Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2017/18 U23s, Development, U19s etc

Heard beaglehole blocked a few loan moves in the window as he wants to win the premier league 2. 

Not sure if that’s selfish or clever. Suppose he wants his strongest squad possible but on the other hand it’d be nice to see them in the lower leagues gain experience

Just now, LCFC FOX said:

Heard beaglehole blocked a few loan moves in the window as he wants to win the premier league 2. 

Not sure if that’s selfish or clever. Suppose he wants his strongest squad possible but on the other hand it’d be nice to see them in the lower leagues gain experience

Who's going to progress better in the PL2 rather than, say, Scunthorpe? It may benefit some but I'm really struggling to argue this. Does Beaglehole want to win the PL2 to force a high money transfer to Man City's u23s? We should be cautious of anyone with too much ambition in future.

11 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Who's going to progress better in the PL2 rather than, say, Scunthorpe? It may benefit some but I'm really struggling to argue this. Does Beaglehole want to win the PL2 to force a high money transfer to Man City's u23s? We should be cautious of anyone with too much ambition in future.

Not sure i understand the point you are trying to make here.....but i think i agree?!?

IMO, player development will be stifled if they continue to play development football indefinitely once they are ready to step up to the next level.

In the interests of the club and the players future career prospects, they should be moved up to the next level when they are ready so they are continually challenged and a pathway is subsequently created for the younger players beneath them to similarly step up a level when they are ready.

Winning the PL2 title is an absolute irrelevance if it stifles player development....which is what Yth football is supposedly all about

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LCFC FOX said:

Was it a reliable source you heard this from? Surely that's stifling the development of the younger players, also I'd be surprised if Beaglehole "trumps" Rudkin on decisions like this, imo, it's fundamental to their development to get lower league experience.

21 hours ago, LCFC FOX said:

Whoever made that decision, it's rubbish. Beaglehole said earlier in the season that they wanted enough points to be safe from PL2 relegation as soon as possible, so that as many players as possible could go on loan in the second half of the season. I imagine the players gave all they could in the first half of the season thinking about a loan and are now disheartened they were blocked. I'm not surprised if the recent downturn in U23s form is related to this.

1 minute ago, brucey said:

Whoever made that decision, it's rubbish. Beaglehole said earlier in the season that they wanted enough points to be safe from PL2 relegation as soon as possible, so that as many players as possible could go on loan in the second half of the season. I imagine the players gave all they could in the first half of the season thinking about a loan and are now disheartened they were blocked. I'm not surprised if the recent downturn in U23s form is related to this.

Well it's a smart thing to re-asses goals mid way through the season. Everton were really excited by the youngsters they have coming through and won the U23 PL last season. A lot of them are featuring in the first team this season (Davies, Kenny, Holgate, and some are on loan at big clubs (Lookman at Leipzig). I don't see why that can't happen with this crop of U23 players we have.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Poznan34 said:

Not saying he should be in the first team but where's the logic in bringing Barnes back from playing Championship football every week to play for the U23s? 

at least make the bench for more games then he has

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Poznan34 said:

Not saying he should be in the first team but where's the logic in bringing Barnes back from playing Championship football every week to play for the U23s? 

Well Barnsley were going nowhere. But I agree it would have surely been better than two FA cup matches and then the U23s. Perhaps Puel thought he'd fight his way into the first team. He was on a high before he came back -- success in the u23s, success in league 1, success in the championship -- but that didn't seem to continue. Hopefully he'll get some bench time and a bit of time on the pitch.

3-1. We were briefly top of the league before their consolation goal. Hamza had another good game. Some of his passing was fantastic. Both he and Barnes are at a level above this. Barnes could have had another were he less selfless. Barnes seems a great player when you're moving forwards, his positioning and touch are fantastic. He doesn't currently look like an amazing player to have when you're up against it. But then he is an attacking midfielder after all. He's no Shinji, that's for sure. Eppiah's goal was superb and he nicely assisted Harvey's. It's Liverpool at home next: top of the table clash.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, TheMightySystem said:

Hope in the upcoming preseason Puel gives Eppiah, Barnes and Knight plenty of game time in friendlys. Knight especially has look good every time I have seen him play.

Knight and Hughes have been very good, not sure which is better. They both love a goal too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

We need Europe next season for some of this lot to get some first team experience as even with a fairly small squad now, the chances of any of them getting any minutes is low. Even under Puel, the PL demands you don't take risks.

I don't know if I'd want us taking risks in Europe either. West Ham a few seasons ago regularly going out to Latvian sides etc because they would play the kids and use it as a pre-season run out.