Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Derby Away Post Match Thread 2 - 2

You say that but Drinky, N'Didi and Mendy were often swamped in midfield by Southampton. We created next-to-nothing as a team. Just the odd individual break by Gray in the first half-hour.

I just hope their improvement comes quickly.

And that our team gets properly balanced.

There were pleasing signs tonight but not enough to suggest our problems will be solved anytime soon.   

2 minutes ago, Thracian said:

You say that but Drinky, N'Didi and Mendy were often swamped in midfield by Southampton. We created next-to-nothing as a team. Just the odd individual break by Gray in the first half-hour.

There were pleasing signs tonight but not enough to suggest our problems will be solved anytime soon.   

Pleasing signs yes, but let's be honest we were against a very average Derby side. Wasn't impressed by them and their golden boys (Hughes Ince) at all. Having said that, Hughes was better than Kingy today and gave Drinkwater the run around in stages too- might be worth taking a look at him in the near future.

13 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

Really?!?

Worse than Jeff first 45 v Porto away ?

100%. he was awful. no idea what he was doing. if it was sunday league he'd be doing laps of the pitch for clearly turning up still drunk from the night before. what the hell we're doing playing him left mid when grays on the bench is beyond me. 

4 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Ndidi-Drinkwater-Ramirez, maybe?!

Just now, TJB-fox said:

Pleasing signs yes, but let's be honest we were against a very average Derby side. Wasn't impressed by them and their golden boys (Hughes Ince) at all

They seemed okay in the first half but ran out of steam on the hour. They pressed well, got forward in numbers and used the width well.

Second half, when we passed the ball and gave them more attackers to cope with they suffered big time but, for all that they didn't have many chances, they sure looked likely to make them count. 

Hughes for me was excellent until his injury.

9 minutes ago, Thracian said:

They seemed okay in the first half but ran out of steam on the hour. They pressed well, got forward in numbers and used the width well.

Second half, when we passed the ball and gave them more attackers to cope with they suffered big time but, for all that they didn't have many chances, they sure looked likely to make them count. 

Just shows how having quality attackers and playing to their strengths, can actually act as the best form of defence. I know Derby were trying to defend a lead, but just by having Gray and Mahrez on, the ball wasn't going forward and instantly coming back. Both were comfortable and able to hold onto it and create things and cause Derby many problems. 

This is why I don't like it when Claudio sets the team up to try an nulify the opposition's attack. He should be focusing on our own strengths in attack and causing them problems. This is especially important at the moment because our back 4 look so vulnerable, and it may be a case of simply trying to out score teams rather than keep playing defensive and trying to nick 1-0's 

Hope this is another lesson learned by Claudio, one he should have learnt when he tried to stop Chelsea playing, rather than trying to cause them problems with our own attacking formation. 

I would much prefer we lose like we did to Arsenal last season, and really play to our strengths and our way, rather than changing our style or approach to try and stop someone else playing. 

14 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Just shows how having quality attackers and playing to their strengths, can actually act as the best form of defence. I know Derby were trying to defend a lead, but just by having Gray and Mahrez on, the ball wasn't going forward and instantly coming back. Both were comfortable and able to hold onto it and create things and cause Derby many problems. 

This is why I don't like it when Claudio sets the team up to try an nulify the opposition's attack. He should be focusing on our own strengths in attack and causing them problems. This is especially important at the moment because our back 4 look so vulnerable, and it may be a case of simply trying to out score teams rather than keep playing defensive and trying to nick 1-0's 

Hope this is another lesson learned by Claudio, one he should have learnt when he tried to stop Chelsea playing, rather than trying to cause them problems with our own attacking formation. 

I would much prefer we lose like we did to Arsenal last season, and really play to our strengths and our way, rather than changing our style or approach to try and stop someone else playing. 

Spot on. The salvation might come from this if we aren't able to sign a decent CB.

Just now, Struwwelpeter60 said:

With Slimani and Leo not available, CR didn't have too

many options up front, because crosses into the box

didn't make too much sense. No target.

Not his fault.

Why not start with Gray and Mahrez though?

Seemed odd to start with Chilwell at LM and Albrighton at RM. 

Albrighton is great at crossing but neither Vardy or Okazaki are any real threat in the box, especially with the crosses Albrighton puts in.

Chilwell also was never going to add as much in attack as Gray could and it seemed a very defensive set up, that focused more on stopping them, than us really going for it. 

I understand your No target man available, but surely that just shows even more why he shouldn't have started with Albrighton and Chilwell. We needed more creativity and flair from our wide players. 

35 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Edited my post earlier think you must've seen the original- read the second bit about Hughes. 

42 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

100%. he was awful. no idea what he was doing. if it was sunday league he'd be doing laps of the pitch for clearly turning up still drunk from the night before. what the hell we're doing playing him left mid when grays on the bench is beyond me. 

Ah well mate .If you thought Chilwell tonight was worse than Jess first half v  Porto away, so be it

4 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I understand your No target man available, but surely that just shows even more why he shouldn't have started with Albrighton and Chilwell. We needed more creativity and flair from our wide players. 

A few days ago, you could read in the Merc, that the owner had made it clear

to CR, that avoiding relegation is the top priority in this season.

I think, that explains our starting line-up tonight.

Burnley, next tuesday, is much more important than the FA-Cup.  

13 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

Ah well mate .If you thought Chilwell tonight was worse than Jess first half v  Porto away, so be it

There is a big difference.

Schlupp's performance at Porto was a statement:

I am fed up with LCFC and therefore I don't care

anymore.

Chilwell tonight was giving his best.

It was not good enough. O.K.

But, at least; he tried. 

25 minutes ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

A few days ago, you could read in the Merc, that the owner had made it clear

to CR, that avoiding relegation is the top priority in this season.

I think, that explains our starting line-up tonight.

Burnley, next tuesday, is much more important than the FA-Cup.  

Possibly true. Although if this was Claudio's thinking, then I disagree with it. We need the players to get some confidence back, and losing to a Championship team would not have helped. Sometimes a cup run can do wonders for confidence and get the team firing again. Another loss, is another confidence blow, especially against a team in the league below and a local rival. 

I think this was a perfect opportunity to restore some belief but I think we set up too defensively and now we have an extra game to play too. Would have been better to go attacking and set up how we would play a Premier League side or at least hope to, as I'm concerned Claudio may use this system again with Chilwell at LM and Albrighton at RM, to try and stifle oppositions. 

It's the wrong tactic in my view, as the back 4 are shaky, no matter what formation or players we play, and it offers us very little in attack and so the ball keeps coming back at us. 

15 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

The main reason we won that? Hughes going off injured. He made Drinkwater look like Stephen Hughes 

He did look class tonight. So good on the ball and just seems to glide past players. So injury prone though. Otherwise he would be playing in the Premier League already. 

If Derby don't go up this season, then can see someone coming in for him. Maybe a promoted team like Brighton or something. He deserves a shot in the Prem and watching Derby tonight, don't think they will get there anytime soon! 

4 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

Completely agree.

Archived