Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Coventry City... Doomed?

53 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

In 2008 they lost at Charlton but celebrated our relegation to League One.

Today they draw with Charlton and are relegated to League Two.

Unbelivable how quick things turn in football. In that time we won League One, won the Championship and won the PL.

Crazy to think of it that way. 

12 minutes ago, Bilo said:

I can't laugh because it's a case of 'there but for the grace of God go us' so far as I'm concerned.

10 years ago, ourselves and Coventry were at pretty much the same level. Two medium sized clubs playing in stadia with near identical capacities with similar attendances and short to medium term aspirations that were on their arse, basically fighting to stay in the second tier. As it turned out, we ended up with Mandaric as chairman and they ended up with SISU a few months later. That is the sole point of divergence. Yes, we're a bigger club than Coventry in terms of our fanbase, so would probably never see attendances fall to 8,000 as Coventry's have, but swap the owners and you swap the destinies. We struck lucky with Mandaric spending money on the club and appointing Pearson, and even luckier with King Power and almost everything that's happened since. Coventry have been the exact opposite. It could so easily have been Coventry in Europe and us looking towards away trips to Accrington and Barnet next season.

The way things are going with their lease due to expire on the Ricoh and few alternatives does make you wonder about their future. Another Darlington can't be ruled out, and that would be a crying shame.

Superb post.

I do sympathise with some cov fans, they've been through so much hardship over the years and looks to get even worse. However I do seem to recall how much they gloated at our bad times when it was us being relegated or a last minute goal away at Watford in the play offs. I know alot of cov fans and all of them despise Leicester.

41 minutes ago, Bilo said:

I can't laugh because it's a case of 'there but for the grace of God go us' so far as I'm concerned.

10 years ago, ourselves and Coventry were at pretty much the same level. Two medium sized clubs playing in stadia with near identical capacities with similar attendances and short to medium term aspirations that were on their arse, basically fighting to stay in the second tier. As it turned out, we ended up with Mandaric as chairman and they ended up with SISU a few months later. That is the sole point of divergence. Yes, we're a bigger club than Coventry in terms of our fanbase, so would probably never see attendances fall to 8,000 as Coventry's have, but swap the owners and you swap the destinies. We struck lucky with Mandaric spending money on the club and appointing Pearson, and even luckier with King Power and almost everything that's happened since. Coventry have been the exact opposite. It could so easily have been Coventry in Europe and us looking towards away trips to Accrington and Barnet next season.

The way things are going with their lease due to expire on the Ricoh and few alternatives does make you wonder about their future. Another Darlington can't be ruled out, and that would be a crying shame.

lol

11 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

I do sympathise with some cov fans, they've been through so much hardship over the years and looks to get even worse. However I do seem to recall how much they gloated at our bad times when it was us being relegated or a last minute goal away at Watford in the play offs. I know alot of cov fans and all of them despise Leicester.

I know a lot of Cov fans and they've all been full of praise for Leicester funnily enough. Don't know any STHs though, or even any that actively protest. Just a load that have given up on the game and bought Wasps memberships.

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

In 2008 they lost at Charlton but celebrated our relegation to League One.

Today they draw with Charlton and are relegated to League Two.

Unbelivable how quick things turn in football. In that time we won League One, won the Championship and won the PL.

... and quarter finals of the Champions League.

I know a few of you lot are enjoying it, which I agree with, I was in the Charlton away end in 2008 singing about the relegation. However, what is happening at the football club is very sad, something I wouldn't wish on any other supporter.

This could have happened to any club of our size, but it has happened to us. Football needs to wake up, the FA and the Football League must do something before this gets worse. I stood side by side hundreds of Charlton fans today to protest together, another club being torn apart by poor ownership.

The sad thing is, this isn't about the league positions or the lack of success, this is about the identity of the club being ripped up. The club I support now isn't the club I grew up supporting. It is toxic. 

I used to consider Leicester as a main rival alongside Villa, but it is embarrassing to even call it a rivalry now. It is n absolute world apart. I was backing you on Wednesday and I will being doing the same in the second leg:thumbup:.

30 minutes ago, block15ccfc said:

I know a few of you lot are enjoying it, which I agree with, I was in the Charlton away end in 2008 singing about the relegation. However, what is happening at the football club is very sad, something I wouldn't wish on any other supporter.

This could have happened to any club of our size, but it has happened to us. Football needs to wake up, the FA and the Football League must do something before this gets worse. I stood side by side hundreds of Charlton fans today to protest together, another club being torn apart by poor ownership.

The sad thing is, this isn't about the league positions or the lack of success, this is about the identity of the club being ripped up. The club I support now isn't the club I grew up supporting. It is toxic. 

I used to consider Leicester as a main rival alongside Villa, but it is embarrassing to even call it a rivalry now. It is n absolute world apart. I was backing you on Wednesday and I will being doing the same in the second leg:thumbup:.

You'll be rooting for us after gloating and singing about our relegation to L1 and admitting it. :rolleyes:

Best thing you can do is take that video further up and post it on your forum to remind your fans of that day, how things have changed.

No sympathy from me I'm afraid.

27 minutes ago, promised land said:

You'll be rooting for us after gloating and singing about our relegation to L1 and admitting it. :rolleyes:

Best thing you can do is take that video further up and post it on your forum to remind your fans of that day, how things have changed.

No sympathy from me I'm afraid.

Your relegation to League 1 was a little different to what is going on at Coventry!

But, I am not looking for sympathy, just explaining the problems of modern football.

I'm struggling to have any sympathy for Cov tbh. I remember back in the day my Cov 'mates' ramming their '87 cup win down our throats for what seemed like an eternity.

Then last season they were desperate for Spurs to catch us and their green envy and jealousy of our success was plain to see. Football goes in cycles and no doubt sometime in the future our roles will be reversed. But in the meantime please excuse me if I have a smug grin on my face for a few days...

I suppose it's all down to where you live..who you work with etc...the cov lads I work with were wanting us to win it last year but would remark it's still not the FA cup :) I genuinely feel sorry for the supporters and as someone has stated it could've easily been us.

3 hours ago, block15ccfc said:

I do have to sympathise a little bit as you're right, this could have happened anyone, especially us - you'd have to be a fool to deny that a situation similar to Coventry is exactly what we all feared after moving to the Walkers and entering administration, then being bought by Mandaric and relegation to League One, then when the Thais took over. Turns out we were well and truly blessed with the best owners imaginable. 

And you're right - the government, FA and Football League need to do something about it. But I doubt they will sadly, when it's happening to so many clubs like yours, Blackpool, Leyton Orient, Charlton etc but they then allow West Ham to inherit a £700m stadium for nothing and all the costs go on the taxpayer. I'm afraid you'll have to go the Pompey route, gain fan ownership if it's at all possible - it'll be a long hard slog. 

3 hours ago, block15ccfc said:

The club I support now isn't the club I grew up supporting. It is toxic. 

The whole sport we grew up loving has changed completely. 15-20 years ago dropping down a league or two didn't matter so much. Now all the money and commercial interest is focused purely on the Premier League and practically bugger all filters down - making the future bleak for any club getting relegation. This is something the authorities need to address because it's such a shame to so often see empty stadiums in the lower leagues. 

So so you do have a bit of sympathy. 

Still a bit funny though

Look we can laugh at league positions and to me that's fine and dandy but when a club, any club, is being asset stripped like this, we should be appalled. Football fans should unite against this kind of ownership, it could happen to almost any club and it isnt right. That club should have been siezed by the FA and given back to the fans, it may be too late now, I hope not.

I did laugh at their demise for a while. However, as has already been said, all it is now is a stark reminder about how heavily football clubs rely on backing from their ownership in the modern game- this can happen to any club outside of the 'elite' who hand financial control over to the wrong set of c**ts. 

It's not some hilarious tailspin of relegations due to signing bad players and appointing hapless managers (despite Slade playing a significant role). They're being asset stripped and slowly suffocated by corporate suits with no interest in progress or the club and its fans as a whole.

I'd like to think they will just sell up, but can't see it myself- it won't be worth much at all in its current state. They have got much more chance of making some money if they get lucky and Robins has them climbing back up. If that doesn't happen- God knows what the future holds for them.

They laughed at us when we were relegated to league 1, I laughed at them when they were relegated to league 1. This, however, is beyond a joke.

10 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I do have to sympathise a little bit as you're right, this could have happened anyone, especially us - you'd have to be a fool to deny that a situation similar to Coventry is exactly what we all feared after moving to the Walkers and entering administration, then being bought by Mandaric and relegation to League One, then when the Thais took over. Turns out we were well and truly blessed with the best owners imaginable. 

And you're right - the government, FA and Football League need to do something about it. But I doubt they will sadly, when it's happening to so many clubs like yours, Blackpool, Leyton Orient, Charlton etc but they then allow West Ham to inherit a £700m stadium for nothing and all the costs go on the taxpayer. I'm afraid you'll have to go the Pompey route, gain fan ownership if it's at all possible - it'll be a long hard slog. 

The whole sport we grew up loving has changed completely. 15-20 years ago dropping down a league or two didn't matter so much. Now all the money and commercial interest is focused purely on the Premier League and practically bugger all filters down - making the future bleak for any club getting relegation. This is something the authorities need to address because it's such a shame to so often see empty stadiums in the lower leagues. 

So so you do have a bit of sympathy. 

Still a bit funny though

Another good post. 

Yeah, I agree with the sport changing. I am sure, even with the success, you are seeing changes at Leicester which are unwanted.

However, Coventry City are a world away from what they were even a couple of years ago. Apart from the cup final last week, the majority of the city has fallen out of love with the club. We are now stuck with a core of around 9000 for home games and 800 for away games. The stadium is even worse than it was when it opened, Wasps branding has took over and it is just isn't home anymore. There isn't even a club shop or ticket office. To buy a ticket you have to go to the second floor at Coventry Rugby Club into a shared office to see a woman at a desk with a small laptop. It's sad and embarrassing. All of that is without taking into account the main problems the club faces.

Thankfully we did have that day two weeks ago at Wembley, it gave me a little bit of hope. Not much, though.

Archived