Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finley Parsons

Leicester Tigers

Below is the club's statement in full...

Leicester Tigers have today announced the departure of Geordan Murphy from his role as Director of Rugby at the club.

After discussions with Murphy about his current contract, which was due to end at the conclusion of the 2020/21 season, it was decided that it would not be renewed and, by mutual consent, it was agreed that Murphy would leave the club with immediate effect.

Murphy joined Tigers as a teenager, making his senior debut in 1997, and went on to make 322 appearances in 16 seasons, including four years as club captain.

After retiring in 2013, having won eight Premiership and two European titles, Murphy moved into coaching and rose through the ranks as skills coach, backs coach, attack coach, head coach and director of rugby.

He is Leicester’s leading try-scorer and appearance holder in European rugby and is 17th on the club’s all-time tryscorers’ chart.

Speaking about his time at the club, the outgoing Director of Rugby said: “First, I want to thank my wife Aneka and my two boys, and our new addition on the way, for everything they have done for me and how they have continued to make me a better player, coach and person.

“As well as my family here in Leicester, and all of our friends, I want to thank my family and friends in Ireland for their support throughout my career at Tigers as a player and coach in the good and bad times.

“I have spent 23 great years at Leicester Tigers and forged great friendships with people throughout that entire period.

“I’m most proud of the respect I earned from my team-mates and colleagues, and I’m grateful to all of them for how they have helped me, supported me and shared in my time at this club.

“Winning has been the easy part. It is when things are not going well, when you are losing and having to get back up every day and put on a brave face, that you know who your friends are and, to all of those who supported me through those times, those are the friends I will have for life.

“I wish the club the very best for the future on and off the pitch, and say thank you to the supporters who have been a part of my life for more than 20 years.”

Tigers Chairman Peter Tom thanked Murphy for his contribution to the club, on and off the pitch, since 1997.

“I want to express, on behalf of everybody at Leicester Tigers, my sincere gratitude to Geordan for all that he has done for our club for more than two decades,” said Tom.

“His contribution of more than 23 years is unrivalled in the professional era and all of us had the privilege of watching Geordan play for Leicester Tigers before being afforded another privilege in working alongside such a passionate club man.

22 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Murphy, One of the best players & Servant that Tigers have ever had....

his Coaching era,was marred by alround poor Club politics & Lack of direction

Away from Murphs responsibiities....

You say that but when you watched them they looked badly coached and were lacking a proper game plan. I still feel that they shouldn't be fighting relegation with the players they have. I know it's not the best squad, but still better than a handful in the premiership. 

Edited by BenTheFox
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Borthwick and a 'handful of players and staff' won't be present for this weekend's game against Bath because they have to self-isolate. Games have been getting called off due to positive covid tests and they have been allocating 2 points to the teams who have called off due to positive tests and 4 to the other. It's a bit of a farce if you ask me because it would have serious implications come the end of the season. 

The young lad Steward at full back looks like being a great player.  The youngster coming on at scrum half was great too.  Nice  to see some academy lads making the grade after a few seasons without any really making an impact. 

Edited by MonmoreStef
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

41-24 bonus point win against Worcester today. Looks as though relegation may be scrapped this year anyway but looking nowhere near being a relegation threatened side. Look to be really turning a corner under Steve Borthwick. 

Definitely. The South African lads they've brought in look quality. Montoya is world class and looks a great signing already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paddy. said:

Definitely. The South African lads they've brought in look quality. Montoya is world class and looks a great signing already.

It's not easy on the eye but I see an identity now and they look much more organised and I'm happy for them to get the fabdanentals right first. The recruitment generally looks better. Van Wyk, Wiese, Montoya, Brink and Wigglesworth have all made a positive impact. 

On 06/02/2021 at 19:01, BenTheFox said:

It's not easy on the eye but I see an identity now and they look much more organised and I'm happy for them to get the fabdanentals right first. The recruitment generally looks better. Van Wyk, Wiese, Montoya, Brink and Wigglesworth have all made a positive impact. 

100%
Love the guy but Manu had been holding us back for years in who we could get in & how we played, the whole structure was designed around him. Now that he's gone we've been able to bring others in who were probably a litle out of our reach.
The SA have made a huge difference & as you say having Richard Wigglesworth just gives us that experiance for times like now with the 6N on & Ford/Youngs away we are much stronger & whilst Ford will always be missed we are coping better.
Thought we might struggle with Jordan Taufua leaving as he was a beast but again as you say Wiese going to step in no problem

Steve Borthwick & his coaching/fitness staff are a step up also

3 hours ago, BKLFox said:

100%
Love the guy but Manu had been holding us back for years

in who we could get in & how we played, the whole structure was designed around him. Now that he's gone we've been able to bring others in who were probably a litle out of our reach.
The SA have made a huge difference & as you say having Richard Wigglesworth just gives us that experiance for times like now with the 6N on & Ford/Youngs away we are much stronger & whilst Ford will always be missed we are coping better.
Thought we might struggle with Jordan Taufua leaving as he was a beast but again as you say Wiese going to step in no problem

Steve Borthwick & his coaching/fitness staff are a step up also

I'd felt the same for a while. As great as he was on his day, he wasn't worth the three good games he'd have a year. 

If Taufua had left in the summer I would have been disappointed, but having seen Wiese and Brink it isn't as great of a loss. 

Without doubt Borthwick is an upgrade on Murphy. It feels like he commands more respect and he seems to have sussed out pretty quickly those that aren't good enough. Ball in hand they do look a bit blunt and disjointed so there's still work to do, but overall I'm seeing improvement. 

• Like 2