Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Slimani

2 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Huh?

Musa has been garbage everytime he's played except against Everton and Barcelona in a friendly. The rest of the time he's looked way out of his depth.

You're not even a Leicester fan, and would imagine you've watched less than 10 of our games this season so questioning fans who go and watch them every week and claiming superior football knowledge is quite frankly hillarious. 

Going to defend Mendy next?

Nope, I've seen all games. I said Musa as an example, he barely played, he wasn't good when he did but he barely played, so slate a player that doesn't play often is a bit unfair to my eyes. Same for King, and King put some good performances, against City for example.

33 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Provide him with heading-bound crosses and he's destained to convert most of them.

That's it in a nutshell. That's Slimani's strength. But for us to play to his strength's we need to play down the wings and firing in Crosses. That's why he could be our plan B.

At the moment we like to play a more direct style with the Ball played early over the top for Vardy with Okazaki filling in between midfield and the front line. With Albrighton and Mahrez supporting and helping out in midfield when we don't have the Ball.  This system works very well for us and it suits the players we have.

The alternative is to play with two wingers maybe Gray or Albrighton on the left and Mahrez on the right with Slimani in the middle. That would mean leaving out Vardy. (  As playing them together hasn't worked so far). It would also ideally need a very good passer in Midfield which we still don't have who can also get up and down the pitch.

It would also mean losing the extra man support Okazaki provides when we're under pressure. That's pretty much the dilemma we have plan A or plan B

Plan A is what won us the league and although not always pretty and has it's limitations, it's effective and still working for us. That's why we need to continue with it.

As we overhaul the defence and bring in new players new opportunities will present themselves. But that's looking forward.

The question that puzzles most Fans is why we bought Slimani in the first place when he doesn't fit our style, But maybe he was bought as the first piece in the jigsaw.

6 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Even when he scored 2 against Burnley he looked dreadful with his feet - didn't have confidence then?

We could literally say anything and you come back and say he's a great striker. He probably is in Portugal but the standard is a lot lot better here.

That is bollocks....

Slim is either carrying a knock or just not fit because his work rate seems lower than when he was in Portugal.

Personally not sure about his touch but it's not his fault we paid £10m too much and I never really understood how he fits in the way we play as we needed a Quality No 10 and a back up Vardy (don't anyone suggest it's Musa as he is completely hopeless).

Hope Slim proves me wrong but I fear he will end up back in Portugal!

He has the ability to be a decent Premier League striker and score a lot of goals for us. Unfortunately, he joined us right before our 8 month slump, and with a manager who lost the dressing room. Add to that having some injuries, being away with the AFCON and generally being in and out of a team anyway - then it's not that surprising that he has struggled to make an impact. 

We still haven't really played to his strengths yet either. He is most dangerous as the main striker and perhaps the focal point of a front 3, which of course doesn't really suit our direct counter attacking style and I still don't really see a way of Vardy and Slimani playing alongside eachother, but I would be happy to be proved wrong, as to have the threat of Vardy's pace and the aerial ability of Slim in the box, would be brilliant. 

Disappointing to see all the stick he is getting so early into his Leicester career. I guess the price tag isn't helping his cause at all, but people are going to have to get used to these crazy sums of money being splashed around. I dread to think what players will cost this summer! 

2 hours ago, Thracian said:

It's delivered in a football context and refers to people who rarely, if ever, have a good word to say about a player. Even if the player does something important like score a goal  they either make a begrudging comment with a rider such as "for a change" or they pass the moment over with a flippancy such as "which my mother would have scored". 

"Haters", "disparagers" or "downputters" if you like, can be as vitreous verbally as bullies are physically but their message is pretty much the same and they're not the just angry reactionaries who have a pop one week but might actually like the player generally, they're people who genuinely knock a guy every chance they get particularly if they have a favourite player competing for the same place. It's not a new phenomena but has been quite pronounced over the years. And it's the same in the ground sometimes. Certain players get the same kind of stick from the same fan or fans time and again.     

Well put sir.  

As you mention, it comes over as constant barrage from  continual posters , are begrudging the Individual  players Selection....plus picking up on single players/managers odd mistakes at each opportunity.

In all performances On and off the field, there are many mitigating circumstances, that said after a fair run in the side, any team  sportsman should be prepared for criticism, as well as any taking plaudits. The players and managers know this...Fans know this.

But over one incomplete season, fans who go OTT  every week, on single players/manager, not

being good enough or never will be, there is a characteristic and ethos of other fans, who believe, that if it in their eyes goes well over the top, they will  also reply accordingly.

Its this negative Consistet grinding, that leaves a bad taste, especially while riding highs or turns around in form.  

58 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

Slim is either carrying a knock or just not fit because his work rate seems lower than when he was in Portugal.

Personally not sure about his touch but it's not his fault we paid £10m too much and I never really understood how he fits in the way we play as we needed a Quality No 10 and a back up Vardy (don't anyone suggest it's Musa as he is completely hopeless).

Hope Slim proves me wrong but I fear he will end up back in Portugal!

I don't think he's been fully fit either. He was out injured after his return from AFCON but I also suspect he had niggles beforehand. It would certainly explain some of his indifferent performances and his lack of the game time for someone of his value.   

22 hours ago, MattP said:

Finishing is mainly about instinct though, even when Vardy's confidence was rock bottom he got those chances against Man City and knew how to finish, Slimani looks like a rabbit in the headlights when put through on goal.

He does try to press I'll give it that, he's just a bit too slow to do it in the way Shinji and Jamie can do it to put the pressure.

I hope I'm wrong but I just can't see him fitting in as a first team regular.

But for those games there's also games like Burnley away where Vardy got the ball in good positions, took too many touches and bundled it into the keepers arms at best. Vardy is a prime example of what confidence does for a striker - and with slimani having a bitty season due to injury and AFCON, he's never been able to put together a run to build confidence.

16 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Huh?

Musa has been garbage everytime he's played except against Everton and Barcelona in a friendly. The rest of the time he's looked way out of his depth.

Palace at home, Spurs away? Both games he was ranked up about 4th best player by this forum. 

Musa has been infuriating, but he's had a few good games - when he's been allowed a run of starts. Coming off the bench in a broken team makes it very difficult to impress. Even Saturday he was on a hiding to nothing coming on when the team were dead on their feet and just holding on.

13 hours ago, Eagle10 said:

Yup, he literally showed bad feet there... That is the Slimani that played for Sporting last season.

Im not going off some positively edited highlights video - let's see how many goals Slimani gets between now and the end of season. 

His attitude has stunk since he's got here, the players don't like him, he cost 3 times the price he should have, he's scored once with his feet and missed a hatful of chances that a 30m player should have scored but I bow to your superior knowledge of the English game Eagle10.

Slimani needs to knuckle down and work on his game.

I recall an interview with vardy in a match programme saying that when he arrived from fleetwood it took him a year to get to grips with the whooping defenders in the championship ... yet he did the gym work and found the strength and methods to be sucessful.

Similarly.. slimani has a choice  . . Start working to modify his game  or Run off to another club in some other league.. though i dont think he'll match the prem wages (and in retirement he can relect on passing up the oppotunity )

Maybe to be sucesful he needs to quit intl foot ball.... so he can put 100% into being a sucess in the prem.

I hope he knuckles down and i will sypprt him if he does so 

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

Im not going off some positively edited highlights video - let's see how many goals Slimani gets between now and the end of season. 

His attitude has stunk since he's got here, the players don't like him, he cost 3 times the price he should have, he's scored once with his feet and missed a hatful of chances that a 30m player should have scored but I bow to your superior knowledge of the English game Eagle10.

How do you know They don't like him? They told you? Are you inside the lockeroom? And thanks for bowing to my knowledge it is indeed far superior to yours.

I think a good way to evaluate Slimani is to look at how his stats compare to other high profile strikers that were brought into the Premier League this year:

Zlatan Ibrahimovic. 41 games, 26 goals.

Lucas Perez (Arsenal). 21 games, 7 goals.

Nolito (Man City). 28 Games, 6 Goals

Islam Slimani (Leicester). 16 games, 6 goals

Fernando Llorente (Swansea). 26 games, 11 goals.

Michi Batshuyai (Chelsea). 22 games, 5 goals.

Vincent Jansenn (Spurs). 25 games, 5 goals.

Christian Benteke (Crystal Palace). 30 games, 11 goals.

Manolo Gabbiadini (Southampton). 4 games, 6 goals.

Simone Zaza (West Ham). 11 games, 0 goals.

Andre Ayew (West Ham). 17 games, 4 goals

Saido Berahinho (West Brom / Stoke). 11 games, 0 goals.

Stefano Okaka (Watford). 12 games, 3 goals.

So if you compare all of those together, Slimani comes out as better than average, with Zlatan the clear stand out. Gabbiadini has made a fantastic start at Southampton, but has only played a few games. Llorente, Lucas and Benteke have also been reasonable to good.

My point here is that it's incredibly difficult to settle into the league right away and be a top PL striker. Everyone is after one!

54 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

How do you know They don't like him? They told you? Are you inside the lockeroom? And thanks for bowing to my knowledge it is indeed far superior to yours.

Yes - I know plenty of people around the club thanks. He hates it here and they hate him. It'll be good when he's off in the summer. 

17 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I think a good way to evaluate Slimani is to look at how his stats compare to other high profile strikers that were brought into the Premier League this year:

Zlatan Ibrahimovic. 41 games, 26 goals.

Lucas Perez (Arsenal). 21 games, 7 goals.

Nolito (Man City). 28 Games, 6 Goals

Islam Slimani (Leicester). 16 games, 6 goals

Fernando Llorente (Swansea). 26 games, 11 goals.

Michi Batshuyai (Chelsea). 22 games, 5 goals.

Vincent Jansenn (Spurs). 25 games, 5 goals.

Christian Benteke (Crystal Palace). 30 games, 11 goals.

Manolo Gabbiadini (Southampton). 4 games, 6 goals.

Simone Zaza (West Ham). 11 games, 0 goals.

Andre Ayew (West Ham). 17 games, 4 goals

Saido Berahinho (West Brom / Stoke). 11 games, 0 goals.

Stefano Okaka (Watford). 12 games, 3 goals.

So if you compare all of those together, Slimani comes out as better than average, with Zlatan the clear stand out. Gabbiadini has made a fantastic start at Southampton, but has only played a few games. Llorente, Lucas and Benteke have also been reasonable to good.

My point here is that it's incredibly difficult to settle into the league right away and be a top PL striker. Everyone is after one!

His stats are fine, it's his performances and effect on the team that aren't. 

20 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Yes - I know plenty of people around the club thanks. He hates it here and they hate him. It'll be good when he's off in the summer. 

His stats are fine, it's his performances and effect on the team that aren't. 

With one thing I agree with you, he in fact needs to get out of Leicester. I think that is the only way to relaunch his career after a failed season. It is a bit early to say it was a failed season, but if it continues like this it will be one hell of a failed season for him.

3 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

And one more thing, you were proved wrong by that statement saying that even against Burnley he showed bad feet and you say you aren't going off some edited video? Dude you were proved wrong just admit it and get on with life. Better days will come and you will win an argument.

19 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Why is the term 'haters' chucked about like confetti? Is it, like, an 'in-term' amongst the kids?

Is it not possible to discuss the various merits/shortfalls of a player without someone making out you 'hate' them? Why on earth would anyone 'hate' Slimani? Some might really rate him, some might think he's shite, some might think somewhere in between. But 'hate'? Just seems the wrong word. Then again, I ain't 'with it' so I wouldn't know, I suppose.

1. a person who greatly dislikes a specified person or thing.
    "a man hater"
    • informal
      a negative or critical person.
      "she found it difficult to cope with the haters"

Archived