Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FireFox

Derby (home) FA Cup Replay Pre-Match Thread

I'd like to see us really go for it from the off with 4 up top and 3 in the middle and 3 at the back.

With Gray Musa Slimami and Mahrez

Mendy Ndidi Albrighton

Chilwell Huth or Benny and Armartey

This would cause Derby to defend and relive pressure on our defence.

15 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Schmeichel

Albrighton  Amartey           Huth    Chilwell

Mahrez      Mendy               Ndidi     Gray

Kapustka

Vardy

Could you imagine if Kaputska started?? :o

Foxestalk would crash. lol

19 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Schmeichel

Albrighton  Amartey           Huth    Chilwell

Mahrez      Mendy               Ndidi     Gray

Kapustka

Vardy

If Kapi, Mahrez and Gray play I think Kapi would play left mid.

Really not a fan of Albrighton at RB.  Can't defend well enough except as a winger helping out his full back. Jeff Schlupp anyone?  Is this more an anyone but Simpson?

Agree with the rest though - prefer Huth to Morgan to pair with Big Dan

5 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Right. Let's go. This one turns out season! Please? No, really, please!

rest Morgan start Benny.

start Slimani if he is fit. 

Start Gray and Mahrez.

drinky mendy n'didi in the middle. 

Would probably agree with this bud

might even start Amartey instead of Huth ? :unsure: just a thought 

unless he is Cup tied with Nigeria  :ph34r:

14 minutes ago, HoustonFox said:

If Kapi, Mahrez and Gray play I think Kapi would play left mid.

Really not a fan of Albrighton at RB.  Can't defend well enough except as a winger helping out his full back. Jeff Schlupp anyone?  Is this more an anyone but Simpson?

Agree with the rest though - prefer Huth to Morgan to pair with Big Dan

My biggest concern with having him at RB, is his lack of heading ability. Simpson for all his faults, does have to deal with a lot in the air and Albrighton wouldn't win or deal with anywhere near as many IMO.

Think I would prefer to try Amartey there again, over Albrighton. He is certainly a better defender and I think could do a bit better than Simpson getting forward. 

It's not ideal though and I can't believe after 2 windows, we still only have Simpson as our only recognised RB. 

18 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

My biggest concern with having him at RB, is his lack of heading ability. Simpson for all his faults, does have to deal with a lot in the air and Albrighton wouldn't win or deal with anywhere near as many IMO.

Think I would prefer to try Amartey there again, over Albrighton. He is certainly a better defender and I think could do a bit better than Simpson getting forward. 

It's not ideal though and I can't believe after 2 windows, we still only have Simpson as our only recognised RB. 

Agree. Albrighton could play right wingback though if we had 3 CBs as during the great escape (IIRC). E.g. Amartey, Benny & Huth. Chilwell left wingback.

They would need to to have worked this out properly in training though and not have it decided 2 hours before the match :blink:.

Just now, WigstonWanderer said:

Agree. Albrighton could play right wingback though if we had 3 CBs as during the great escape (IIRC).

Might have to come to that. Even Claudio can't persist with 4-4-2 for much longer. 

3 CB's might be the only way for us to stop leaking sloppy goals. Against Chelsea though, it was a bit of disaster lol

4 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Might have to come to that. Even Claudio can't persist with 4-4-2 for much longer. 

3 CB's might be the only way for us to stop leaking sloppy goals. Against Chelsea though, it was a bit of disaster lol

Yes, sorry I just added a bit to my previous post. I think for Chelsea it was all put together in a hap hazard way just before kickoff by all accounts. Hopefully it could have been done much better.

Just now, WigstonWanderer said:

Yes, sorry I just added a bit to my previous post. I think for Chelsea it was all put together in a hap hazard Wah just before kickoff by all accounts. Hopefully it could have been done much better.

Agreed. The story about Claudio changing the formation 2 hours before a game could have some truth behind it and maybe happened more than once. 

I thought we would really suit 3 CB's and Albrighton/Chilwell as wingbacks, so might be worth trying again after getting to grips with it on the training field first. 

Slimani would certainly benefit from it with the amount of crosses we could produce

3 minutes ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

May I remind you, that CR was nailed to the wall by many

in this forum, because he changed formations a few times

in the last  weeks?

You may remind me ;)

I think Claudio did the right thing trying a few different formations. I actually think he should have gone a step further and changed the starting 11 too. 

Unfortunately, they didn't really have the desired affect, due potentially to not preparing them enough in training and/or resistance from the players.

...or no matter what Claudio does, the players just aren't responding for whatever reason. 

I think we are at the point now, where formations and tactics are less important than ever, and we just need a player's reaction!

Just hope that with the owners coming out and backing Claudio and Kasper's interview plus the stark reality of relegation looming, we will finally see a real change in the players. 

26 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Even Claudio can't persist with 4-4-2 for much longer. 

Against Chelsea though, it was a bit of disaster lol

Precisely why he'll stick to our four four two, he even said that in the conference earlier "no more changing, just 442 now"

He experimented with 4321 and 4231 and the diamond and was shot to pieces by the same people that demanded he swap from 442 in the first place

442 actually works when the players believe in it, when Mr Ballon D'or doesn't drift across the pitch, when Big Time Charlie breaks the width of the penalty box and leaves the defenders shoulder to go and find the ball, it works. So much of our problems come back to the players wanting to make it happen. Mahrez doesn't have to try and beat the two guys marking him, we don't have to go sideways when there's a forward ball and so on. Belief.

18 minutes ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

Wasn't that the Burnley game?

The 442 (diamond) formation?

Ah, might be getting confused. Still, I don't think they'd worked it out fully and I think he abandoned it pretty quickly, so I don't see him trying it again any time soon. Still think it would be worth working on and might be the best way to get the most out of both Albrighton and Chilwell.

2 minutes ago, iancognito said:

Precisely why he'll stick to our four four two, he even said that in the conference earlier "no more changing, just 442 now"

He experimented with 4321 and 4231 and the diamond and was shot to pieces by the same people that demanded he swap from 442 in the first place

442 actually works when the players believe in it, when Mr Ballon D'or doesn't drift across the pitch, when Big Time Charlie breaks the width of the penalty box and leaves the defenders shoulder to go and find the ball, it works. So much of our problems come back to the players wanting to make it happen. Mahrez doesn't have to try and beat the two guys marking him, we don't have to go sideways when there's a forward ball and so on. Belief.

I've kinda accepted that we will stick with the 4-4-2 now too, although part of me still would like a change. 

I was advocating for a 4-3-3 for ages, as thought it was exactly what we needed to get the best out of our best players and although Claudio did attempt changing from 4-4-2, I never really felt the changes were well prepared or the players were buying into them. 

I think in the end, the changes were simply adding to our problems at the time and so maybe sticking with a 4-4-2, keeping the players happy and our tactics simple as possible, is the only way forward. 

I always liked the idea of 433 but 2 of the front 3 would have to be dynamic enough to drop back and defend when needed and I don't think players like Gray, Musa and Mahrez are the best bet for that. Equally going forward, more defensive wingers like Albrighton aren't flexible enough to be used as a wide attacker. Probably why it's not an often used formation these days.

Just drfited on one of their forums to gauge the mood. Similar to us, bigger fish to fry, not in great form (lost 3 of last 5) and despite cocky gits predicting stupid scorelines, this poll sums their mood in a nutshell

poll.JPG

I wonder if Raneri wants to replace Huth, Morgan or both. If he does want to replace them he has to start subbing either one, or have a back three. I can't see him subbing both of them at once. If he does decide to sub them both at once, he'll need a new captain and whole new defensive dynamic. He's probably better off going back to the wing backs formation, with Huth, Morgan and another, to give the new central defence time to gel. And when/if he does go back to 442, choose the best central defenders out of the new back three.

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

50 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

Cannot see past Amartey starting at CB - unless we plan to play him there against Swansea. 

Agree with Amartey at CB, think that is his best position, and not sure he has the skills for RB, it's very different from CB in terms of how you approach the game, and even the type of defending you need to do.  If Wague is really cup-tied, then we can't play him at RB, it has to be Simpson (is there no one in the U23s that is even half decent?!) as Derby have a lot of threat down the wings in Ince and Russell.

If Slim is back, I might be tempted for...wait for it...prepares for incoming...Albrighton over Gray, just for his crossing ability (although Demarai can do it well, when he looks up).

I'd like to see Vardy and Mahrez start, really think this might be a make or break time for them to actually get some game time that could be positive.

Archived