Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Slimani

Just now, foxes21 said:

In the 2nd striker position (the position we signed Slimani for): Ulloa > Slimani

Slimani is a better CF, but he doesn't have the attributes to play the CF role in our system.

No he is not. Ulloa is just better at winning headers in the midfield, everything else he is worse. In one thing you are correct, Slimani isn't a number 10, never was. His position is the number 9 and it is there that he should have been used, to have his full potential. Still playing in a role that isn't natural for him he had the best goal per minute ratio in the squad, so imagine if he played in his best role.

Whilst I don't know for definite I would have thought selling him back to Sporting would be the perfect transfer for all parties assuming we're keen to offload him, as I suspect the sale to us would have been structured in instalments and by selling him back to Sporting we'll essentially stipulate that the remaining instalments that we owe are written off and therefore not lose out much at all.

Ideally I'd like to see him be a part of the squad next season as I think with a good preseason under his belt he'll score between 15-20 goals, however if Shakespeare let's him go I'll totally understand as despite his ability I'm not so sure we'll ever play to his strength's.

4 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

How many times did you watch us play to assimilate a view on his performances?

Granted I saw little of him for SL but I can assure you that my views although they will not wholly agreed with by LCFC fans are also the views of certain staff internally. I watched him in the flesh last season in games, warm ups and at training and can assure you he has a way about him which did not reflect the traits you describe.

Hopefully you may see him back with you or in Portugal very soon as he very much did not buy into our club ethos.

In terms of Vardy I will not even waste my time justifying his iconic status - you must be slightly sheltered as he was one of the players who led us to be Champions in 15/16 but hey £30m having scored goals in a second rate league must make him a superstar!!..........not!!!

Second rate league? You lost 5-0 against Porto and if it wasn't for Slimani in King Power you wouldn't win... As for watching the games, I watched every single Leicester game this season so I am qualified to talk about it, you on the other hand, must be talking about other player or something. He has a pretty good movement, first touch no so much, but it is reasonable so don't get what are you talking about. Of course BPL is better than Portuguese League, but don't call it Second rate League, because it isn't. As for Vardy, I understand he was one of the best players in the title run season, but so was Mahrez and people slated Mahrez way more than Vardy, and no one can deny that Vardy had a shit season.

he'll be staying. Ulloa/Musa (maybe both) will go before him I reckon. Slimani is simply a better striker than him - especially in their main threats which is aerially. 

As someone stated earlier, a choice of Vardy/Slimani/Iheanacho/Okazaki isn't too shabby as they all offer something very different to each other. Vardy's got the pace, Slimani has the aerial/physical ability, Iheanacho a traditional poacher kind of striker, Okazaki does the hard yards and will run himself in to the ground for other strikers/midfielders. Ulloa and Musa don't/won't feature much. 

1 minute ago, Eagle10 said:

Second rate league? You lost 5-0 against Porto and if it wasn't for Slimani in King Power you wouldn't win... As for watching the games, I watched every single Leicester game this season so I am qualified to talk about it, you on the other hand, must be talking about other player or something. He has a pretty good movement, first touch no so much, but it is reasonable so don't get what are you talking about.

Remind me how far Porto progressed in the champions league?

Also I was at that game and we happen to field our reserves.

We can agree to disagree but can guarantee we will not be building our team around him which as Marshy says means we are not playing to his strengths but fundamentally he has not been value and IF we have a way to get him off the books then I believe it will happen.

Just now, Old Fox said:

Remind me how far Porto progressed in the champions league?

Also I was at that game and we happen to field our reserves.

We can agree to disagree but can guarantee we will not be building our team around him which as Marshy says means we are not playing to his strengths but fundamentally he has not been value and IF we have a way to get him off the books then I believe it will happen.

Ok, fair enough. You won't play to his strengths, but that doesn't make him not worth the money or a bad player. He had 15 games total in the minutes he played. How can you judge a player that had 15 games all season? And still has a pretty good goal return, I watched him play 3 seasons in Sporting one of which he played 30+ games and scored 31 goals in a season, so I can tell you he is a great striker for sure.

4 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

Ok, fair enough. You won't play to his strengths, but that doesn't make him not worth the money or a bad player. He had 15 games total in the minutes he played. How can you judge a player that had 15 games all season? And still has a pretty good goal return, I watched him play 3 seasons in Sporting one of which he played 30+ games and scored 31 goals in a season, so I can tell you he is a great striker for sure.

You base your assessment on his one outstanding season with Sporting mostly, that in a rather shit league with only four to five decent teams!

C'mon, take your rose-tinted glasses off.

Btw, 15 matches is enough to judge a player. To see how he moves, how he operates, his body language, etc.

For what it's worth, I want both Mahrez and Slimani to stay and play another full season. Then we can come back to this argument.

Just now, Eagle10 said:

I will bow to your better knowledge that he would thrive in the primeira and you may get your wish to see him again.

It will hinge on whether Ulloa decides to sign his new deal because I understand that IF he does then Slim may well be moved on.

Worth the money - not from what i have seen but as I mentioned it is also an attitude or mentality that will need to change for him to become part of the LCFC set up next season - I am genuinely of the view that we are making some good moves in the market with one or two other surprises to come!!

1 minute ago, MC Prussian said:

You base your assessment on his one outstanding season with Sporting mostly, that in a rather shit league with only four to five decent teams!

C'mon, take your rose-tinted glasses off.

Btw, 15 matches is enough to judge a player. To see how he moves, how he operates, his body language, etc.

15 matches when some of them he was playing injured and others he came on at 75 minutes, it isn't that much. Specially when the team was playing bad all season long. He played in the Champions League with Sporting too, and played good, not only in Portuguese League. You are talking about something you don't know, do some research first, otherwise you are just wasting my time.

10 minutes ago, StanSP said:

he'll be staying. Ulloa/Musa (maybe both) will go before him I reckon. Slimani is simply a better striker than him - especially in their main threats which is aerially. 

As someone stated earlier, a choice of Vardy/Slimani/Iheanacho/Okazaki isn't too shabby as they all offer something very different to each other. Vardy's got the pace, Slimani has the aerial/physical ability, Iheanacho a traditional poacher kind of striker, Okazaki does the hard yards and will run himself in to the ground for other strikers/midfielders. Ulloa and Musa don't/won't feature much. 

I agree with all of that. Except, perhaps naively, I wouldnt mind seeing Musa have another season as perhaps a useful squad player consider he can be used on the wing too. Curious to see if he could improve over the course of another season in a reinvigorated squad

4 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

I will bow to your better knowledge that he would thrive in the primeira and you may get your wish to see him again.

It will hinge on whether Ulloa decides to sign his new deal because I understand that IF he does then Slim may well be moved on.

Worth the money - not from what i have seen but as I mentioned it is also an attitude or mentality that will need to change for him to become part of the LCFC set up next season - I am genuinely of the view that we are making some good moves in the market with one or two other surprises to come!!

He wasn't worth the money at all, if you judge this season only. But in my perspective, this season was strange to say the least, he didn't have the play time as a 30M£ player should have. But it is just my opinion, people have theirs. As for seeing him again, I don't think so, 2 or 3 BPL clubs were interested on him, don't think he would prefer to come here, but who knows.

15 matches when some of them he was playing injured and others he came on at 75 minutes, it isn't that much. Specially when the team was playing bad all season long. He played in the Champions League with Sporting too, and played good, not only in Portuguese League. You are talking about something you don't know, do some research first, otherwise you are just wasting my time.

It makes me smile when you come onto our site spouting rubbish yet we are wasting your time.....................

Your making yourself look a mug so move along back to your own club site where you can idolise a player who has been to date bang average!

2 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

It makes me smile when you come onto our site spouting rubbish yet we are wasting your time.....................

Your making yourself look a mug so move along back to your own club site where you can idolise a player who has been to date bang average!

How am I spouting rubbish brother? I'm just stating facts. He was average, I already agreed to that, but he didn't have the right amount of play time, nor he was fully fit to be fairly judged. I was just comparing this season he had to the season he had here in Sporting when he was a starter all season long.

12 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

Firstly, 15 games are enough to judge a player, regardless of how many minutes he plays.

Second, the team wasn't playing "bad all season long" - just rubbish from a Sporting fan who hasn't seen us play well in the second half of the season, leaving all relegation worries behind with a late resurgence.

Besides, you mentioned his outstanding season with Sporting only, and that's what I was referring to. He scored 85% of his 30+ goals in that mediocre league of yours, two in the Cup. If you choose to ignore that, your call. Won't help you getting away from your image as a self-centered Sporting lunatic with a hard-on for Slimani, especially when you continue to passive aggressively insult posters on here, criticizing Slimani for good reason.

Wasting your breath MC Prussian, just stick him on your ignore list....I only remembered he existed because I didn't tick all the boxes ad can still see when he's quoted. I realised that a lot of my dislike of Slimani was enhanced because so many of his compatriots were spouting unrealistic sh1t about him. ;)

1 minute ago, MC Prussian said:

Firstly, 15 games are enough to judge a player, regardless of how many minutes he plays.

Second, the team wasn't playing "bad all season long" - just rubbish from a Sporting fan who hasn't seen us play well in the second half of the season, leaving all relegation worries behind with a late resurgence.

Besides, you mentioned his outstanding season with Sporting only, and that's what I was referring to. He scored 85% of his 30+ goals in that mediocre league of yours, two in the Cup. If you choose to ignore that, your call. Won't help you getting away from your image as a self-centered Sporting lunatic with a hard-on for Slimani, especially when you continue to passive aggressively insult posters on here, criticizing Slimani for good reason.

Am I insulting someone? I didn't insult anyone, just stating my point. I'm not a Sporting lunatic, just a normal Sporting fan, Slimani is a striker that I enjoyed to see play for my club, and he got a big transfer move good for him. I just found unfair the amount of slate he gets, sure he deserves to be criticized, especially for his fitness, but he wasn't anywhere near the player he was in Sporting, and didn't get anywhere near the playtime he should have had. I'm not ignoring anything, he scored always in the big matches, not only against the poor teams, but you are correct our league has 4-5 teams that are good the others are average at best. Lastly, you are saying I insulted posters, you just called me a lunatic my friend, who is insulting who?

2 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

Wasting your breath MC Prussian, just stick him on your ignore list....I only remembered he existed because I didn't tick all the boxes ad can still see when he's quoted. I realised that a lot of my dislike of Slimani was enhanced because so many of his compatriots were spouting unrealistic sh1t about him. ;)

Unrealistic is if I was lying in the things I was saying, just check his stats for yourself.

Am I insulting someone? I didn't insult anyone, just stating my point. I'm not a Sporting lunatic, just a normal Sporting fan, Slimani is a striker that I enjoyed to see play for my club, and he got a big transfer move good for him. I just found unfair the amount of slate he gets, sure he deserves to be criticized, especially for his fitness, but he wasn't anywhere near the player he was in Sporting, and didn't get anywhere near the playtime he should have had. I'm not ignoring anything, he scored always in the big matches, not only against the poor teams, but you are correct our league has 4-5 teams that are good the others are average at best. Lastly, you are saying I insulted posters, you just called me a lunatic my friend, who is insulting who?

Oh, you only pop up when Slimani is mentioned (or in 95% of all cases), which makes you come across as very self-centered (around that topic).

And yes, your passive-aggressive way going on about things, slating posters on here who have all come to the same conclusion when talking about the player vs. your portrait of Slimani can be described as "insulting".

When I say "Sporting lunatic", you know it's with regards to your stance regarding Slimani. Your defense of him is staggering. Obsessive.

5 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Oh, you only pop up when Slimani is mentioned (or in 95% of all cases), which makes you come across as very self-centered (around that topic).

And yes, your passive-aggressive way going on about things, slating posters on here who have all come to the same conclusion when talking about the player vs. your portrait of Slimani can be described as "insulting".

When I say "Sporting lunatic", you know it's with regards to your stance regarding Slimani. Your defense of him is staggering. Obsessive.

I'm not defending, I couldn't care less about his reputation or what fans think about him. I just enjoy watching football and discussing football, and when a player is wrongly judged I don't like it so I start an healthy argument nothing more. I defended Mahrez too, Drinky, etc.. Not only Slimani. Because I watched the games and know what I'm talking about. Of course you guys are correct to criticize him as I said, because he is at fault of course, he had horrible games, especially the one against Derby, but a player can't be ruled out that early, especially considering everything he has gone through the season. 

Just now, Eagle10 said:

I'm not defending, I couldn't care less about his reputation or what fans think about him. I just enjoy watching football and discussing football, and when a player is wrongly judged I don't like it so I start an healthy argument nothing more. I defended Mahrez too, Drinky, etc.. Not only Slimani. Because I watched the games and know what I'm talking about. Of course you guys are correct to criticize him as I said, because he is at fault of course, he had horrible games, especially the one against Derby, but a player can't be ruled out that early, especially considering everything he has gone through the season. 

Listen, I want Slimani to be a succcess at Leicester, but there's three things he needs to do in order to redeem himself:

a) Remain fit throughout the season - the mysterious "groin injury" cannot pop up again!

b) Work on his attitude, both on and off the pitch - he's not the most likeable of guys within the dressing room according to several reports

c) score goals - he's a striker, that's what he's paid for. Otherwise, that £28m price tag will never go away.

All in all, it's about redemption. Similar case with Mahrez. He's lost a lot of sympathies within the fanbase, so he and Slimani better make up for last season.

Just now, MC Prussian said:

Listen, I want Slimani to be a succcess at Leicester, but there's three things he needs to do in order to redeem himself:

a) Remain fit throughout the season - the mysterious "groin injury" cannot pop up again!

b) Work on his attitude, both on and off the pitch - he's not the most likeable of guys within the dressing room according to several reports

c) score goals - he's a striker, that's what he's paid for. Otherwise, that £28m price tag will never go away.

All in all, it's about redemption. Similar case with Mahrez. He's lost a lot of sympathies within the fanbase, so he and Slimani better make up for last season.

Absolutely. I completely agree with you on this one. And for the record, I never thought he was worth that price tag, for me he should have gone for £20m not more than that. He is a pretty good striker when the teams play to his strength but his overall game, isn't worth more than that.

Archived