Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Slimani

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

League and champions league combined: 6 goals from 28 shots (conversion rate of 21% - for comparison, over the last three seasons where he's got 20 in each, everyone's golden boy Kane has a conversion rate of 19%), 3 assists. Played 1143 minutes, so a goal every 190 minutes with, let's be fair, poor service for months.

If he were fit for a full season we're talking a 20 goal a season striker. In the modern market 30m is the sort of fee you pay for that. The problem is simply that if, particularly given it's been a reoccurrence of the groin injury each time.

its all good pointing out these statistics, yes he MIGHT score 20 goals, but at what cost? He'd only get 20 goals if we played to his strengths, which means changing our style of play. We'd lose our ability to defend from the front, because Shinji/Vardy's pressing and workrate are far superior to Slimani's. So I think we'd concede more if we had to change our style, to suite Slimani's strengths. He's a plan B, not a plan A tbh.

11 hours ago, Redouane said:

I feel like Shakespeare messed up tactically by playing him when such high attacking pressure was happening from the west ham side. Hes not a pacey player so he wouldn't serve much use on the counter. 

He was wasted up front as the sole striker (in Vardy's role) because he doesn't have that type of acceleration or speed. Should've swapped places with Musa and provided the assists and anchor role in a more central midfield position. Thing is, he didn't look overly bothered helping out in defense, tracking back and filling the gaps.

Whether that was down to Shakespeare's potentially misguided instructions or a lack of understanding, we'll probably never know.

We are not in the least bit set up to get the best out of Slimani.

I reckon he's a starting number 9 in a different side but he's never going to get ahead of Vardy in our side which leaves him as a bit part player as he's not a number 10 either in a high pressing side.

All that combined I'm not sure it's fair to judge him yet he's missed two one on ones in two matches but that doesn't mean he's not going to turn it around - same with Musa - Shakey obviously rates them both or surely Gray would have been one of the first subs off the bench....

I'm not ready for hysteria, bad mouthing and stone throwing yet.... I've seen too many of our side written off lately because of set up tactics and playing style..... people on here never seem to learn. Kasper can't command his box, Albrighton is a Championship player who can't cross a ball, Huth' past it and crap, Okazaki offers nothing, Vardy doesn't try.... blah blah blah blah.

3 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

We are not in the least bit set up to get the best out of Slimani.

I reckon he's a starting number 9 in a different side but he's never going to get ahead of Vardy in our side which leaves him as a bit part player as he's not a number 10 either in a high pressing side.

All that combined I'm not sure it's fair to judge him yet he's missed two one on ones in two matches but that doesn't mean he's not going to turn it around - same with Musa - Shakey obviously rates them both or surely Gray would have been one of the first subs off the bench....

I'm not ready for hysteria, bad mouthing and stone throwing yet.... I've seen too many of our side written off lately because of set up tactics and playing style..... people on here never seem to learn. Kasper can't command his box, Albrighton is a Championship player who can't cross a ball, Huth' past it and crap, Okazaki offers nothing, Vardy doesn't try.... blah blah blah blah.

The question is why?

Why pay 30 million pound for your clubs record signing, then don't set up to play to that player's strengths? 

I mentioned Lukaku earlier, but there are tons more examples (e.g. Costa). These are lone strikers, with a team formation behind them, set up to play exactly to their strengths. We've never done this with Slimani. We've done it arse about face, so to speak. We've signed him, hoping he'll just slot into how we play.

I saw a set of stats a couple of days ago that suggested Pogbas performances have been better than Kantes this season...We all know that isn't true.

i prefer to watch the performances in the flesh and give my opinion.

After weeks and weeks of getting hammered on here I still have the same opinion - Slimani is shite..

20 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

The question is why?

Why pay 30 million pound for your clubs record signing, then don't set up to play to that player's strengths? 

I mentioned Lukaku earlier, but there are tons more examples (e.g. Costa). These are lone strikers, with a team formation behind them, set up to play exactly to their strengths. We've never done this with Slimani. We've done it arse about face, so to speak. We've signed him, hoping he'll just slot into how we play.

Sure so the blame perhaps lies more with the decision to buy him rather than the player?

33 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

No offence, but I find it difficult to take your posts seriously anymore.

And now you understand how the rest of the forum sees you. You're a joke - snap judgements about players and a refusal to admit you were wrong.

We've had weeks of you effectively saying that it was the players' fault and not Ranieri's that we were where we were, and vehemently arguing with anyone who suggested that it was probably a bit of both but that the players seemed to be 'lost' in terms of how they were playing, for months. The difference now that Claudio has left has been dramatic to say the least. 

Well actually I argued with the people who claimed it was all Ranieri - unlike you I'm capable of holding a nuanced view, and that was that while Ranieri has made mistakes, the players attitude on the pitch was letting him down as well.

And now you are bringing up stats to defend Slimani when it's clear to anyone who's looking, that he either doesn't look to be bothered OR his confidence is utterly shot to pieces.

I'm arguing against the idea that we've not seen any hint of a 30m striker, not that his confidence isn't shot. So, either turn down the hyperbole in your posts (like when you supported the idea that amartey was the worst midfielder we've ever had) or for once be a man and admit you're wrong.

33 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

its all good pointing out these statistics, yes he MIGHT score 20 goals, but at what cost? He'd only get 20 goals if we played to his strengths, which means changing our style of play. We'd lose our ability to defend from the front, because Shinji/Vardy's pressing and workrate are far superior to Slimani's. So I think we'd concede more if we had to change our style, to suite Slimani's strengths. He's a plan B, not a plan A tbh.

Well No, we've got reasonable results out of him even playing our way vs Burnley and Crystal palace. The biggest problem is quite simply he seems to be a crock who can't manage a run of more than 5 or 6 games before being injured again - and as a result 30m is a waste. Doesn't matter how good a player is if he's never available; but that doesn't make him shit like helmets like col will claim.

2 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Sure so the blame perhaps lies more with the decision to buy him rather than the player?

Oh indeed Nick. I think it's become very clear by now that the summer signings weren't bought with much thought behind them. Musa and Slim being the best two examples. Probably another good reason why things needed to change at the club. The Ranieri/Rudkin combo was clearly going only one way. Down.

8 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

And now you understand how the rest of the forum sees you. You're a joke - snap judgements about players and a refusal to admit you were wrong.

Well actually I argued with the people who claimed it was all Ranieri - unlike you I'm capable of holding a nuanced view, and that was that while Ranieri has made mistakes, the players attitude on the pitch was letting him down as well.

I'm arguing against the idea that we've not seen any hint of a 30m striker, not that his confidence isn't shot. So, either turn down the hyperbole in your posts (like when you supported the idea that amartey was the worst midfielder we've ever had) or for once be a man and admit you're wrong.

Well No, we've got reasonable results out of him even playing our way vs Burnley and Crystal palace. The biggest problem is quite simply he seems to be a crock who can't manage a run of more than 5 or 6 games before being injured again - and as a result 30m is a waste. Doesn't matter how good a player is if he's never available; but that doesn't make him shit like helmets like col will claim.

Wow. Incredible vitriol. 

Not sure whether it is down to lack of regular game time or not but considering his main strength is supposedly scoring goals. He's missed a fairly comfortable one on one and was nowhere near Chilwell's cross. I feel like an out and out goalscorer would have been attacking that area and getting on the end of it. 

Happy to give him the rest of this season and pre season to be fair as he's showing glimpses of looking decent, you just expect more from the price tag. It does look like we've overspent on a player we don't particularly need though. The price tag isn't his fault of course.

I was under the impression he was a grafter in the mould of Shinji and Vardy but also a much better footballer which doesn't seem to be the case.

6 minutes ago, matty98 said:

He's played what, about 45 minutes of football under Shakespeare (and in the past 3 months)? Give him a chance, he's getting in the positions to score the goals, they're just not going in for him at the minute.

I remember when people said the same about Akinbiyi and Hume :D 

37 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I remember when people said the same about Akinbiyi and Hume :D 

Why would we judge a current player on what has happened with past players? At the end of the day, out of our current strikers he has the best goals to game and best assists to game ratio this season.

2 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Look here, we have to admit we paid 30 mill to much from what I'm seeing, he waste chances that even I would put away... 

So you wouldn't even pay 1m for him? lol behave - he's not going to prove to be worth his fee because of how prone to injury he is but he's hardly worthless. 

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

So you wouldn't even pay 1m for him? lol behave - he's not going to prove to be worth his fee because of how prone to injury he is but he's hardly worthless. 

I wouldn't pay 1m right now that is fact. The guy may be good but I haven't seen it yet, ulloa is much better in my view 

I could understand such Slimani hate if he played 90 minutes week in week out for twelve games in a row and looked awful in all of them (like Vardy earlier this season).

As it is he's barely played, been to AFCON and picked up injuries. I would rather judge him on his winning goal against Porto and his brace against Burnley when he was starting and fully fit than 15 minute cameos when the game is dead. 

1 minute ago, maddog said:

I could understand such Slimani hate if he played 90 minutes week in week out for twelve games in a row and looked awful in all of them (like Vardy earlier this season).

As it is he's barely played, been to AFCON and picked up injuries. I would rather judge him on his winning goal against Porto and his brace against Burnley when he was starting and fully fit than 15 minute cameos when the game is dead. 

I want the guy to be good, but I honestly don't see it at the moment on and off the ball he is lacking... I hope that it is just match fitness and he is actually bloody good. Right now vardy and shinji is the forward line and rightly so. 

7 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

I want the guy to be good, but I honestly don't see it at the moment on and off the ball he is lacking... I hope that it is just match fitness and he is actually bloody good. Right now vardy and shinji is the forward line and rightly so. 

He can definitely be very good and his goals to games ratio is actually quite decent still.

If we put good crosses in for Slimani from Mahrez and Albrighton/Gray he's going to score a lot of headers.

If he bagged a couple of simple headers he then would gain confidence and perhaps look a lot stronger playing the ball with his feet afterwards.

He also bagged the last minute penalty against Middlesbrough. And the winner at home to West Ham which was a massive 3 points.

When I think of similar target men strikers we've had in the past, Howard, De Vries, Deane, etc. Slimani is a cut above.

But he seems to be derided as if he were Mark De Vries. 

Just now, maddog said:

He can definitely be very good and his goals to games ratio is actually quite decent still.

If we put good crosses in for Slimani from Mahrez and Albrighton/Gray he's going to score a lot of headers.

If he bagged a couple of simple headers he then would gain confidence and perhaps look a lot stronger playing the ball with his feet afterwards.

He also bagged the last minute penalty against Middlesbrough. And the winner at home to West Ham which was a massive 3 points.

When I think of similar target men strikers we've had in the past, Howard, De Vries, Deane, etc. Slimani is a cut above.

But he seems to be derided as if he were Mark De Vries. 

I will give him time and I hope he gets his touch back, but it is annoying watching him miss chances that even I would bag from 

Archived