Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

8 minutes ago, BlueBrett said:

Not the first time I've been erroneously accused of being a Tory on here.

I don't vote for any of the *****. 

Interesting that you view it as an “accusation”. If it’s happened on a number of occasions I’m guessing that it must be something to do with the content of your posts rather than a childhood love of the Smurfs 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyhow, unpopular opinion out in the world, not sure about here:

Offshoots of spaceflight programs are more responsible for advances that make life better for our species long term than at least half of the projects done solely on Earth to "help people" short term, and should be funded far more than they are.

8 minutes ago, bovril said:

Is it rated though? Never met anybody who likes it. Though I don't live in Islington with the latte-sipping, tofu-munching wokerati (just trying to fit in with the last few posts)

It is by some. They are dark forces working in the shadows and slowly taking over the planet 

10 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I figured.

Think that depends on the subject being studied and whatever the current economic climate is.

Yes if you want to be a doctor, solicitor and maybe a handful of other careers a degree is paramount, but for a large proportion it isn't, and amortise £50K of debt over your working life in an average paid job, is just dumb. 

Guest BlueBrett
21 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Interesting that you view it as an “accusation”. If it’s happened on a number of occasions I’m guessing that it must be something to do with the content of your posts rather than a childhood love of the Smurfs 

I think it's because people have this blinkered partisan mindset that means anyone who calls out the bullshit of the team they support must only be doing so because they are an agent of the enemy. It's a symptom of the times.

Edited by BlueBrett

11 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Yes if you want to be a doctor, solicitor and maybe a handful of other careers a degree is paramount, but for a large proportion it isn't, and amortise £50K of debt over your working life in an average paid job, is just dumb. 

You don't need a Uni degree for 95% of jobs probably. Operations business development technical manager at a 200 person family firm operating across the South West of England. No need to spend 3 years at Strathclyde Uni to do that

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

A University education is becoming more and more invalid  

it's definitely becoming more and more elitist that's for sure. There is a large part of the population that is being outpriced in the aspiration to go to university. 

For what it's worth... my unpopular opinion is that not everyone SHOULD have the option to go to university.   It should be defined by people who have the right level of academic attainment. 

no-one should be able to access a university course having achieved a "D" at A Level. 

significantly reduce the numbers who go, but then make it free.  

It doesn't stop access to higher education through "technical colleges" (as they were once called) but all those Tech's that turned into universities need to go in the bin. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

There certainly needs to be more options available to people leaving school - as said above, higher education doesn't necessarily mean simply going to university.

7 minutes ago, BlueBrett said:

I think it's because people have this blinkered partisan mindset that means anyone who calls out the bullshit of the team they support must only be doing so because they are an agent of the enemy. It's a symptom of the times.

That's very true. All tribal.

And then you have the dedicated individualists who call out "everyone"...but then don't necessarily consider the necessity of some semblance of unity in human interaction, especially to adapt to a changing world - and how much the actions of other people contribute to their lives even as they promote their own "independence" from "groupthink".

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

it's definitely becoming more and more elitist that's for sure. There is a large part of the population that is being outpriced in the aspiration to go to university. 

For what it's worth... my unpopular opinion is that not everyone SHOULD have the option to go to university.   It should be defined by people who have the right level of academic attainment. 

no-one should be able to access a university course having achieved a "D" at A Level. 

significantly reduce the numbers who go, but then make it free.  

It doesn't stop access to higher education through "technical colleges" (as they were once called) but all those Tech's that turned into universities need to go in the bin. 

Good point that. You see some of these shakedown uni courses run by private companies rinsing kids for money, surely there needs to be safe guards against it. Even masters courses at 'private' uni's preying on those who are thinking of a second career or upskilling.

58 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

I know I probably shouldn't admit this but I'm bored of all the Israel/Palestine stuff on the news. 

I'm bored of all the miserable, divisive and disappointing news.

I'd really like to hear a decent run of uplifting, positive stuff. It seems like we've had nothing but shit to deal with for years.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dr The Singh said:

Not sure but it makes sense he did sing a few songs about 'gold digging' bitches.

Sounds like me at every karaoke. 

The trials of being sexy and having a three figure income I guess. 

• Haha 1

On 30/11/2023 at 13:35, grobyfox1990 said:

Good point that. You see some of these shakedown uni courses run by private companies rinsing kids for money, surely there needs to be safe guards against it. Even masters courses at 'private' uni's preying on those who are thinking of a second career or upskilling.

I do talk of this "slightly" from experience.  My Step Brother got a D at A level, (failed his other two A Levels) - Got into Uni.  Failed his first year, so did a re-sit of his first year, in year two.  failed that, so his university let him swap to a new course.... he in year three, he did his third first year of university and guess what... failed that as well and finally got kicked out.... but he still had 3 years of student debt and no degree to show for it... 

now, I realise he isn't a typical case, as he is a massive waster and 15 years later, still hasn't had a job or worked a day in his life... 

but he should have never got anywhere near a university course in the first place. 

They are no longer places of education for those capable of stretching further.  They are commercial businesses who want to drive income regardless of whether it's right to do so or not. It's the only way they survive.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

I do talk of this "slightly" from experience.  My Step Brother got a D at A level, (failed his other two A Levels) - Got into Uni.  Failed his first year, so did a re-sit of his first year, in year two.  failed that, so his university let him swap to a new course.... he in year three, he did his third first year of university and guess what... failed that as well and finally got kicked out.... but he still had 3 years of student debt and no degree to show for it... 

now, I realise he isn't a typical case, as he is a massive waster and 15 years later, still hasn't had a job or worked a day in his life... 

but he should have never got anywhere near a university course in the first place. 

They are no longer places of education for those capable of stretching further.  They are commercial businesses who want to drive income regardless of whether it's right to do so or not. It's the only way they survive.

Sorry to hear that, It's not nice to see a family member go through that, hope he is OK most importantly.

It's another case study to show how those preying Uni's should be at the mercy of huge class action mis-selling lawsuits. Your brother clearly wasn't in a position to be making these decisions in late teens/early 20s and should have had independent professional advice