Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Derby Away Post Match Thread 2 - 2

39 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

What I find galling is their apparent lack of confidence on the ball. Yesterday I was frustrated by Huth's constant passing back to Schmeichel. Wes is more confident but neither are performing to a standard necessary in the Premier. I have been reluctant to point the finger at the pairing - they did an excellent job last season... but under the protection of Kanté. Since his departure they've clearly discovered the reality of life without his involvement and their confidence has been affected. I guess we've been hoping that a Mendy or N'Didi could patch up the problem. Perhaps that was just being naive, sentimental or transfixed by the situation. Maybe no one gave ample forethought to a radical solution - like, forget about forwards and offer 'silly' money for two proven central defenders who would be confident in front of Schmeichel. Hindsight, I know, but we were desperate for Kanté not to leave (most City fans, anyway).

As to the rest of the game - Gray and Mahrez galvanised the team into dominating the second half. Drinky and Albrighton got stuck into the game as well. I wasn't fretting even by the 80th minute - an equalizer seemed on-the-cards throughout the post-substitution period.

Yes, it's glaring. Morgan and Huth's big pluses are dealing with high crosses and getting a block in - Morgan perhaps more so with the latter. No-one doubts their strength and commitment.

It's on the ground they've vulnerable with people, or the ball, running  by them. Last season they benefitted from one of the best in the world dealing with all ground-based "incoming" - be it the ball or runners - in Kante.

This season they've no such luck and the creaks that always existed in a twisting/turning situation seem at least a year more rustic and there's not a nurse in sight.

I've no firm opinions on Mendy, Amarthey or N'Didi. All three are still trying to settle and fit into the team's cogs. But, right now, none of them seem particularly adept at tracking runners, none seem to have the silkiest close control and I've not seen any cultured, creative abilities that would stand out even in lower-grade football. 

It's early days but I don't think there's a Kante if you mixed all their talent together. Something else of value i hope but certainly not a Kante.            

And so we have it - a midfield in transition, a back four under increased scrutiny, nothing on the right that resembles a wing back, misfiring, empty-chambered or overlooked centre-forwards and a team looking for points that every other struggling outfit will fiercely fight us for.

Three or four signings could make a difference but even they'll have to settle and the team will have to blend. I still have faith but it's a serious challenge we're facing.

As you make mention, a lot may depend on Mahrez and Gray because they do have the skills to prise any defence apart when they're in the mood - and mood, surely, is down to the management as much as anyone.          

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

DDrinkwater gets away with it again then...!!   3 players imo were to blame for that 2nd goal.

DD + King for their poor covering, and not chasing down, and poor reaction from Morgan.

For the Derby player a great run, but after his first surge, he should of easily been closed down.

This was another proof, how has small groups, and within individuals, we have lost that

'want' from last year. You seen with the back 7 of Derby how they battled for their own areas..

What a laughable post,how anyone can make a list of players who were to blame for the 2nd goal and actually miss the main architect is incredible.It was a truly dreadful goal to give away but all the above were put into that position by under 10's defending not once but twice by Simpson.

I suggest you go back and watch it again.

4 hours ago, dedlock said:

It was a better performance.A draw was the least we deserved. 62% possession,14 shots,6 on target to Derby's 3. Carson Derby MOTM. Derby had a spell after Bent's goal until half time but City were the better side first 20 minutes and dominated 2nd half. What do some posters want?

O.k.,Carson was fortunate with some saves which came straight at him but there was good tip over the bar from Shinji first half,Gray hit the post.JV heading at Carson late on seemed to epitomise his season,Man City excepted.

I went to the game and came home wringing my hands cursing about another shit performance.

However, having re - watched game on TV, the second half was much improved to what we have seen for most of the season - albeit against a Championship side.

There were many chances created - three of which should never had been misssed - golden goal scoring chances which normally 9/10 go in. (The Vardy header, and both Gray and Oka hitting the keeper from 7 yds out when so much easier to score.

Not sure why King played ahead of Ndidi - he provided nothing going forward and arguably should have made a tackle to stop their second.

Not sure why Albrighton is getting stick for yesterday either. He put in some great crosses in dangerous places which nobody seemed to want to get on the end of.

5 minutes ago, bluesbrothers said:

Hope that Liverpool result puts last night into perspective.

Thought it was a good cup tie myself - obviously glad not to be on the losing side, but don't think we played badly. Okazaki was so unlucky not to score.

5 minutes ago, bluesbrothers said:

Hope that Liverpool result puts last night into perspective.

Thought it was a good cup tie myself - obviously glad not to be on the losing side, but don't think we played badly. Okazaki was so unlucky not to score.

Couldnt agree more to draw away against a high flying championship is a good result  some on here should get real

2 hours ago, Ian S said:

There is no getting away from the fact we have been pants this season but the reaction on here as always is so over the top.The FA cup history is full of championship teams knocking over premiership teams yet we went to Derby who have an excellent home record recently,under the lights live on TV with them right up for it and we came away with a draw.

Were we great,no,were we crap,no.

We were gifted a goal then controlled the first twenty minutes but unsurpringly when they equalised our present lack of confidence showed and we struggled until half time.Second half we pretty much dominated and had some clear cut chances and had Gray scored his sitter early on we would probably have gone on to win.

As Derby backed off and had 10 men back from the half way line onwards it became difficult but we kept probing and creating chances and half chances.

The equaliser was thoroughly deserved and we could still have won it.

As for it being a crap match, the neutrals seem to say different as the general consensus is that it was a cracking cup tie.

Too many on here have delusions of grandeur thinking we should just roll over such teams,we are a team devoid of confidence,desperately searching for a spark.

Finally,having been 1 of the 5000 city fans at the game and having watched the players body language and attitude closely, what I won't have is anyone questioning last nights desire or commitment,we were up for it and kept going right to the end,players were encouraging each other to keep going and there was no hiding when things went wrong.

Excellent  a perfect summing up

1 minute ago, foxaholic said:

Couldnt agree more to draw away against a high flying championship is a good result  some on here should get real

It's not really about the result - it's about the shocking defensive performance and how they regularly outfought us. The second a prime example - king bottled a 50/50, Wes just shook a leg at it.

King last night reminded me of when he played in championship when James would be injured. Other players had to make up for his shortcomings. Great servant but he just seems to have stalled. I don't think it helps that we haven't played him in his most natural position since Sven left. 

1 hour ago, foxaholic said:

Wouldn't say 9th in the championship is exactly "high flying"  it sounds like your a bit easily pleased, tbf I expect a bit more against a team like Derby, but the problem was not the result, it was our performance, the only two positive players last night were the two subs 

6 hours ago, Ian S said:

What a laughable post,how anyone can make a list of players who were to blame for the 2nd goal and actually miss the main architect is incredible.It was a truly dreadful goal to give away but all the above were put into that position by under 10's defending not once but twice by Simpson.

I suggest you go back and watch it again.

I did ....I'll stick...:P

You twist if you like..

8 hours ago, Ian S said:

What is a non argument?,an awful lot of people seem to agree that there is a big overreaction and I was pointing that out.I suggest you read my follow up message particularly the first sentence.And where have I said in either post we will survive,although I believe we will. And where did I say 'it will be fine'.We have a lot of hard work to do but I did see enough signs last night that at least the  spirit is returning.

Unfortunately our season has been much like your posts,unpredictable and totally inconsistent!!

Stop.....avoiding.....the.....question.....and.....answer......it.......

What do you see in this side and the performances this season to make you think we'll stay in the division?

Rather than jumping on others for their 'over-reaction' try to give an opinion yourself. It would be so refreshing to actually hear it, rather than see you glibly pick up on other's.

13 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

With reflection, i think we did quite well. We're still in the cup with the home advantage, we didn't play to our potential but the signs were there that we can play some decent football, and according to their manager they played well and were up the the game, Carson isn't going to be that lucky every game!. If wolves beat liverpool, our result will look very good.

And Liverpool lost,??????

Watched it on iplayer today.

Whilst not a great performance I thought there were some positives. Before the game and following on from Southampton I thought Derby were favourites, with them challenging for a playoff place and unbeaten at home and us playing the way we are away. But I thought the longer the game wet on the more we bossed it.

I thought Albrighton (on his best side) and Shinji had a good game and shows how much we rely on Shinj to link the midfield and attack (I just wish he could keep on his feet more) Albrighton looked our sharpest player on the pitch and most confident I's be pleased when Slim is ready again because I think Vardy needs some time out. Drinkwater was a lot happier playing in the centre but playing with King means the midfield doesn't seem to have the same balance as if he was playing with someone like Ndidi.

Now the usual foxes talk hysteria and drama Queens have died down here's my takee on the game                                              negatives   

Morgan huth and Simpson on the ball - constant hoofing or back passes to kasper for the inevitable hoof

Morgan huth constant panicking and lack of  confidence 

Vardys lack of movement or harrying 

After derby's 1st and 2nd goal the way we went back into our shells 

Drinkwater and King being owned by hughes

Poor finishing 

Did we play well 2nd half or was it derbys lack of ability 

Vardys finishing and lack of confidenxe (don't just mean the header the shot in the first half was unconvincing, irrespective of the deflection 

Positives 

Morgan s goal hopefully some confidence comes back 

Ranieris insistence about playing on the ground 

Mahrez and grays performance 

Players celebratjon of equaliser suggests they still care 

The 10 mins after our first goal we were passing it round well -  drinkwater and Albrighton linking well on the right and okazaki and Chilwell On the left 

Mahrez and drinkwater combinations on the left 

Drinkwater making late runs into thd box 2nd half hence Mahrezs throughballs looking good. If he or no one else makes those runs those passes end up with the opposition or Mahrez doesny pass and ultimately gives the ball away 

Drinkwater was pinging passes around (not always accurately) but I blame that on the lack of movement at times 

Thought okazaki linked play well at times 

Albrighton looked decent but had no real targets to aim for 

Archived