Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxInTheBirstallBox

Rudkin

3 hours ago, m4DD0gg said:

Its not as black and white as that.

Whilst Pearson was a success he was a PR disaster.

Ranieri was and is a legend but had to go.

Shakespeare was pure naivety.

Puel is a waste of space and highlights our poor structure between playing staff and owners.

Thats before we even mention our disastrous transfer records of the last 2 seasons, only Stokes is worse and look whats happened to them.

No manager's success should be measured on how popular he is with journalists, opposition players or whether he's a bit rude when someone gives him abuse. Mourinho, Clough and Ferguson would all have gone down as complete losers if that were the case.

While I'd be reluctant to compare Pearson's success to theirs (!) he was still popular enough to be on the Premiership Manager-of-the-Year three man shortlist. I always look at it this way: In the summer of 2008 if someone had told me that a manager would arrive, take us up, then - after a few minor ups and downs - take us up again, keep us up and leave us with a side that would win the title a year later, I'd have been able to tolerate him being a bit erratic.

As for the other three you mention, both Shakespeare and Puel fulfilled their initial and most essential purpose, which was survival. The question marks come over their worth as longer-term projects. Ranieri is a more extreme case of staggering initial success followed by stuttering long-term planning.

The big question mark over Rudkin, for me, is whether he's good at working with a manager to forge a project which can sustain itself over years rather than months.

3 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

"Heap of expensive dross" is pushing it. The amount of good, quality players is/was bigger than the ones that turned out to be failures or the ones that didn't have an impact.

We can agree on the ludicrous amount of money spent for a Championship side.

I think Kamara was a quality signing at the time, even if he only played very few games at the end of the 2010-11 season, you could see his talent. Worked hard up front, tracking back a lot.

Bednar? Well, he came with a Premier League reputation and a rather decent goalscoring record for West Brom in the Championship. Just wouldn't work out for him at the Walkers/KP.

For all the criticism aimed at Beckford - anybody remember Nathan Delfouneso? Pearson signing...

As for Kirkland, he was unfortunate with his back injury.

I think you're a way off in stating that the quality players outweighed the ones who didn't have an impact.

You give the example of Delfouneso to counter that of Beckford. One cost us millions, failed to spark us, was shipped out on loan, cost us a bomb in wages and ended up playing out his career at a lower level. The other was a loan who made a smattering of appearances in the weeks and months before we signed Vardy.

St. Ledger wasn't a success for Sven. He couldn't get in the side ahead of Mills, who was made captain, and we had a poor record when he played. Under Pearson he was, as you rightly point out, quickly sidelined and his career fizzled out. 

Peltier and Bamba were both better, in that they featured a lot and went on to have credible careers, but they achieved nothing with Leicester. Yakubu and Naughton did well but in a period when we weren't successful. You might also debate Gelson Fernandes, Cunnigham, Davies, Mee who were loans that could have gone on to play a bigger role under different circumstances. Vassell was neither here nor there.

On the other hand you've got temporary buys like Ricardo, Bruma, Kamara (he really wasn't very good!), Bednar, Johnson, and permanent (plus, in some cases, very expensive) signings like Beckford, Mills, St. Ledger, Danns, Ball, Pantsil who were straight up failures.

I'm fairly sure the good doesn't outweigh the bad there. Five poor loans, six poor and costly permanent signings versus two big successes, one further decent buy, 2-3 inconsequential but useful acquisitions, two very good loans and four more debatable ones.

18 minutes ago, chadlcfc said:

Hated him since I tweeted that picture of him at my hotel and he found out who I was and confronted me when I was eating dinner, accusing me of being a stalker and saying he didn't want to have to get the police involved. 

he did that? pathetic

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chadlcfc said:

Hated him since I tweeted that picture of him at my hotel and he found out who I was and confronted me when I was eating dinner, accusing me of being a stalker and saying he didn't want to have to get the police involved. 

I remember that, he was in the middle of signing Iborra wasn't he lol

I have no idea how truly responsible he is for our failings in recent times in terms of managerial appointments and the transfer market, but I do think a change at the top would make a welcome change. In my opinion the summer transfer dealings after our title win, is a sacking offence in itself, but add those to the managerial situation and other poor decisions, and I'd really like us to appoint a much more experienced DOF with respect and contacts in Europe and beyond. 

The owners are really building something here, with a stadium expansion and a new training ground in the works, and I can't help but feel that they also need to improve on our current management team too. 

A clean sweep is what I feel is needed, meaning a change of DOF, Manager and shifting a lot of the "Old Guard" 

Edited by STUHILL
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

I take your point on the Ranieri selection BUT it was still largely Pearson's team and back room structure that won us that title....and that had pretty much nothing to do with Rudkin.

There were many, many parts to our PL success in 2016 and the Ranieri appointment was not the key one for me

But it was the way Ranieri used that playing squad ie previous 5 goal Vardy to main striker to use his pace and defensive solid no wing backs back 4. Mostly NPS players but superior managers tactics. Rudkin had little to do with that and nor should he you're right. But I believe Ranieri was the key element as we'd never have won it in a hundred years under NP who nevertheless was a massive influence on our club in other ways.

55 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

he did that? pathetic

48 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

What picture?

41 minutes ago, brucey said:

I remember that, he was in the middle of signing Iborra wasn't he lol

He said he was there to celebrate his daughter doing her exams, had his whole family with him. 

F6F5FC8F-B579-4588-A96B-36D409CC5D37.jpeg

2 hours ago, chadlcfc said:

Where are you going this Summer, it would be hilarious if you both ended up at the same resort.

2 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

Actually that is a bit weird taking a picture of him on holiday and sharing it. Harmless enough, but a bit odd

I’ve been a Leicester fan for 17 years, pretty cool to see someone so high up at Leicester no? 

Think he was pissed off that he had been spotted as it was the first day of the transfer window 

6 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Ruskin is one of those irritating pricks you meet in life who have managed to manipulate and engratiate their way up the ladder without actually having any notable skills or success to back it. He's a joke, but for some reason the Thai's can't see it. 

Harsh on the PES Masterleague legend IMO.

9 minutes ago, chadlcfc said:

I’ve been a Leicester fan for 17 years, pretty cool to see someone so high up at Leicester no? 

Think he was pissed off that he had been spotted as it was the first day of the transfer window 

Imagine if he had actually called the police “Someone took a picture of me and is laughing at it online” what a plonker.

2 hours ago, chadlcfc said:

That's because you were potentially ****ing up a signing for Leicester City.

The last thing we needed was the likes of you advertising his whereabouts.

3 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Lol was he signing the swimming pool attendant?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wouldn't be surprised if he has the Foxestalk app, in believing himself that opinions on him will be divided on here, and as a guest member occasionally scrolls through it for reassurance.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

8 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

I take your point on the Ranieri selection BUT it was still largely Pearson's team and back room structure that won us that title....and that had pretty much nothing to do with Rudkin.

There were many, many parts to our PL success in 2016 and the Ranieri appointment was not the key one for me

:crylaugh: :crylaugh: Oh dear, oh dear. :nono: 

• Like 1

Credit to Pearson where its due, promotions and the 'great escape' from what looked like an impossible position. But you remember who put us into that near impossible position right? Also credit due for work carried out on new signings that went on to be an important part of the amazing football miracle, so I'm very grateful for what he did for our club

But to be clear - Ranieri brought home the title, he was manager for the whole season, 38 games, Champions

so credit to Pearson but lets not try to rewrite history

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Wouldn't be surprised if he has the Foxestalk app, in believing himself that opinions on him will be divided on here, and as a guest member occasionally scrolls through it for reassurance.

He said to me that since Ranieri got sacked the police monitor all social media. 

47 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Really? He was with 3 generations of his family in Gran Canaria (which is a similar distance to Sevilla as Leicester is) I can’t imagine it was an undercover mission. Plus the hotel sells out so I imagine it was coincidence that he was there and then a few days later we signed Iborra.