Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finley Parsons

Leicester Tigers

I've expressed my opinion on how the media's crusade against Internet abuse is misguided and missing the point and I stand by it, so I'm not really going to be a fan of BT Sport's new anti abuse adverts anyway. 

That said, making Austin Healey one of the faces of it and having him line up in the advert alongside black sports people, female athletes and pundits, etc is just tone deaf and moronic on an enormous level. 

Whilst I agree nobody deserves hateful, personal abuse and death threats - and I do truly mean nobody - guys like Austin Healey, Robbie Savage Chris Sutton, Adrian Durham, Matt Dawson and Co make their careers on winding people up. They're fishing for these reactions, even the most violent ones, it's what Healey gets out of bed for, it's why he's employed by BT. His entire shtick is to go out of his way to provoke people, putting him in the advert alongside people who have gotten abuse purely for being born a certain colour or sex is just stupid and, frankly, offensive. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I've expressed my opinion on how the media's crusade against Internet abuse is misguided and missing the point and I stand by it, so I'm not really going to be a fan of BT Sport's new anti abuse adverts anyway. 

That said, making Austin Healey one of the faces of it and having him line up in the advert alongside black sports people, female athletes and pundits, etc is just tone deaf and moronic on an enormous level. 

Whilst I agree nobody deserves hateful, personal abuse and death threats - and I do truly mean nobody - guys like Austin Healey, Robbie Savage Chris Sutton, Adrian Durham, Matt Dawson and Co make their careers on winding people up. They're fishing for these reactions, even the most violent ones, it's what Healey gets out of bed for, it's why he's employed by BT. His entire shtick is to go out of his way to provoke people, putting him in the advert alongside people who have gotten abuse purely for being born a certain colour or sex is just stupid and, frankly, offensive. 

Completely agree.

9 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Actually quite pleased that Leicester Tigers don't have any representation. Enables a proper preseason and best players being available for the start of next season. 

Fair fvcks to you, I'd probably pretend I was happy as well if no Scarlets got in. Not that that would ever happen. 

50 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Fair fvcks to you, I'd probably pretend I was happy as well if no Scarlets got in. Not that that would ever happen. 

Not having Borthwick away with the Lions is the biggest win imo. Giving him a full summer with the squad can only be a good thing. 

1 minute ago, walkerleeds said:

Were any Tigers really in contention? Not having Ford or Genge were realistically ever going to go.

They definitely would have considered Ford, though I agree it wasn't likely. 

As I said, Bortwick was probably the most likely before they announced the coaching team. 

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Problem with analysing Lions squads is that there are usually so many injuries that players who just miss out end up joining eventually anyway.

Doubly so because it's against the Saffers.

I'd put considerable money on Josh Navidi getting minutes in one of the tests. 

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

England the most represented after finishing last in the 5N. Shambles. 

I'm a little surprised by Farrell and astounded by Daly, but I guess both are utility players who may come in very handy in what will be a bruising set of fixtures.

In my opinion (which doesn't count for much with no experience in rugby and being just a casual fan), there's probably arguments against 5 of the English players picked, but there doesn't look any names there that will let Gatland down, unless he goes insane overnight and starts Daly at full back of course.

Do you honestly think it's a shambles? If so, I'd be interested to know why. That's a genuine question by the way, I'm not looking for a joust. It's almost an even split between the nations, which I suppose is as 'Lions' as it could get.

Just to be clear, England were utterly terrible in the 6 nations. I'd be a fool trying to deny that. I just thought the balance looked alright in the squad. As I said though, I'm no expert.

Edited by Duquesne Whistle
Kept referring to Daly as Goode for some reason...

2 hours ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Do you honestly think it's a shambles?

I'm blatantly on the wind up mate don't mind me lol

I mean, there's a few going I wish weren't from both the blue and white camps (Ali Price, for example, is a straight up token Scotch pick) but it's not an awful squad. 

A lot will depend on who he actually picks. Genuinely concerned we'll see Faz starting at 12.

• Haha 1

James Ryan not being picked is a head scratcher. I also think Jonny May is unlucky not to have made the squad.

Eliot Daly is lucky to get the call, has to be the most overrated player going  - jack of all trades, master of none. Disagree with Jonny Hill's inclusion too, thought he had a very poor 6Ns. Seems like all brawn and no brains to me. 

I should also add that Josh Navidi is extremely unlucky to miss out imho. I think his qualities would have been useful in SA.

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm blatantly on the wind up mate don't mind me lol

I mean, there's a few going I wish weren't from both the blue and white camps (Ali Price, for example, is a straight up token Scotch pick) but it's not an awful squad. 

A lot will depend on who he actually picks. Genuinely concerned we'll see Faz starting at 12.

Fair play. You got me lol

I'd personally be surprised with Farrell starting at 12. That said, one thing I do know is that Gatland rarely gets his team selections very wrong in the big matches, whether for Wasps, Wales or the Lions over the years. He's not infallible of course, but you'd back him more often than not. I do think they can put a great XV out from that squad, the rest is down to WG and his coaches. I can't wait. SA so difficult to overcome at home though.

41 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

James Ryan not being picked is a head scratcher. I also think Jonny May is unlucky not to have made the squad.

Eliot Daly is lucky to get the call, has to be the most overrated player going  - jack of all trades, master of none. Disagree with Jonny Hill's inclusion too, thought he had a very poor 6Ns. Seems like all brawn and no brains to me. 

I should also add that Josh Navidi is extremely unlucky to miss out imho. I think his qualities would have been useful in SA.

That one is a real headscratcher. I personally wouldn't have him anywhere near the England squad, let alone the Lions squad. 

• Like 3

Not a good night for Leicester sport last night. Tigers lost 26-10 away at Sale. Put out a significantly weakened side away against a team that will be in the top four so the result makes sense. Clearly giving players a rest to prepare for the final. 

11 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Not a good night for Leicester sport last night. Tigers lost 26-10 away at Sale. Put out a significantly weakened side away against a team that will be in the top four so the result makes sense. Clearly giving players a rest to prepare for the final. 

All this sport is costing me a fortune. :D

£85 for Twickenham, £102 for Wembley and I’ve now got a ticket in the Tigers ballot for the Bristol game. 

• 2 weeks later...