Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Hiddink

Claims he turned down an indirect approach, then bizarrely takes credit for appointing Shakespeare!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4372486/Guus-Hiddink-reveals-turned-Leicester-City.html

Former Chelsea and Holland boss Guus Hiddink says he turned down an opportunity to manage Leicester following the dismissal of Claudio Ranieri.

Italian Ranieri was shown the door in February, just nine months after leading them to the Premier League title, with the Foxes perilously close to the relegation zone and seemingly unable to arrest their slide.

He was replaced by assistant Craig Shakespeare, who has since turned around the club's form, winning his first four Premier League games in charge - including Saturday's 2-0 victory over Stoke - to become only the fifth manager to achieve the feat.

However, Hiddink claims the decision to appoint Shakespeare was partly down to his advice, having himself rejected the chance to fill the void left by Ranieri.

The Dutchman told the Sunday Times: 'To be strictly correct, I didn't talk directly with Leicester. But you know how the line goes. 'They think of you...'

'They asked not directly but indirectly, but I said no. If you have decided to sack Ranieri, why don't you go with your No 2 guy?

'Shakespeare knows the club, knows the players. Why don't you go there, you will see what will happen, I said. Happily I was right.

'Liverpool [Shakespeare's first game in charge] didn't know what hit them. Within 20 minutes, 2-0. And five days later Leicester won at Hull. The relegation problem was solved in five days.'

I'm not convinced anyone other than Shaky was offered the job. There might have some theoretical sounding out of potential recruits who were known to be available.

But Shaky was the only choice I could see for the circumstances after Ranieri's sacking and I hope it stays that way so he gets the long-term chance he's earned through the considerable part he's played in our club's remarkable success over a fairly substantial period.   

I like the thought of continuity and of someone who knows our players and what makes them tick as a team.

Yeah because it took a very average Dutch manager who's only major prominence has been in international management to tell our multi billionaire businessmen owners that consistency might be a good idea.

Given that the one thing everyone has said about our owners is that they're constantly around the squad and very well integrated in to the club, it would have been pretty obvious that Shakespeare was the best interim solution.

14 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah because it took a very average Dutch manager who's only major prominence has been in international management to tell our multi billionaire businessmen owners that consistency might be a good idea.

Given that the one thing everyone has said about our owners is that they're constantly around the squad and very well integrated in to the club, it would have been pretty obvious that Shakespeare was the best interim solution.

Na mate! Guus told them, indirectly.

I auditioned for the top spot and was begged to take the job but I decided to pass it on to Shakey because I had offers from Barceloina, Real Madrid, Juventus and Bayern Munich. I rejected all of them as well as I was worried that none of the other teams in the league would stand a chance. I'm pretty happy just sniffing my farts all day though and giving all the crucial advice managers need on the blower.

What I think happened:

Hi Guus we're looking for someone just to steady the ship, a figure head to take the pressure off and bring some experience until the end of the season and give some guidance to our number 2 with the possibility of promoting him to manager at the end of the season.

Guus: Hey guys, you mean Craig Shakespeare? You don't need me the man is class, have confidence in him.

Or something like that.

8 hours ago, Captain... said:

What I think happened:

Hi Guus we're looking for someone just to steady the ship, a figure head to take the pressure off and bring some experience until the end of the season and give some guidance to our number 2 with the possibility of promoting him to manager at the end of the season.

Guus: Hey guys, you mean Craig Shakespeare? You don't need me the man is class, have confidence in him.

Or something like that.

Is that you Guus?

2 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

Not sure whether I was offered the job (indirectly), my phone rang and I couldn't get to it in time.....dialling 1471 revealed it to be a Leicester number......

When was this? Because I received an email from the club that I didn't open.

3 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

When was this? Because I received an email from the club that I didn't open.

Just as I got back from the Pub.....did your email have a stamp on it from the clubs franking machine?

Archived