Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GaelicFox

Trouble in Madrid

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

All this "just leave the area, it's common sense" is all well and good to say sat behind a keyboard in Blaby or wherever, but does it not strike people that perhaps the cops *might* just be looking for people doing just that as they're a) an easy target b) walking away from something can easily be trumped up to being a sign of guilt in the cops' eyes?

As has been said before, some incredible naivety being shown on here. Should people exercise common sense abroad? Obviously. Is it always that simple a solution? Course it fvcking isn't.

I agree to some extent, but like I said in an earlier post, that had 4 days in seville, and saw no trouble at all.

I drank in the hotspots if you want to call it them, O'Neill's by the river and O'Neill's near the ground,  and saw no trouble.

Had a great day the day of the match, and the day before, the atmosphere was great, until half 9 the night before, when someone threw a smoke bomb in the road towards the police on the corner, so thought time to go.

I was told the next day, after l left leicester fought leicester, seville ultras turned up and got chased off.

The day of the match had a great day at Oneil 's near the ground, good atmosphere, balls being kicked around, and plenty of drinking, no trouble, but I knew after the game it would kick off, as it was a place the seville fans knew we would be, and the police was there in numbers, so went to a bar local to the hotel.

Spoke to the lads involved around Oneil's and they said the police were ruthless, but they were climbing over cars, and in very high spirits.

There lies the problem of the cultural difference's between us and the Spanish, in England this is seen as banter, and high spirits, but clearly in Spain it's seen differently.

Im not defending their police, as from what I got told they battered everyone after they waded in, including dragging a 16 year old girl around by her hair, and shooting people at point blank range, for being there, but we know the are ruthless thugs, and if things start to get a bit lively, you can get away, as you know they will beat everyone up, so move as the atmosphere changes, but when we are drunk sometimes it's harder to read the way things are going.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Claridge said:

There was a reason,about 100 were being complete cxxnts and loads were standing about watching.it was obvious that the police had,had enough,so most people left about 10.if you stayed and got hit , then I'm sure your thick skull could take it . It will be the same tonight no doubt

Cheers for the personal insult, hopefully the mods don't turn a blind eye :)  

4 hours ago, SydenhamFox said:

Walked into my newsagents this morning and took all the confectionary. Their fault for not having a security guard manning the entrance. Twats.
I mean what's a lad to do?

Good lad. I mugged an old woman earlier. Aint my fault she was old.

People saying those fans congregating and singing songs should expect it are a disgrace.

You do realise the Spanish Police and every other communication from the club has actually told them to congregate in this area?

'Hi lads, could you all meet up in this one location so that when you do start singing songs (football fans singing songs, well **** me we never expected that) we can baton the living **** out of every last one of you without having to walk around too much, ta very much'

Spain was a police state not long ago, the police act like it still is. Portugal was great, everyone congregated by the river, singing songs, booting footballs, the police stood and observed, that is how you police large crowds, you don't wade it without thought.

Scum 

Edited by Lako42
  • Like 1

I suppose it can be argued and every one can give their story but at the end of the day its a different country, different culture and different rules. I think it comes as more of a shock because policing in England is about as fluffy as it gets in the world, with fancy hats and Steve, your local neighbourhood bobby.

English football fans are seen as trouble, like it or not. World cup, Euro's and at club level, English fans cause trouble abroad.

Spanish Police take a zero tolerance approach. Dont expect a selfie and don't expect them to take abuse and bottles being thrown.

Stay away from the many idiots* that have travelled and you will be fine.

* Usually bold pot belly blokes with nothing on but a pair of bright yellow lacoste shorts. English bull dog tattoo and 'L.C.F.C' tattooed awfully will be visible.

** Also the next generation who look about 11 but wear coats with goggles in at 29°.

Edited by adejo92
  • Like 1

Brits abroad.  The culture is different. The need to get drunk seems to be far less once you cross the channel, perhaps it's because the UK has far stricter licensing laws and people go nuts when alcohol is more available dunno.  But its inevitable, police in other countries seem to be pre-programmed to expect hassle from British fans and see it as a challenge to their authority - an authority they are able to impose over their own citizens.  If you take the pi55 out of a copper in Spain, he ain't going to walk away, Your nationality is irrelevant.

Let's hope the few don't become a source of shame... 

35 minutes ago, cecchini said:

Brits abroad.  The culture is different. The need to get drunk seems to be far less once you cross the channel, perhaps it's because the UK has far stricter licensing laws and people go nuts when alcohol is more available dunno.  But its inevitable, police in other countries seem to be pre-programmed to expect hassle from British fans and see it as a challenge to their authority - an authority they are able to impose over their own citizens.  If you take the pi55 out of a copper in Spain, he ain't going to walk away, Your nationality is irrelevant.

Let's hope the few don't become a source of shame... 

I don't agree, away fans congregate in pubs/squares and drink and sing all the time in England. Feel like the policing is just different 

Just now, adejo92 said:

Yeah, they police zero tolerance...the way it should be.

Zero tolerance for what? If stories of police charging innocent fans and beating them up are true (published by BBC) then how can you say that is the way it should be? Police in England do a very good job of allowing football fans to have fun and stopping any violence from coming about

It's just a different culture and you have to respect that.

La Liga doesn't have the massive away followings that the Premier League has, it hasn't had the Hillsborough aftermath to encourage a more softly softly policing approach to football fans.

You're English football supporters carrying a decades old reputation for bringing trouble wherever you go, they don't care if you're from Millwall or Little Old Leicester. Some genius's and their social media video helping themselves to "free" beer on a train didn't do us any favours.

You're in their town and playing by their rules have the good sense to tone it down and be savvy enough to know when to walk away.

I don't have much sympathy, sorry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shaneb said:

Not at all, fans are to blame in football. Having been to many away games I have never encountered any trouble, been arrested or beaten by police. I simply remove myself from any pending scenario.

It's behaviour like this and like in the Euro and wold cup matches that gets genuinely innocent people beaten or hurt, enough isn't done to prevent it as there is too much money to be made

That's a really dangerous generalisation.

2 minutes ago, Livid said:

It's just a different culture and you have to respect that.

La Liga doesn't have the massive away followings that the Premier League has, it hasn't had the Hillsborough aftermath to encourage a more softly softly policing approach to football fans.

You're English football supporters carrying a decades old reputation for bringing trouble wherever you go, they don't care if you're from Millwall or Little Old Leicester. Some genius's and their social media video helping themselves to "free" beer on a train didn't do us any favours.

You're in their town and playing by their rules have the good sense to tone it down and be savvy enough to know when to walk away.

I don't have much sympathy, sorry.

There are videos where our fans were trying to walk away and continued to be assaulted? What about those?

I suppose we should accept that because it's a different culture though shouldn't we.

Why do people keep going on about culture? It's got nothing to do with culture. It's just people being arseholes one way or another.

I don't care what country you're from, you know what is out of order and what isn't in civilized society.

• Like 1

Personally in the future I think the FA should provide security themselves for these 'fanzones' provided for Champions League games, English fans are harmless if policed well and the only reason it kicks off is because of policing from my experience, sometimes even just the presence. 

From bbc - 

Spanish police have said eight Leicester City fans were arrested for "causing a mess" ahead of their Champions League tie against Atletico Madrid.

The fans remain in custody following clashes with police on Tuesday evening and will appear in court on Thursday.

Banged up for 2 nights for causing a mess! Can't believe anyone on here can defend that.

1 minute ago, bart said:

From bbc - 

Spanish police have said eight Leicester City fans were arrested for "causing a mess" ahead of their Champions League tie against Atletico Madrid.

The fans remain in custody following clashes with police on Tuesday evening and will appear in court on Thursday.

Banged up for 2 nights for causing a mess! Can't believe anyone on here can defend that.

Depends if they 'messed' on your shoes! 

as ever, the truth is somewhere inbetween the two points of view 

Seems that the trouble kicked off last night after something was thrown ??  Guarantee the idiot that threw something wasn't sober.

back home that the police would have smiled back knowingly but it doesn't happen like that here and we know that from Seville.

if we have to police our own fans then there is no chance of any room at all on the Thomas cook flights !!

British football fans abroad still have a negative image. EURO 2016 as a most recent example.

Europeans (ahem) can somewhat be put off by English fans' behaviour or feel intimidated. I was in Copenhagen and inside one of the bars with mostly LCFC fans and it wasn't very pleasant, especially when police showed up to take away the most violent element.

What makes the Madrid events particularly interesting - and that's my theory - is a political component. I'm sure the heavy-handed police forces target English fans as a consequence of the Gibraltar question. Making a statement, so to speak.

Edited by MC Prussian