Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2017/18 U23s, Development, U19s etc

I think people overestimate the liklihood of a young player making it in the prem league. Thousands of young players try and only a handful make it each year. I think that academies are very important but I don't think you should expect a high return on them if you are a successful prem team. I see them as paying something back to the football community as these players then get contracts in lower league teams (which is a great result in its own right). 

You only need to look recently at how many young Manchester United prospects ended up doing well at Leicester when we were in the championship. Should we then scold Manure for "rejecting" Drinkwater and James and ....

I've think we've done well out of our development system as the league in general has too. Hopefully that will continue.

I understand the bitterness sometimes expressed by those with connections to the young footballers, the dream is to play in the Prem but really they should be more than happy with the training they get and the opportunity to enter professional football at any level. Certainly these youngsters shouldn't consider that they have a right to prem football - sadly they don't.

10 hours ago, Aleksz said:

How do we know if they we're just simply not watched by scouts from LCFC?

either way, if they played in the Leics junior leagues, doesnt that suggest they were "overlooked" by the LCFC system...?

Edited by Foxy-Lady

11 hours ago, ramadaone said:

Way off the mark with Bayliss

No idea what you mean by your cryptic comments but he was on trial at LCFC and his brother plays for LCFC academy so perhaps its better if you provide some facts rather than just bizzare unsupported comments...

1 hour ago, FIF said:

I think people overestimate the liklihood of a young player making it in the prem league. Thousands of young players try and only a handful make it each year. I think that academies are very important but I don't think you should expect a high return on them if you are a successful prem team. I see them as paying something back to the football community as these players then get contracts in lower league teams (which is a great result in its own right). 

You only need to look recently at how many young Manchester United prospects ended up doing well at Leicester when we were in the championship. Should we then scold Manure for "rejecting" Drinkwater and James and ....

I've think we've done well out of our development system as the league in general has too. Hopefully that will continue.

I understand the bitterness sometimes expressed by those with connections to the young footballers, the dream is to play in the Prem but really they should be more than happy with the training they get and the opportunity to enter professional football at any level. Certainly these youngsters shouldn't consider that they have a right to prem football - sadly they don't.

Fully agree with most of the points you make and definetely agree that if academys provide training and developemnt to enable players to have careers in lower pleague pro teams then that in itself should be considered success. And those who think their sons are on the road to fame & fortune the moment they sign for an academy are sadly mistaken and woefully unaware of the very low % that eventually make it.

But you also highlight TWO of the main concerns for me with academys that are all too eadily disregarded...

1/.  How is their success tangibly measured if not by what it produced for its first team or sold on to higher level teams?

How do you know that players of higher level ability under their tutelage were not stifled by not being properly developed or properly coached and

thereby ended up playing at a lower level than they could potentially have achieved with better coaching?

Do we just accept that the coaches are doing OK or do we question what is preventing them from doing better and improving the results?

-  turning Lead into Gold is a measure of success.  Turning Gold into Gold (or Lead in some cases!) is not so difficult to achieve

2/. Why do people always automatically assume that cricticing acadmeys is a sign of bitterness?    

Form what I know, it is difficult for anyone to criticise acadamies from within the system as it will potentially "damage" careers or opportunity

....and those who expose any shortcomings/failure "after the event" are immediately dismissed as being "bitter"

As a result, the system is not open to any kind of exposure, even where it is wrong and will therefore ultimately fall behind Vs other more progressive

systems (ie Germany, Spain etc)

"damned if you do....and damned if you dont"

What if the many people you descrbe as being "bitter" actually do have some valid criticisms to make and are correct in the points they raise?

Do their voices simply get disregarded as being "bitter" and unworthy of note?

Finally, while I have no direct connection, i do know parents/employees that do so I always try to make objective comment based on what I know/hear.

Does that make my comment "bitter" or objective in your view?

3 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

Fully agree with most of the points you make and definetely agree that if academys provide training and developemnt to enable players to have careers in lower pleague pro teams then that in itself should be considered success. And those who think their sons are on the road to fame & fortune the moment they sign for an academy are sadly mistaken and woefully unaware of the very low % that eventually make it.

But you also highlight TWO of the main concerns for me with academys that are all too eadily disregarded...

1/.  How is their success tangibly measured if not by what it produced for its first team or sold on to higher level teams?

How do you know that players of higher level ability under their tutelage were not stifled by not being properly developed or properly coached and

thereby ended up playing at a lower level than they could potentially have achieved with better coaching?

Do we just accept that the coaches are doing OK or do we question what is preventing them from doing better and improving the results?

-  turning Lead into Gold is a measure of success.  Turning Gold into Gold (or Lead in some cases!) is not so difficult to achieve

2/. Why do people always automatically assume that cricticing acadmeys is a sign of bitterness?    

Form what I know, it is difficult for anyone to criticise acadamies from within the system as it will potentially "damage" careers or opportunity

....and those who expose any shortcomings/failure "after the event" are immediately dismissed as being "bitter"

As a result, the system is not open to any kind of exposure, even where it is wrong and will therefore ultimately fall behind Vs other more progressive

systems (ie Germany, Spain etc)

"damned if you do....and damned if you dont"

What if the many people you descrbe as being "bitter" actually do have some valid criticisms to make and are correct in the points they raise?

Do their voices simply get disregarded as being "bitter" and unworthy of note?

Finally, while I have no direct connection, i do know parents/employees that do so I always try to make objective comment based on what I know/hear.

Does that make my comment "bitter" or objective in your view?

For your first point, success for your own team would be a correct but narrow view of success. If that were the case then none of the top sides would bother with academies as a very low percentage become a success in their own teams. Having said that if you get one player a year from them you've done really well and possibly saved yourself many million pounds. Also  It's impossible to turn lead into Gold, the trick is to mine and refine the gold so that it is valuable. I also think academy coaching is pretty good and better than most alternatives, which is why parents and players choose academies over non-league or other paths if they have the chance.

For your second point I don't think you are bitter and I enjoy reading your input - that doesn't mean that I have to agree with it all nor question it. Some people are bitter but that doesn't make all of their points invalid either.

On 23 February 2018 at 08:57, Foxy-Lady said:

No idea what you mean by your cryptic comments but he was on trial at LCFC and his brother plays for LCFC academy so perhaps its better if you provide some facts rather than just bizzare unsupported comments...

He was on trial but he chose Coventry he was not rejected

His brother does not play for LCFC

Plain enough English for you ?

As I said originally get your facts right before posting 

• Like 1

Leicester City's Development Squad must avoid defeat by Everton on Monday to secure top spot in Group F of the Premier League Cup - and you can watch it live on LCFC TV.

- Leicester City's Premier League Cup clash against Everton is live on LCFC TV on Monday night
- Following Weekend Review, coverage starts at 6:45pm GMT from Holmes Park
- The Foxes need to win or draw to seal top spot in Group F 
- Tickets are available from 5:30pm GMT at the Ticket Sales Point

The Toffees visit Holmes Park for a 7pm GMT kick-off, just one point behind City in the standings, but the Foxes go into the clash having already beaten Everton three times this term.

Coverage starts at 6:45pm GMT, shortly after Weekend Review, with pre-match build-up and team news being followed by live and free commentary from John Dunn and Sean St Ledger.

Tickets will also be available on the night of the clash, priced at £3 for Adults and £1 for Concessions (Over-65s and Under-18s), at the Ticket Sales Point from 5:30pm.

By registering to LCFC.com for free, supporters will receive exclusive video content while also being able to buy match tickets and official Foxes merchandise - all in one place.

You can follow the action by clicking HERE to register.

On 24/02/2018 at 15:28, ramadaone said:

He was on trial but he chose Coventry he was not rejected

His brother does not play for LCFC

Plain enough English for you ?

As I said originally get your facts right before posting 

Perfectly plain and thank you for confirming  i was 100% correct in stating that he was previously on trial at LCFC and that his brother, who was previously signed as a schoolboy for LCFC academy must have now been released (or left?!?) in last 12-18 months if he is no longer there.

Very kind of you also to confrim that LCFC did miss out on a talented 'local' player if he chose to join Coventry instead of LCFC and you really have to ask yourself WHY a 'local' leicester lad would do that if he had the choice of both given the travelling distance 3 nights per week training commitment...?!?  

But then again, we only have your word for that as I cannot find anything written to confrim that.

As the facts currently stand, it would appear my information was not quite so "way off the mark" as you previously indicated.

22 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

Seems like a few names are missing - Knight, Gordon, etc.

Are they injured or training with the First Team?

It’s the Cup so likelihood a few have been rested for the more important league games coming up. That’s why there’s a few academy lads on the bench as well ?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, davieG said:

So the remit for academies is to develop 1st team players. Looks like both these would fit in well with the way their. 1st teams are playing - crap

Think Wood, Pascanu and Hughes have looked very good. Like that Beaglehole is telling the backs to play the ball forward and that he's telling the attackers to press. Fun game so far without any chances.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, FIF said:

Think Wood, Pascanu and Hughes have looked very good. Like that Beaglehole is telling the backs to play the ball forward and that he's telling the attackers to press. Fun game so far without any chances.

Poor 1st touch and too many wayward passes from too many of them and that's both sides. Very little creativity from anyone. A lot of last minute panic clearances no one looks in control.

13 minutes ago, davieG said:

Poor 1st touch and too many wayward passes from too many of them and that's both sides. Very little creativity from anyone. A lot of last minute panic clearances no one looks in control.

Quite how Chaudrey is anywhere near the first team I have no idea.

3 minutes ago, Domsdad said:

Quite how Chaudrey is anywhere near the first team I have no idea.

He hasn't looked good today but I like his play normally. He pressurises players into mistakes, has a great long throw and normally good positional sense and passing.