Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

1 hour ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Flight back from Amsterdam ? I bet he wasn’t the only one  :ph34r:

Hahaha if you decide to go to Amsterdam on the weekend pre Xmas you can’t expect anything less than the dregs of British society. But yeh point taken, the tutting and exhaling isn’t needed, you’re all getting on the plane. 

On 15/12/2023 at 19:23, kenny said:

It's almost impossible to cancel an appointment once it's made.

I suspect it's all part of the ethos of the NHS being free at point of use, there isn't the culture of money collection like there is when you use foreign hospitals.

I suspect that charging for an appointment would concentrate the mind rather more than passive agressive messages about the cost to the NHS as a whole .it seems likely that people value services more when they are required to pay and miss out if they ignore arrangements made free of charge for their treatment . Make provision for those who are unable or cannot afford to pay and move towards a charge eg for GP appointments . The free at the point of use model of 1948 at the formation of the NHS is hardly relevant today 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, surrifox said:

I suspect that charging for an appointment would concentrate the mind rather more than passive agressive messages about the cost to the NHS as a whole .it seems likely that people value services more when they are required to pay and miss out if they ignore arrangements made free of charge for their treatment . Make provision for those who are unable or cannot afford to pay and move towards a charge eg for GP appointments . The free at the point of use model of 1948 at the formation of the NHS is hardly relevant today 

While this is a fair comment, beware the slippery slope that leads to people not being treated due to their inability to pay - or being treated and then being saddled with a lifetime of debt.

You do have to watch out for the "free rider" and "tragedy of the commons" problems in a system like the NHS, but any reform has to be done with the utmost care and maintaining a baseline of help for everyone - that is not predicated on their ability to pay, either now or later.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

While this is a fair comment, beware the slippery slope that leads to people not being treated due to their inability to pay - or being treated and then being saddled with a lifetime of debt.

You do have to watch out for the "free rider" and "tragedy of the commons" problems in a system like the NHS, but any reform has to be done with the utmost care and maintaining a baseline of help for everyone - that is not predicated on their ability to pay, either now or later.

100% agree . The opinion isn’t even supported by two of my kids who work in health care provision . But with the ever increasing funding demands of the NHS ( which are never enough)  there is surely scope to revisit the model 

13 minutes ago, surrifox said:

100% agree . The opinion isn’t even supported by two of my kids who work in health care provision . But with the ever increasing funding demands of the NHS ( which are never enough)  there is surely scope to revisit the model 

The whole discussion around "NHS funding" tends to be rather opaque and subjective - one person might say funding demands are never enough, another might say that there is a pretty clear difference between meeting funding demands and meeting the necessary amounts for a good baseline of care (which at the moment it might be argued the current government funding model is not).

It's a tricky discussion to have.

Our surgery got taken over by a trust. Everything has gone to shit. We had wonderful docs, appointments, no issues with prescriptions - now it’s a fight for everything. This is all down to people profiteering from the practice. This has to stop. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, surrifox said:

I suspect that charging for an appointment would concentrate the mind rather more than passive agressive messages about the cost to the NHS as a whole .it seems likely that people value services more when they are required to pay and miss out if they ignore arrangements made free of charge for their treatment .

With a growing number of people, I think it is down to an increasing sense of entitlement and expectation, yet also an unknowing and knowing contempt, along with ambivalence, for health and social services, and those who deliver these.

I worked for adult social care for many years and far too often we would turn up for pre arranged appointments at folks homes, only to get no answer at the door.

We would have people just brush it off with 'I forgot'. We would have them say you should have reminded me.

We even started reminding folk on the morning of their appointment and still  they would not be in.

Problem was, there was no consequence to them. They would be offered another appointment - several times. Eventually, we would close their case only for them to contact us again and we were obliged to see them.

And don't get me started on trying to get them to come to us......

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Christmas - when Atheists across the country give lots of money to rich people to celebrate something they don't believe in, whilst lying to their kids that it was the work of a magic man from frosty climes.

Stop

The

Sleighs

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Christmas - when Atheists across the country give lots of money to rich people to celebrate something they don't believe in, whilst lying to their kids that it was the work of a magic man from frosty climes.

So who is eating my mince pie and swigging a shot of single malt?

Fvck Xmas, with its enforced merriment and close familial proximity. Fvck those who think it’s fine to completely ignore me for 12 months of the year and then expect me to smile at them and say nice things on a video chat. Fvck mobile phones and all the other screens that are so more absorbing than just engaging in a conversation or sharing the moment. And fvck those who think everyone needs to know how ****ing wonderful their lives were today and how gifted their stocking was.

Fvck Xmas up the fvcking arse.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Fvck Xmas, with its enforced merriment and close familial proximity. Fvck those who think it’s fine to completely ignore me for 12 months of the year and then expect me to smile at them and say nice things on a video chat. Fvck mobile phones and all the other screens that are so more absorbing than just engaging in a conversation or sharing the moment. And fvck those who think everyone needs to know how ****ing wonderful their lives were today and how gifted their stocking was.

We live in an Instagram and Facebook culture where people post every minute of their lives and we have technology at our finger tips where people are so engrossed and can barely look up from their phone/ipad screen. Where people want to share every detail of their lives or comment on others.

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Go on,  tell us how you really feel  mate lol

Either way, hope you have a nice day like any other!

Battle through brave little soldier!

50 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I'm getting really bored with the knocking and over-analysis that refs get.

I can't help but feel it's all part of the expectation overdrive that's been ramped up in society. We all seem to expect perfection and excellence and yet accept bluster and BS from those clearly falling short as long as they're a bit of a lad like Johnson.

Reffing errors were always part and parcel of the game, they were the things we'd discuss in pubs after the match and before the next one. The standard of refereeing hasn't changed, the expectations and constant shifting of sands beneath them has.

And what does all the griping achieve? Nothing, except to dissuade competent individuals from bothering to do it. VAR can get in the bin - and so can everyone carping about the standard of refs. I love a shockingly bad decision. I love it when a ref misses something 5,000 people think they all saw as clear as day.

The hypocrisy of a lot of supporters on the matter can get in the bin, yeah. Either you accept the faults of refs, or you do the same with VAR. Griping about both is just Perfect Solution Fallacy entitlement. And there's similar hypocrisy in other areas too- as you said, there are folks that will accept utter incompetence from Johnson while skewering Starmer to the wall for the slightest misstep, and vice versa.

• Like 1

I'm getting really bored with the knocking and over-analysis that refs get.

I can't help but feel it's all part of the expectation overdrive that's been ramped up in society. We all seem to expect perfection and excellence and yet accept bluster and BS from those clearly falling short as long as they're a bit of a lad like Johnson.

Reffing errors were always part and parcel of the game, they were the things we'd discuss in pubs after the match and before the next one. The standard of refereeing hasn't changed, the expectations and constant shifting of sands beneath them has.

And what does all the griping achieve? Nothing, except to dissuade competent individuals from bothering to do it. VAR can get in the bin - and so can everyone carping about the standard of refs. I love a shockingly bad decision. I love it when a ref misses something 5,000 people think they all saw as clear as day.

the main issue of course is the over analysis tends to come when a decision goes against your preferred team. Very few fans over analyze a ref when their team won and got the rub of the green.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

The hypocrisy of a lot of supporters on the matter can get in the bin, yeah. Either you accept the faults of refs, or you do the same with VAR. Griping about both is just Perfect Solution Fallacy entitlement. And there's similar hypocrisy in other areas too- as you said, there are folks that will accept utter incompetence from Johnson while skewering Starmer to the wall for the slightest misstep, and vice versa.

What is VAR if not presented as a perfect solution?