Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Slimani

3 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

Now that's exaggeration as I said time and tima again, he isn't exceptional with his feet, but he isn't bad either. He is reasonable for his size. He can control the Ball, make passes, run with it, etc... That isn't the problem. And yes he can finish one on ones he did so in Sporting various times so he can finish them, but he isn't with confidence and without confidence a player always plays worse than he should.

Even when he scored 2 against Burnley he looked dreadful with his feet - didn't have confidence then?

We could literally say anything and you come back and say he's a great striker. He probably is in Portugal but the standard is a lot lot better here.

3 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Even when he scored 2 against Burnley he looked dreadful with his feet - didn't have confidence then?

We could literally say anything and you come back and say he's a great striker. He probably is in Portugal but the standard is a lot lot better here.

How did he look bad with his feet? You want him to get past a whole defense and score? That is stupid, for his size he has reasonable feet, saying he has terrible feet is understanding 0 about football

Just now, Eagle10 said:

Hos did he looks bad with his feet? You want him to get past a whole defense and score? That is stupid, for his size he has reasonable feet, saying he has terribleeding feet is understanding 0 about football

I think when you see some of the horrific misses from inside the penalty box, it's easy for us to get the impression he's uncomfortable on the ball. I love his work rate, he holds the ball up well and can pass it but he seems to lack awareness and composure which might be confidence. I hope he settles here and becomes an important player. He's certainly one of the best finishers from crosses I've seen at Leicester, which intrigues me because when the ball is launched up to him from our defence he rarely wins it against the opposition but stick a cross in for him and he's on to it like a rat up a drainpipe.

If you've just got to page 48 and new to this thread - It's basically people who watch Leicester saying he's been massively disappointing and a waste of £30m, then another saying he's got potential, then Eagle10 claiming he's one of Europe's best strikers (and claiming you know zero about football if you disagree).......repeated for 48 pages. 

20 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

How did he look bad with his feet? You want him to get past a whole defense and score? That is stupid, for his size he has reasonable feet, saying he has terrible feet is understanding 0 about football

When Leicester plays passed to him, it either bounced off, he missed a header, or when he got his head to the ball it slipped off in touch.

I'd love him to get past the whole defence and score, but being able to control a 10 yard pass would be a start.

40 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

Vardy had 5 goals and 10 assists in 34 appearances (2270 minutes) in his first premier league season.

Okazaki had 5 goals and 2 assists in 36 appearances (2069 minutes) in his first premier league season.

Ulloa had 11 goals and 4 assists in 37 appearances (2.406 minutes) in his first premier league season.

Slimani has 5 goals and 3 assists in 16 appearances (972 minutes) in his first premier league season.

That's 194 minutes per goal. That's a better goal scoring rate in the premier league this season than:

Hazard

Firminho

Deeney

Benteke

Vardy

Walcott

Andre Gray

If he played as many minutes as Vardy, at his current rate he'd have 10 goals. That's good enough for 10th best premier league forward. 

I think people have seen the price tag, and wanted more, which is perfectly natural. What I don't agree with is people writing him off already.

If only judging footballers in relation to their value to Leicester City was so simple but it isn't.

We won the Premiership title with a certain approach. Without that approach there's no chance we would win it with the current players.

Shinji is by far the worst of our strikers based on recent statistics. Indeed I wouldn't even categorize him as a striker at all.

But we've not got a striker alternative that does his job and without that job, we can't field a two man midfield because we're not good enough and the result of that is losing matches because our back line - abundantly capable in our most effective system - become embarrassingly exposed and unable to cope.

Ranieri tried to change our approach. It wrecked our team and his career here. Why? Because there was too much to change and it wasn't possible all at once because we didn't have the personnel and we couldn't buy them when the transfer window wasn't open (or enough of them when it was).

So, in my view, we have to forget the idea of changing and keep playing to the strengths we have while they continue to be effective because they have already achieved things that were way beyond the dreams of many fans.        

The alternatives are to change gradually (an option, no question given that we need a plan B in any case) or we need to change dramatically which would be footballing suicide in various ways.

There's other things I'd mention about the stats. A) They don't show how often Slimani's been away at AFCON (and no use to us) nor when he was injured after AFCON (and therefore no use to us).

They don't show what our team loses in terms of midfield assistance when Slimani or Ulloa are involved.

Few of us doubt that both Slimani (and Ulloa) are capable strikers. But both have shortcomings in certain situations. That perhaps wouldn't matter under a different system of play but it seems to matter in the one we use most effectively. So either people like Slimani and Ulloa choose to fit in whatever (like Andy King seems to) or they might as well play somewhere else.

Because no-one should willingly abandon an approach which has provenly served to tunr relatively inexpensive Premiership players into runaway champions, quarter-finalists in the Champions League, the catalyst for a story-book great escape ith a lengthy run of form to compare with anyone in England or Europe and would, surely, have made us contenders for the late stages of the FA Cup if we'd not wilfully surrendered that opportunity by playing a reserve team at Millwall.                         

2 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

If you've just got to page 48 and new to this thread - It's basically people who watch Leicester saying he's been massively disappointing and a waste of £30m, then another saying he's got potential, then Eagle10 claiming he's one of Europe's best strikers (and claiming you know zero about football if you disagree).......repeated for 48 pages. 

Cheers.

16 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Well this thread was actually made to praise him.

First post: "Some of our recent signings have been questionable but I really think Slim was an excellent addition. I think even with his massive price tag he's good value.  Seems like a nightmare to play against. Our best forward by a country mile." :P

If anything it is a perfect journey of fickleness, which I guess you would find in most players' threads on this forum lol 

23 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

When Leicester plays passed to him, it either bounced off, he missed a header, or when he got his head to the ball it slipped off in touch.

I'd love him to get past the whole defence and score, but being able to control a 10 yard pass would be a start.

Nah He isn't one of the best striker in the world. Just was last season, but to be one of the best strikers in the world he needs way more and I don't think he will ever be. He is a pretty good striker, I just argument because I hate to see comments that are so bad about football that I even cry. And your comments are all pretty bad football wise, so that is why I comment, not because I think he is one of best strikers in the world, because he isn't but because he is being slated without any reason, and because some of the comments that appear in this forum are so bad football wise that I feel obligation to comment and give a bit of football knowledge to them, you included.

22 minutes ago, Thracian said:

If only judging footballers in relation to their value to Leicester City was so simple but it isn't.

We won the Premiership title with a certain approach. Without that approach there's no chance we would win it with the current players.

Shinji is by far the worst of our strikers based on recent statistics. Indeed I wouldn't even categorize him as a striker at all.

But we've not got a striker alternative that does his job and without that job, we can't field a two man midfield because we're not good enough and the result of that is losing matches because our back line - abundantly capable in our most effective system - become embarrassingly exposed and unable to cope.

Ranieri tried to change our approach. It wrecked our team and his career here. Why? Because there was too much to change and it wasn't possible all at once because we didn't have the personnel and we couldn't buy them when the transfer window wasn't open (or enough of them when it was).

So, in my view, we have to forget the idea of changing and keep playing to the strengths we have while they continue to be effective because they have already achieved things that were way beyond the dreams of many fans.        

The alternatives are to change gradually (an option, no question given that we need a plan B in any case) or we need to change dramatically which would be footballing suicide in various ways.

There's other things I'd mention about the stats. A) They don't show how often Slimani's been away at AFCON (and no use to us) nor when he was injured after AFCON (and therefore no use to us).

They don't show what our team loses in terms of midfield assistance when Slimani or Ulloa are involved.

Few of us doubt that both Slimani (and Ulloa) are capable strikers. But both have shortcomings in certain situations. That perhaps wouldn't matter under a different system of play but it seems to matter in the one we use most effectively. So either people like Slimani and Ulloa choose to fit in whatever (like Andy King seems to) or they might as well play somewhere else.

Because no-one should willingly abandon an approach which has provenly served to tunr relatively inexpensive Premiership players into runaway champions, quarter-finalists in the Champions League, the catalyst for a story-book great escape ith a lengthy run of form to compare with anyone in England or Europe and would, surely, have made us contenders for the late stages of the FA Cup if we'd not wilfully surrendered that opportunity by playing a reserve team at Millwall.                         

I don't disagree with you on Okazaki's importance, but Ranieri was right when he said there needs to be a plan "B." Vardy cannot play in every minute of every game. Okazaki will give us 60-70 hard minutes, but what about the other 20-30? What if we're down and need a goal, or we can't break down the opposition's defense?

I think Slimani can be that "plan B". During the great escape Vardy did very well making runs off of Ulloa. Slimani will provide us that target up front to win balls, and flick them on into Vardy's path. He's also great with his head when Mahrez and Albrighton put a cross into the box. He's got some good passing skill with his feet, and If he can improve his finishing, I think he'll be a great contribution to the squad. 

The best part is that he has a similar mentality to the the team. Unlike Ulloa, he's willing to run and press. He even has a little Huth-like nastiness to him. He is also one of Mahrez's countrymen (and I assume friends), and would do well to keep Mahrez committed to staying with Leicester in the summer. 

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

hey! don't forget about the algerians now, i don't want my "contribution" to go unnoticedlol

That wouldn't give him a starting spot given that his  "allies" on here seem to expect it. And, while I accept he might have a role to play and is willing to work there's no way he'll close people down as quickly and consistently as Shinji. He's just not quick nor does he have the mobility or stamina.

It also doesn't address things like availability and whether he's likely to be fit enough, often enough for Premiership football because groin strains can be like achilles tendon problems, they don't easily go away.

I'm also not sure any "friendship" with Mahrez would be positive or negative in relation to the team. Such things can work for good or bad in various ways so, no, I wouldn't have that aspect influencing my thinking nor do I believe for an instant that Mahrez would let his career decisions be affected by a friend's influence or opinion.  

Many on here seem to think Mahrez will be leaving anyway but we'll see. Either way we should be considering contingency plans. Overall, irrespective of Mahrez's aims, I hope Slimani does get to prove his worth but I don't harbour expectations.

It's about outlook, attitude and what matters most to him as well as ability. And it's the same for us I suppose. If the right offer came in from the Chinese I'd be inclined to take it and wish him well. But that doesn't mean I don't rate him as a striker. Just that I think we can get better value in terms of our own team's needs. If I'm proved wrong I'd be delighted. 

3 minutes ago, the fox said:

hey! don't forget about the algerians now, i don't want my "contribution" to go unnoticedlol

The Algerian promotional faction is acknowledged as a fact of life on here along with the Iranian promotional faction in Kaebi days and a few other "friends" groups over the years. 

50 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Well this thread was actually made to praise him.

First post: "Some of our recent signings have been questionable but I really think Slim was an excellent addition. I think even with his massive price tag he's good value.  Seems like a nightmare to play against. Our best forward by a country mile." :P

If anything it is a perfect journey of fickleness, which I guess you would find in most players' threads on this forum lol 

Overall  this forum is pretty fair to players.

They're praised for the good and criticised when things go wrong.

Every player has his following or anti-faction.

The Drinky fans who won't recognise his putting a foot wrong when even he says himself how poorly he's played,

I get stick for my rating of King for his quick passing, there are lovers and haters of Huth, Mahrez, Albrighton Ulloa, Simpson and others perhaps less dramatically.

However,  on a match by match basis the "lovers" have the sense to stay subdued if their heroes have an off day and "haters" will still acknowledge a "surprisingly" top quality performance" from their whipping boy.

6 minutes ago, Thracian said:

The Algerian promotional faction is acknowledged as a fact of life on here along with the Iranian promotional faction in Kaebi days and a few other "friends" groups over the years. 

:cry:i'm getting emotional now, thankslol

4 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Overall  this forum is pretty fair to players.

They're praised for the good and criticised when things go wrong.

Every player has his following or anti-faction.

The Drinky fans who won't recognise his putting a foot wrong when even he says himself how poorly he's played,

I get stick for my rating of King for his quick passing, there are lovers and haters of Huth, Mahrez, Albrighton Ulloa, Simpson and others perhaps less dramatically.

However,  on a match by match basis the "lovers" have the sense to stay subdued if their heroes have an off day and "haters" will still acknowledge a "surprisingly" top quality performance" from their whipping boy.

Fair to players? All I've seen is far from that. Slimani and Musa have been so slated and they don't even get play time. Hell even Mahrez and King got slated early this season, so no this forum is far from being fair. But I think it is because of lack of football knowledge from some users(not talking about you, even when we disagree you have a good argumentation and seem to have football knowledge).

26 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

Fair to players? All I've seen is far from that. Slimani and Musa have been so slated and they don't even get play time. Hell even Mahrez and King got slated early this season, so no this forum is far from being fair. But I think it is because of lack of football knowledge from some users(not talking about you, even when we disagree you have a good argumentation and seem to have football knowledge).

All four have deserved to be slated at times, just as they've deserved praise on occasions, though not very often in the case of Musa. If you can't see when they deserve "slating", perhaps you should look again.

Overall performance value to us this season:

Mahrez 6, Slimani 5. King 5 and Musa barely 2. Includes factoring according to the amount they've played in comparison to others.    

For Mahrez it takes account of his woeful showing in some games under Ranieri, for Slimani his absence and therefore uselessness at AFCON and through injury, for King the time played and declining impact for all his general reliability, plus the defeat by Millwall and for Musa well, there's so little of note it's hardly worth the mentioning and I feel quite sad about that. 

PS: Based on 6 being about average. 

17 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

Huh?

Musa has been garbage everytime he's played except against Everton and Barcelona in a friendly. The rest of the time he's looked way out of his depth.

You're not even a Leicester fan, and would imagine you've watched less than 10 of our games this season so questioning fans who go and watch them every week and claiming superior football knowledge is quite frankly hillarious. 

Going to defend Mendy next?

Good player.  Only criticism I'd throw his way is that it's infuriating watching him watch defenders head it away unchallenged when he's stood a yard away. For **** sake you're a big bastard go and win the ****er. 

Like musa (to a much much lesser extreme) he doesn't look that confident to me at the minute. 

Why is the term 'haters' chucked about like confetti? Is it, like, an 'in-term' amongst the kids?

Is it not possible to discuss the various merits/shortfalls of a player without someone making out you 'hate' them? Why on earth would anyone 'hate' Slimani? Some might really rate him, some might think he's shite, some might think somewhere in between. But 'hate'? Just seems the wrong word. Then again, I ain't 'with it' so I wouldn't know, I suppose.

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Why is the term 'haters' chucked about like confetti? Is it, like, an 'in-term' amongst the kids?

Is it not possible to discuss the various merits/shortfalls of a player without someone making out you 'hate' them? Why on earth would anyone 'hate' Slimani? Some might really rate him, some might think he's shite, some might think somewhere in between. But 'hate'? Just seems the wrong word. Then again, I ain't 'with it' so I wouldn't know, I suppose.

It's delivered in a football context and refers to people who rarely, if ever, have a good word to say about a player. Even if the player does something important like score a goal  they either make a begrudging comment with a rider such as "for a change" or they pass the moment over with a flippancy such as "which my mother would have scored". 

"Haters", "disparagers" or "downputters" if you like, can be as vitreous verbally as bullies are physically but their message is pretty much the same and they're not the just angry reactionaries who have a pop one week but might actually like the player generally, they're people who genuinely knock a guy every chance they get particularly if they have a favourite player competing for the same place.

It's not a new phenomena but has been quite pronounced over the years. And it's the same in the ground sometimes. Certain players get the same kind of stick from the same fan or fans time and again.     

Archived