your style of play doesn't fit him, if he gets a pre-season he might start to play better in your style of play, but for me he should leave and try another team in the PL, because he still has market.

Slimani will not find a berth at another prem team.  If his wages at lcfc reflect his fee he will find it hard to earn such a wage in other teams in other leagues.

What he needs to do is knuckle down and sort his game out.  Look at rondon.... look at deaney.... look at costa ...... why cant he work with coaches and become a great prem centre forward.   It's a fast tough league.... vardy wont have his speed for ever.  We need more options. .... i will support slimani if he works at it.... rather than ask his agent for a move

Guest MattP

I can't believe how bad he is with his feet, his finishing is laughable, he must have had four one on ones in the last few games he has played and he hasn't come close to scoring. 

He's a good option off the bench if we can't break a team down and need to toss balls into the box but apart from that I don't see where he'll ever fit in with our style of play.

Shipping him out might be a problem with his wages.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

I can't believe how bad he is with his feet, his finishing is laughable, he must have had four one on ones in the last few games he has played and he hasn't come close to scoring. 

He's a good option off the bench if we can't break a team down and need to toss balls into the box but apart from that I don't see where he'll ever fit in with our style of play.

He's never going to be Ruud van Nistelrooy with his feet, agree with that. 

But a large part of finishing is confidence, form, match practice, consistency. We've given him very little of that, not always our own fault, but still.

I think he fits in to the way we play, he works exceptionally hard around the pitch, he likes to take the ball deep with his back to goal and distribute to the wide men which is helpful to link up counters and he'll press the defence all day.

But he's another one that's turned up as we've turned shit and has struggled to fit, most significantly either he doesn't seem willing to drop in to Shinji's spot or we don't want him to, meaning getting him to work with Vardy has proved awkward for both.

I hope we stick with him. I think given time to settle and work his way in to a confident, happy squad on for he's got a much better chance of impressing. 

Musa, on the other hand? Can't see it.

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

He's never going to be Ruud van Nistelrooy with his feet, agree with that. 

But a large part of finishing is confidence, form, match practice, consistency. We've given him very little of that, not always our own fault, but still.

I think he fits in to the way we play, he works exceptionally hard around the pitch, he likes to take the ball deep with his back to goal and distribute to the wide men which is helpful to link up counters and he'll press the defence all day.

But he's another one that's turned up as we've turned shit and has struggled to fit, most significantly either he doesn't seem willing to drop in to Shinji's spot or we don't want him to, meaning getting him to work with Vardy has proved awkward for both.

I hope we stick with him. I think given time to settle and work his way in to a confident, happy squad on for he's got a much better chance of impressing. 

Musa, on the other hand? Can't see it.

Finishing is mainly about instinct though, even when Vardy's confidence was rock bottom he got those chances against Man City and knew how to finish, Slimani looks like a rabbit in the headlights when put through on goal.

He does try to press I'll give it that, he's just a bit too slow to do it in the way Shinji and Jamie can do it to put the pressure.

I hope I'm wrong but I just can't see him fitting in as a first team regular.

16 hours ago, Eagle10 said:

You should keep him. But for him that isn't the best option, for me the best he can do is leave in the summer, to another PL team or other top flight league. Your style of play doesn't fit him, if he gets a pre-season he might start to play better in your style of play, but for me he should leave and try another team in the PL, because he still has market.

I'd agree entirely. The sooner he's gone the better. And replaced with someone who fits into our club and our team rather than someone who does his own thing and seems more focused on "self" than "service".

You continually refer to how we should adapt to him, rather than the other way around. But if he moves to another Premiership club he'll face the same need to fit in like everyone else.

He might have been a star in the gentle pastures of Portuguese football - a good many of our non-league players would cope in that sort of environment - but he'll need a sharper focus - and fitness - here whoever he plays for

China would suit him best. He'd get barrow loads of money and be a star there from the start. No need for any perimeter football. Just hover around the box, score goals galore against ordinary defenders and take all the plaudits he can handle.

There's no doubt he's a good player in certain situations and a very ordinary player in others. But what matters is how good he is for us. And so far, from what I've seen, we can do better for less money.

Especially when he's taking time out at AFCON or coming home injured. Can't you see - it does us no good. It creates the kind of disruption I've complained about in other circumstances. And creates a situation where we have to accommodate the player rather than the player being a part of everything we do.

Stick a cross in and I don't think there's a better finisher with his head in the league but he's missed so many sitters with his feet that it can't just be unlucky. I still think he has a role here but at £29 million it's more hope than belief which is scandalous.

I think it's harsh to say it was a sitter vs West Ham... Randolph flew out and closed the space very quickly, he went for a shot when he probs should have tried to round the keeper... Vards did the same thing in the same half.

i like slim but also see what oka is doing right now, don't think slim could do that role even if he wanted to

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Stick a cross in and I don't think there's a better finisher with his head in the league but he's missed so many sitters with his feet that it can't just be unlucky. I still think he has a role here but at £29 million it's more hope than belief which is scandalous.

Your final sentence sums it up completely. It IS more about hope than belief. And that is scandalous. Although I'm sure some on here genuinely believe that as soon as a player, any player, dons a City shirt, he's got to be brilliant.

Even if he isn't.

Reminds me of Benteke. Great at Villa who played to his strengths but was totally useless at Liverpool who didn't. I can't see him developing to fit our game plan and i can't see us changing our style. The best thing that can happen is if China come in and take him off our hands. I think the owners need to call Sven again.

On 15/03/2017 at 12:21, Col city fan said:

I just can't agree mi old mate. Not really. Ndidi cost half what Slim did (not Slims fault), is 20 yrs old, has not had the experience that Slimani has, yet looks to have been playing for us for years. He had no pre season to bed in or anything like that. It's about time we saw what Slim can do.

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you I was away for awhile and had limited internet access.

The first point, He was a bad buy for what we paid for him He's never a 30 mil player.I assume your comparing value for money with NDiddi as they're both different types of players.

NDiddi is looking cheap for what we paid but still has a lot to learn in his position. Slimani came for big money and hasn't had a chance to settle into the side for many reasons but mainly his style doesn't suit our current our style and you have to ask why did we buy him. We're playing direct which suits Vardy where as Slimani would prefer the Ball coming in off the Wings. He doesn't protect the Ball very well either when played up to him an also lacks real pace. A younger Ulloa would be a far better all round player. 

I think to move him on in the Summer would be best but he's not a bad option to keep as a plan B either and I do think he will offer more. It just depends how Shaky views him.

19 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Slimani will not find a berth at another prem team.  If his wages at lcfc reflect his fee he will find it hard to earn such a wage in other teams in other leagues.

What he needs to do is knuckle down and sort his game out.  Look at rondon.... look at deaney.... look at costa ...... why cant he work with coaches and become a great prem centre forward.   It's a fast tough league.... vardy wont have his speed for ever.  We need more options. .... i will support slimani if he works at it.... rather than ask his agent for a move

You mean the same Vardy who only turned pro at what 24? You have to remember he wouldn't have had the tough training of being in an academy and top end training day in day out. Vardy will keep his pace.

I still can't actually believe we have fans slagging Slimani off. He's made what 14 appearances now, 5 goals 6 assists? Majority of them have been sub appearances too not to mention the fact he's been out the majority of the Season and gone to the AFCON. 

Vardy had 5 goals and 10 assists in 34 appearances (2270 minutes) in his first premier league season.

Okazaki had 5 goals and 2 assists in 36 appearances (2069 minutes) in his first premier league season.

Ulloa had 11 goals and 4 assists in 37 appearances (2.406 minutes) in his first premier league season.

Slimani has 5 goals and 3 assists in 16 appearances (972 minutes) in his first premier league season.

That's 194 minutes per goal. That's a better goal scoring rate in the premier league this season than:

Hazard

Firminho

Deeney

Benteke

Vardy

Walcott

Andre Gray

If he played as many minutes as Vardy, at his current rate he'd have 10 goals. That's good enough for 10th best premier league forward. 

I think people have seen the price tag, and wanted more, which is perfectly natural. What I don't agree with is people writing him off already.

The performance of Slimani vs West Ham at home made me believe he's got the right style of play to fit in here, but it's about us playing to his strengths as his weaknesses are hard to smooth over. As we've seen previously, it's hard to play both him and Vardy and retain Vardy's threat to the opposition and it's hard to watch Slimani fluff his lines when the ball is at his feet. He is a hard worker though who will lead the line for us and will always be a threat from crosses. If and when he plays we must utilizie him for what he's good at, otherwise we might as well play Ulloa or Gray up there. Musa can bollocks right now.

Vardy will be Vardy and run himself in to the ground but if we do need to replace him in games then it's time to ditch the inverted wingers and look to pepper crosses in like we did vs West Ham on New Years Eve. He was superb that day.

7 hours ago, MattP said:

Now that's exaggeration as I said time and tima again, he isn't exceptional with his feet, but he isn't bad either. He is reasonable for his size. He can control the Ball, make passes, run with it, etc... That isn't the problem. And yes he can finish one on ones he did so in Sporting various times so he can finish them, but he isn't with confidence and without confidence a player always plays worse than he should.

Archived