Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grantham Fox

European Football 17/18

13 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Wow - the ref in the women's euro game (England vs Spain) has just bottled a decision. Having blown and awarded a penalty for hand ball to Spain, seconds later it becomes a drop ball.

in my mind, she was right in giving the penalty.

No worse than the absolute howler of an offside decision which should have put England 2 up. 

1860 Munich returned home on Friday. Their first game at the Grunwalder since being relegated to the fourth tier. Won 3-1. I nearly went the Grunwalder to see the Munich reserves derby. It absolutely bucketed it down with snow 

13 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Wow - the ref in the women's euro game (England vs Spain) has just bottled a decision. Having blown and awarded a penalty for hand ball to Spain, seconds later it becomes a drop ball.

in my mind, she was right in giving the penalty.

Having read up more about it. Before the tournament, they all had meetings saying that if the ball is deflected or played on to the players own arm, then the penalty doesn't need to be given. It was pointed out that the ball came up off the England player's own thigh on to her arm so no penalty was given. It's absolutely rubbish and I don't agree with it, it should have been a pen, but apparently those are the rules as it's classed as unintentional :dunno:

EDIT: Explained slightly better in this BBC article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40701230

Edited by Darkon84

1 hour ago, Darkon84 said:

Having read up more about it. Before the tournament, they all had meetings saying that if the ball is deflected or played on to the players own arm, then the penalty doesn't need to be given. It was pointed out that the ball came up off the England player's own thigh on to her arm so no penalty was given. It's absolutely rubbish and I don't agree with it, it should have been a pen, but apparently those are the rules as it's classed as unintentional :dunno:

EDIT: Explained slightly better in this BBC article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40701230

I've read that too... yet my instinct from playing the game told me that was a penalty (and no doubt this is why the referee in this case instinctively pointed to the spot - normally the best judge of a situation).

That game just showed how much of a mess two key laws are in the game and the dire need to have a clear cut definition. 

In the handball case, I think the common thinking is if you end up handling the ball due to your own poor technique it's difficult to describe it as accidental. Okay you didn't design things like that, but you're still at fault - getting the ball blasted against you is something completely different.

Then the offside decision... its s brave one, but I can see why it's given because the player in the six yard box is within the goalkeepers vision and could have effected the (poor) attempt to save the initial header. Old school rules, that would always be offside, these days, it's anyone's interpretation.

So ideally, what is needed is a way to take away the ambiguity - if that's by declaring all hand balls as hand balls and removing the notion of offside altogether except for in the penalty area where if you're offside, you're offside - so be it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

No worse than the absolute howler of an offside decision which should have put England 2 up. 

1860 Munich returned home on Friday. Their first game at the Grunwalder since being relegated to the fourth tier. Won 3-1. I nearly went the Grunwalder to see the Munich reserves derby. It absolutely bucketed it down with snow 

I'd love to get down there and see a game. Am I right in thinking they've skipped the 3.Liga because the nutcase owner wouldn't pay the licence fee :huh:?

1 hour ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

I've read that too... yet my instinct from playing the game told me that was a penalty (and no doubt this is why the referee in this case instinctively pointed to the spot - normally the best judge of a situation).

That game just showed how much of a mess two key laws are in the game and the dire need to have a clear cut definition. 

In the handball case, I think the common thinking is if you end up handling the ball due to your own poor technique it's difficult to describe it as accidental. Okay you didn't design things like that, but you're still at fault - getting the ball blasted against you is something completely different.

Then the offside decision... its s brave one, but I can see why it's given because the player in the six yard box is within the goalkeepers vision and could have effected the (poor) attempt to save the initial header. Old school rules, that would always be offside, these days, it's anyone's interpretation.

So ideally, what is needed is a way to take away the ambiguity - if that's by declaring all hand balls as hand balls and removing the notion of offside altogether except for in the penalty area where if you're offside, you're offside - so be it!

I've not seen the offside decision, but I'm in total agreement with regards to everything you've said about the handball. It was a penalty, no argument. If I was playing and that happened to the opposition team, I'd be going mad for a pen to be given. Then if it had happened to me, I'd be expecting to have a pen given against me. Absolute madness that such a key part of the game can be taken in two such different ways. It's a pen, end of.

15 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Nope, just a very embarrassing typo in an official club tweet.

It's not a typo. It's them trying to be funny.

That account is a complete embarrassment. Constantly attempting memes and stuff. Needs binning imo

37 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

I'd love to get down there and see a game. Am I right in thinking they've skipped the 3.Liga because the nutcase owner wouldn't pay the licence fee :huh:?

I'm not entirely sure of the detail but that's the official line. There's more to it. 

Firstly 3.Liga could have seen them still wedded to the Allianz still which the fans and the owner didn't want. I think even the current manager, former player Daniel Bierofka doesn't have the coaching license required to manage in the third tier. 

The owner was pushing for fifth tier as that is not under the control of the DFB but instead the local FA's - there he could increase his ownership above 50% (basically what Red Bull realised with buying a club). The board are still trying to somehow get rid of him but it's appearing very difficult to do. Alongside this, it's hard to predict the outcome of having Ismaik's debt on the club at this level. He's even put money up in the past three months which kept the club running. Therefore the board need to find legally a way of getting rid of him but also with an investor on board whose willing to pay the debts off. 

Added to that even success has it's issues because there's no way they could play in Bundesliga 2 with the Grunwalder. The Allianz completly ruled out and the Olympiastadion is literally tarmaced (although the stadium is there in full). 

Good luck with getting a ticket - they were queuing Wednesday morning at 4am for Friday's game. 

2 hours ago, AKCJ said:

It's not a typo. It's them trying to be funny.

That account is a complete embarrassment. Constantly attempting memes and stuff. Needs binning imo

Even if it's deliberate, still a typo. lol

Besides, Bavarians aren't known to be the most humorous people in Germany.

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Even if it's deliberate, still a typo. lol

Besides, Bavarians aren't known to be the most humorous people in Germany.

I think the account isn't ran by a local but like a lot of foreign language twitter feeds ran by an anorak fan. 

reports suggesting Real Madrid and Monaco have reached agreement on an E180 million deal for Kylian MBappe.

it's just unbelievable the amount of players Monaco seem to be selling at the moment!

they are making an absolute fortune but the dressing room will look a little bare! lol 

Goretzka going to Bayern, top player in there making there.

It'll be interesting how the German lads Bayern have brought in do against meaningful opposition this year (ie. Europe). Sule, Goretzka, Rudy and Gnabry off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, Lovejoy said:

Goretzka going to Bayern, top player in there making there.

It'll be interesting how the German lads Bayern have brought in do against meaningful opposition this year (ie. Europe). Sule, Goretzka, Rudy and Gnabry off the top of my head.

Gnabry has gone out on loan to Hoffenheim already i think