Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

FIFA 18

I had a massive clear out of my club including Griezmann, Matuidi, Marchisio, Buffon and IF Alessandrini (that one hurt) not to mention absolutely stacks of gold cards that I've been slowly amassing. 

Got myself 87 Luis Hernandez. The guy is absolutely insane. Besides my very brief stint with Inzaghi I've never really used an icon before so this is finally my first decent one. It's nuts. I accidentally sneeze near the controller and he scores. Ridiculous.

Have him playing at cam in a 4312 with Lozano and Martinez up front. Aranguiz, Vidal and Radja in the middle. Schmelzer, Sokratis, Manolas, Florenzi at the back and Burki in goal. 

Really lovely balanced side. Plays beautifully. I say this a lot but I can't see myself changing it for a while. 

Every time I've been in the weekend league I've started badly. Has anyone else noticed this? I've lost my first four and I know for a fact this will go on until I'm about 10/15 games deep when it will all of a sudden become loads easier.

It's such a shame that a large proportion of your winning chances comes down to some weird algorithm. Every keeper I'm coming up against is a world beater and my defenders are all clueless.

But in 10 games' time I'll be scoring off the back of my heel behind my standing leg and their keeper will be falling on his arse watching it go in. 

Why not just let it be about which player is better? Really feels like they want most players to win about half of their games to make it an even playing field.

4 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Every time I've been in the weekend league I've started badly. Has anyone else noticed this? I've lost my first four and I know for a fact this will go on until I'm about 10/15 games deep when it will all of a sudden become loads easier.

It's such a shame that a large proportion of your winning chances comes down to some weird algorithm. Every keeper I'm coming up against is a world beater and my defenders are all clueless.

But in 10 games' time I'll be scoring off the back of my heel behind my standing leg and their keeper will be falling on his arse watching it go in. 

Why not just let it be about which player is better? Really feels like they want most players to win about half of their games to make it an even playing field.

This. Every single fifa edition is like this.

8 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Yep, although most people seem to start well and have a bad run after 10 games I seem to be the opposite. Gold 2 material no matter what lol

28 minutes ago, deejdeej said:

Yep, although most people seem to start well and have a bad run after 10 games I seem to be the opposite. Gold 2 material no matter what lol

In either instance it's called ELO. 

It's in a lot of online gaming, it's just matching you according to form. It's nothing more cynical than that. 

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

In either instance it's called ELO. 

It's in a lot of online gaming, it's just matching you according to form. It's nothing more cynical than that. 

I think there is an element of that, sure, but there is definitely another side to it in-play which is nothing to do with the ability of your opponent.

I know 'it's football' and 'anything can happen', but in certain games it doesn't matter if you make 10 guilt edge chances, because the keeper will save it. Fast forward to the 'easy' games and it's almost as though it's in before you've pressed anything.

Just now, Nod.E said:

I think there is an element of that, sure, but there is definitely another side to it in-play which is nothing to do with the ability of your opponent.

I know 'it's football' and 'anything can happen', but in certain games it doesn't matter if you make 10 guilt edge chances, because the keeper will save it. Fast forward to the 'easy' games and it's almost as though it's in before you've pressed anything.

Of course there is, it’s a lucrative pot for EA.... there has to be something to level the playing field for young gamers (the ones that buy most of the packs)

The odd win, to keep them trying and coming back 

• Thanks 1

Also the more you play the game, the more you notice when your team has the more edge.

Play feels fast

passes seem fluid.

As opposed to 

slow like they are in sludge

98 percent misplaced passes 

the opposition doesn’t even need to intercept.

there is also something scripted in the game about late goals.

48 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Also the more you play the game, the more you notice when your team has the more edge.

Play feels fast

passes seem fluid.

As opposed to 

slow like they are in sludge

98 percent misplaced passes 

the opposition doesn’t even need to intercept.

there is also something scripted in the game about late goals.

Momentum is in the game for sure however when playing on Squad Battles on World Class and higher i always feel from 75 minutes plus the computer becomes unstoppable.

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

You're right, there is more going on. It's called confirmation bias and it's your brain subconsciously looking for "evidence" that supports your beliefs and devaluing anything that contradicts you. 

You're just not as good at the game as you think you are. That's not intended to be an insult, nobody is. The vast majority of fifa players think they're above average but the truth is most of us just aren't. It takes a small fluctuation in the quality of the opponent and we're on the back foot. 

The game is cheaply designed, that's definitely true, the physics engine is borked, the ai is crude, both throw up an awful lot of abnormalities and I would never deny that "EAIDS" is entirely real. 

But the idea that the game is cynically programmed to even out the playing field is just a paranoid fantasy crested and repeatedly enforced by young men and boys on the Internet who base far too much of their self esteem on their ability to win at a game and take it far too personally when they lose. 

I appreciate this sounds condescending and offensive as hell but I can assure you there are times this applies to me as much as anyone else. I get tetchy and find myself ranting at stupid things the game does and there are times I find myself tempted to buy in to the conspiracy. But then I eventually calm down and realise I'm being absurd. 

EA can barely programme the ai to pass the ball in the direction you want it to, they really aren't investing time and effort in to hard coding the game to somehow shaft you based on complicated algorithms that measure how many fifa points you've bought or how strong your players are or whatever else people believe. 

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

Of course there is, it’s a lucrative pot for EA.... there has to be something to level the playing field for young gamers (the ones that buy most of the packs)

The odd win, to keep them trying and coming back 

EA don't need to cynically programme the game in order to make money. People will buy both it and fifa points based solely on hype. They're more than happy for you to keep being paranoid about it because it gets people talking about the game but ultimately there's no dark arts going on. 

It's just a cheap, mass produced computer game with flaws. 

Most of the problems you cite are generally either you not really understanding the impact of latency on online game play or the above mentioned confirmation bias. 

19 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Momentum is in the game for sure however when playing on Squad Battles on World Class and higher i always feel from 75 minutes plus the computer becomes unstoppable.

Momentum was a term found by someone in the coding of the game and posted to reddit. 

It's actually a dynamic difficulty setting that influences the ai in single player modes. Essentially, if you're winning the ai gets stronger, if you're losing it gets weaker. It's not all that rare in games, it's just trying to tune itself to your ability. 

It was not ever nor was it ever proven to be in multiplayer. The code never implied it was in multiplayer. All of the xml or whatever it was referred to the ai. 

I know I sound like a shill for EA, I'm not, I hate the ****ers. They are money grabbing cynics that launch the same identical game every year, I think pack weights are a joke, fifa points are a scam, the bias towards the big clubs is tragic, the refusal to fix a lot of game play imbalances is lazy and the quality of the servers is consistently poor with their other titles. 

But there's is no scripting, there is no momentum, when you lose its largely just down to you or the broken physics of the game. Or just sheer dumb luck. 

There has never been any proof to the contrary and there never will because when you stop and think about it, it makes no ****ing sense. Do you appreciate how much programming would go in to the game to make it "cheat" you as much as some people believe? These guys can't even be bothered to fix the chemistry mechanics to stop people abusing formation changes in game. They definitely don't have the resources to script scripting. 

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

You're right, there is more going on. It's called confirmation bias and it's your brain subconsciously looking for "evidence" that supports your beliefs and devaluing anything that contradicts you. 

You're just not as good at the game as you think you are. That's not intended to be an insult, nobody is. The vast majority of fifa players think they're above average but the truth is most of us just aren't. It takes a small fluctuation in the quality of the opponent and we're on the back foot. 

The game is cheaply designed, that's definitely true, the physics engine is borked, the ai is crude, both throw up an awful lot of abnormalities and I would never deny that "EAIDS" is entirely real. 

But the idea that the game is cynically programmed to even out the playing field is just a paranoid fantasy crested and repeatedly enforced by young men and boys on the Internet who base far too much of their self esteem on their ability to win at a game and take it far too personally when they lose. 

I appreciate this sounds condescending and offensive as hell but I can assure you there are times this applies to me as much as anyone else. I get tetchy and find myself ranting at stupid things the game does and there are times I find myself tempted to buy in to the conspiracy. But then I eventually calm down and realise I'm being absurd. 

EA can barely programme the ai to pass the ball in the direction you want it to, they really aren't investing time and effort in to hard coding the game to somehow shaft you based on complicated algorithms that measure how many fifa points you've bought or how strong your players are or whatever else people believe. 

EA don't need to cynically programme the game in order to make money. People will buy both it and fifa points based solely on hype. They're more than happy for you to keep being paranoid about it because it gets people talking about the game but ultimately there's no dark arts going on. 

Most of the problems you cite are generally either you not really understanding the impact of latency on online game play or the above mentioned confirmation bias. 

Momentum was a term found by someone in the coding of the game and posted to reddit. 

It's actually a dynamic difficulty setting that influences the ai in single player modes. Essentially, if you're winning the ai gets stronger, if you're losing it gets weaker. It's not all that rare in games, it's just trying to tune itself to your ability. 

It was not ever nor was it ever proven to be in multiplayer. The code never implied it was in multiplayer. All of the xml or whatever it was referred to the ai. 

I know I sound like a shill for EA, I'm not, I hate the ****ers. They are money grabbing cynics that launch the same identical game every year, I think pack weights are a joke, fifa points are a scam, the bias towards the big clubs is tragic, the refusal to fix a lot of game play imbalances is lazy and the quality of the servers is consistently poor with their other titles. 

But there's is no scripting, there is no momentum, when you lose its largely just down to you or the broken physics of the game. Or just sheer dumb luck. 

There has never been any proof to the contrary and there never will because when you stop and think about it, it makes no ****ing sense. Do you appreciate how much programming would go in to the game to make it "cheat" you as much as some people believe? These guys can't even be bothered to fix the chemistry mechanics to stop people abusing formation changes in game. They definitely don't have the resources to script scripting. 

Momentum is a thing though? It happens in game wether people like it or not. Its in the coding like you said.. 

Shocker, just missed another normal time penalty in SBC game. 

Also my players running through sludge and missing passes one game, and then being rapid another isn’t some form of scripting or momentum? That’s what annoys me so much, stuff like Stirling getting ragged for pace by 40 pace defender. 

I've had it before. You play a match and you can instantly tell whether your going to have a successful match by the speed of the game. Players seem quicker, the ball gets moved about slicker, every time you shoot you score etc etc. And then the next game your team is slow as fvck, can't pass for shit and couldn't score in a brothel.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

I've had it before. You play a match and you can instantly tell whether your going to have a successful match by the speed of the game. Players seem quicker, the ball gets moved about slicker, every time you shoot you score etc etc. And then the next game your team is slow as fvck, can't pass for shit and couldn't score in a brothel.

Can’t. Stop. Playing. Though. 

9 hours ago, Finnegan said:

The clip is in Spanish, but in brief it describes a concept called player morale, whereby for instance goal keepers will perform increasingly better if they make a couple of saves and vice versa. Presumably, similar conditions apply to other players as well.

Wasnt that from Spanish EA rep

"EA don't need to cynically programme the game in order to make money. People will buy both it and fifa points based solely on hype. They're more than happy for you to keep being paranoid about it because it gets people talking about the game but ultimately there's no dark arts going on. 

Most of the problems you cite are generally either you not really understanding the impact of latency on online game play or the above mentioned confirmation bias". 

Slightly condescending!!

I disagree, kids are not going to be inclined to spend money on a game mode they never win at, it would be interesting to know how much EA makes from packs.

Also I can assure you its not about skill level a majority of the time, hence why there are ridiculous comebacks a lot of time, i'm talking about the weekend league.

I'm not sure how you can be so adamant in your posts, when you are yet to really experience that.

Its one thing reading forums and basing your opinion on that, its another playing thousands of games.

2 hours ago, buzzer_b said:

Agreed, but apparently its not the case

2 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

The clip is in Spanish, but in brief it describes a concept called player morale, whereby for instance goal keepers will perform increasingly better if they make a couple of saves and vice versa. Presumably, similar conditions apply to other players as well.

Wasnt that from Spanish EA rep

"EA don't need to cynically programme the game in order to make money. People will buy both it and fifa points based solely on hype. They're more than happy for you to keep being paranoid about it because it gets people talking about the game but ultimately there's no dark arts going on. 

Most of the problems you cite are generally either you not really understanding the impact of latency on online game play or the above mentioned confirmation bias". 

Slightly condescending!!

I disagree, kids are not going to be inclined to spend money on a game mode they never win at, it would be interesting to know how much EA makes from packs.

Also I can assure you its not about skill level a majority of the time, hence why there are ridiculous comebacks a lot of time, i'm talking about the weekend league.

I'm not sure how you can be so adamant in your posts, when you are yet to really experience that.

Its one thing reading forums and basing your opinion on that, its another playing thousands of games.

Don’t forget the defence splitting through balls the cpu makes or long balls that it wins, but when you attack they seem to have about 8 men back, and then screw you on the counter with one pass. 

9 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Paid ludicrously over the odds for a league of Ireland in form when I probably could have done it more intelligently but glad I picked up that Maguire. Looks a brilliant super sub. 

I bought him for 6.5k on Wednesday because I seen the awards were coming up, wish I’d bought a few more now.

I might try and build a decent championship side now with the SBC Liam Moore and the Irish Preston bloke.

So first time I've played the WE league on FIFA 18. Played 3 games today and stopped there. Possibly the worst game mode on Fifa. Unbelievably fixed and broken. This will be the last time I ever play the WE league and maybe even UT.

Edited by buzzer_b

27 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

So first time I've played the WE league on FIFA 18. Played 3 games today and stopped there. Possibly the worst game mode on Fifa. Unbelievably fixed and broken. This will be the last time I ever play the WE league and maybe even UT.

Until next week.