Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finley Parsons

Leicester Tigers

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56763899

Some interesting rules being trialled in the Rainbow Cup (cup involving Pro 14 and SA teams). Not sure I agree with red card being a 20 minute sin bin before you can bring someone new on.....

Anyone see how the other trails went in NZ and Australia?

This happens in a lot of sports where the player is sent off but the team can replace them after a sin bin (e.g. oce hockey and handball). Feels strange in football but I think it can work in rugby as there are a lot of red cards for marginal things. One of those you could argue for/against.

9 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

This happens in a lot of sports where the player is sent off but the team can replace them after a sin bin (e.g. oce hockey and handball). Feels strange in football but I think it can work in rugby as there are a lot of red cards for marginal things. One of those you could argue for/against.

I think it works in ice hockey particularly with a smaller team as a permanent loss of a player is huge but in rugby going down to from 15 to 14 is adequate punishment even for the marginals. For me I'm thinking players could risk a red card offence knowing the punishment isnt as harsh now. Like you say the argument could be made either way, will be interesting to see the trails.

29 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I think it works in ice hockey particularly with a smaller team as a permanent loss of a player is huge but in rugby going down to from 15 to 14 is adequate punishment even for the marginals. For me I'm thinking players could risk a red card offence knowing the punishment isnt as harsh now. Like you say the argument could be made either way, will be interesting to see the trails.

Yes, I think that is the key thing. Tye team size.

And how many times do you see a red card in rugby and it makes little difference due to the large amount of players. However once a team is down to 12/13 then big gaps appear. Maybe they could introduce severity levels of offences. Some red cards remain as they are and some just punish the player but the team can replace after say 20 mins. Maybe also apply the 20 min rule (or 10 min rule) for second yellow cards. Again player is off for good (2 yellows being a red) but team can replace after 10/20 mins.

On 15/04/2021 at 17:48, Nalis said:

Not sure I agree with red card being a 20 minute sin bin before you can bring someone new on.....

I think I like this, really, in the context of increased red cards with all of the head contact laws.

I think maybe there should be offences like eye gouging or full on punching someone in the face or whatever that should see a team down to 14 for the whole game.

But there are so many red cards these days that are almost the result of an accident through slightly clumsy tackle technique or whatever that I think this is an interesting rule to try and mitigate and find the middle ground. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I think I like this, really, in the context of increased red cards with all of the head contact laws.

I think maybe there should be offences like eye gouging or full on punching someone in the face or whatever that should see a team down to 14 for the whole game.

But there are so many red cards these days that are almost the result of an accident through slightly clumsy tackle technique or whatever that I think this is an interesting rule to try and mitigate and find the middle ground. 

I see your point on this one. I completely understand prioritising player safety, but a red cards followed by a four game ban for a head collisions is very harsh.I understand that there have to be harsh sanctions in order to deal with the issue so for that reason I'm ok with red cards resulting in the team losing a man for the rest of the game. However, there's no way in my opinion that four game bans should be given for something that is often accidental and a bit clumsy. A red card and a one match ban is completely sufficient imo. 

39 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I see your point on this one. I completely understand prioritising player safety, but a red cards followed by a four game ban for a head collisions is very harsh.I understand that there have to be harsh sanctions in order to deal with the issue so for that reason I'm ok with red cards resulting in the team losing a man for the rest of the game. However, there's no way in my opinion that four game bans should be given for something that is often accidental and a bit clumsy. A red card and a one match ban is completely sufficient imo. 

Yeah, I'm on the fence. 

I keep thinking back to a cheap shot by Samu Kerevi on Leigh Halfpenny in an Autumn international as recently as 2018. Late on in a low scoring, kick-focused game where Halfpenny was a serious threat to Australia it was blatant, cynical and crude. It wasn't even given as a penalty, the ref judged he didn't have time to pull out of his charge down, the supposedly "biased" Jiffy agreed with the decision not to give it and yet it nearly ended 1/2ps career and put him out for months on months. If it had happened just six months later, Kerevi would have known that nailing him the way he did would have resulted in an instant red card and a significant ban and it's a lot more likely that Leigh Halfpenny gets out of that game unscathed. 

That's the point, it's about going in extremely hard with the laws in order to brute force players in to changing their attitudes, changing their approaches and considering consequences before hitting. World Rugby knew and know full well that there'd be casualties along the way, players sent off for marginal, accidental incidents that probably didn't cause a great deal of damage. Scrapes and borderline near misses resulting in red cards and ruining high profile rugby matches on technicalities. They knew this would happen, but the belief is that it's better to ruin the odd game of rugby while players adjust and adapt than it is to ruin someone's life because they've taken too many devastating shots to the head.

I find it hard to argue with that really. I agree it's frustrating and I hope, over time, a little bit more common sense and a bit more tolerance does creep back in to the laws but I do understand for now why they've gone so hard-line and I think spoiling the odd game as a spectacle here and there is price worth paying if, long term, we end up with a sport that can actually survive the new era of concussion awareness and be safer and sustainable for generations to come.

Edit:

Someone's even done a video of Halfpenny repeatedly getting whacked in the head. His tackle technique is one thing but there's clips there where Australia, England (almost twice in one play, Splashton is an absolute disgraceful cvnt of a human being) and New Zealand would have had red cards for nailing him in the head under current protocol and you couldn't argue any of the three would be namby, pamby "soft" cards.

Edited by Finnegan

Tickets on sale for the final on Rugby England. 

£45 to £75, although I couldn’t find any at £45. 

Friday 21st May 8pm at Twickenham. Normally I wouldn’t be hesitating and would stay over for the main event the next day, but in the current climate I’m not so sure. 

Only watched the second half but from what I saw you deserved the win. 

Decent discipline from you guys and some well worked tries. 

Cooney going off was key for us though it was just unfortunate rather than malicious from Nadolo so the correct call not to produce a card.

Good luck in the final!