Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

17 hours ago, Daggers said:

I'm getting really bored with the knocking and over-analysis that refs get.

I can't help but feel it's all part of the expectation overdrive that's been ramped up in society. We all seem to expect perfection and excellence and yet accept bluster and BS from those clearly falling short as long as they're a bit of a lad like Johnson.

Reffing errors were always part and parcel of the game, they were the things we'd discuss in pubs after the match and before the next one. The standard of refereeing hasn't changed, the expectations and constant shifting of sands beneath them has.

And what does all the griping achieve? Nothing, except to dissuade competent individuals from bothering to do it. VAR can get in the bin - and so can everyone carping about the standard of refs. I love a shockingly bad decision. I love it when a ref misses something 5,000 people think they all saw as clear as day.

Absolutely this and I've posted about this topic too much it's boring. We demand 100% from referees, but not of players or the team. When a referee misses something now it's a clear agenda by that ref, or the FA, or the Premier League, UEFA blah blah.

The fans before a game who post "oh well we're fvekced" when they see who the ref is. Fans on this forum bleating on about referees being crap or missing decisions. It happens, it's infuriating and it's crap sometimes (and sometimes goes for us) but it's a game which can take place at breakneck pace and referees/linos get one look at it. Sometimes they'll get it wrong cos they're human. We like football because they're human. Can't have it both ways.

And on VAR, not even the NFL/College Football is dumb enough to VAR subjective decisions (even with their one-year experiment doing so a few yrs ago). NFL replays are factual (TD, caught/dropped pass, knee down) Holding, pass interference and other foul-related plays aren't reviewable.

3 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I have no idea what any of this means. We’re in the midst of one of the most exciting prem seasons in years, upsets  every weekend, one of the most chaotic matches for a long time on nyd. If you’re not entertained by this or think it’s mediocre/controlled, you likely aren’t watching the prem this year 

To be a complete hypocrite with the above, the best game I've watched this year by a country mile was Spurs-Chelsea. As a casual these days who couldn't give a shit about anything other than our games and big matchups now, that was a chaotic, brilliant, entertaining match.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Absolutely this and I've posted about this topic too much it's boring. We demand 100% from referees, but not of players or the team. When a referee misses something now it's a clear agenda by that ref, or the FA, or the Premier League, UEFA blah blah.

The fans before a game who post "oh well we're fvekced" when they see who the ref is. Fans on this forum bleating on about referees being crap or missing decisions. It happens, it's infuriating and it's crap sometimes (and sometimes goes for us) but it's a game which can take place at breakneck pace and referees/linos get one look at it. Sometimes they'll get it wrong cos they're human. We like football because they're human. Can't have it both ways.

And on VAR, not even the NFL/College Football is dumb enough to VAR subjective decisions (even with their one-year experiment doing so a few yrs ago). NFL replays are factual (TD, caught/dropped pass, knee down) Holding, pass interference and other foul-related plays aren't reviewable.

To be a complete hypocrite with the above, the best game I've watched this year by a country mile was Spurs-Chelsea. As a casual these days who couldn't give a shit about anything other than our games and big matchups now, that was a chaotic, brilliant, entertaining match.

Good post, hard to argue with much of that so fair enough. I do not follow NFL but it is interesting what you say about their 'VAR' - what would our version be? Offsides and goals only? So pens and red cards would have to stay with the on field decision?

I loved Spurs v Chelsea as well.

As I said I like VAR so I am biased, but I cannot believe some of the comments you read here and on social media about VAR 'sanitising the prem' 'the prem is so boring' etc etc. It's akin to those who say Guardiola and Klopp produce boring football. Imagine these people do not watch the prem and go on Facebook for their news. This season has been fantastic thus far.

Been chuckling today about the post above which says a 9-0 away win won't happen anymore because of VAR in the same season a 8-0 away win did happen, which prompted me to watch the YouTube highlights. How good were Newcastle and how bad were Sheff U that day. Could have been about 20.

Insane how much form changes in the PL, Newcastle cannot buy a win right now

I know Brodgers was a bad egg, I know relegation was entirely avoidable, I know we should not even be in this league. And apparently, Russell Martin is the devil incarnate.

1) So what?

2) Please stop banging on about it all, it starts to look like you can't let go.

8 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I know Brodgers was a bad egg, I know relegation was entirely avoidable, I know we should not even be in this league. And apparently, Russell Martin is the devil incarnate.

1) So what?

2) Please stop banging on about it all, it starts to look like you can't let go.

It's an Internet forum. It can be very repetitive but it's a way to let off steam and pass the time. It's like a pub conversation.

I doubt people go about their daily life fuming about Brendan Rodgers.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, bovril said:

It's an Internet forum. It can be very repetitive but it's a way to let off steam and pass the time. It's like a pub conversation.

I wish I shared your optimism - I think some folk need to always have something to fume about, be it BR or anything else real or imagined.

And, to use your argument back at you, it's an internet forum, inviting me to express an unpopular opinion. Apologies if it's the wrong one.

8 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I wish I shared your optimism - I think some folk need to always have something to fume about, be it BR or anything else real or imagined.

And, to use your argument back at you, it's an internet forum, inviting me to express an unpopular opinion. Apologies if it's the wrong one.

Of course. But if I'm not confusing you with someone else you seem to be a bit of a post-policer, which I'd say is less healthy than going on about the same football topics repetitively. But as you say it's a free forum, so you just do you babes :thumbup:

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Been chuckling today about the post above which says a 9-0 away win won't happen anymore because of VAR in the same season a 8-0 away win did happen, which prompted me to watch the YouTube highlights. How good were Newcastle and how bad were Sheff U that day. Could have been about 20.

Insane how much form changes in the PL, Newcastle cannot buy a win right now

Our 9-0 win was in a VAR season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bovril said:

Of course. But if I'm not confusing you with someone else you seem to be a bit of a post-policer, which I'd say is less healthy than going on about the same football topics repetitively. But as you say it's a free forum, so you just do you babes :thumbup:

I don't post all that much, so I post nothing far more than I do anything else. But thanks for making it personal, there's really no need.

34 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

1) So what?

image.png.11a8f5f98c51087085e34a7f11d16b01.png

Edited by MPH

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Speak for yourself! :D 

I can steer almost any conversation into how much a nob'ed Rodgers is.

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Every Time, I go for a poo, that's all I think of.:matty:

6 hours ago, Daggers said:

Darts isn't a sport.

Also, ...

image.gif.06225bd95bfdb5018cd5a9974bafb5d7.gif

The wife wanted to know what I’m doing tomorrow as I drove her home from work. 

We got home. She could answer any question about a fat, clearly mid 20s darts player - she couldn’t remember a single thing I’d said. 

I hate darts more now than I did this morning. 

Edited by Daggers

41 minutes ago, Livid said:

Darts looks a good night out but I have absolutely no interest in watching it on TV. 

That is an unpopular opinion. 

I'd much rather watch it on TV at home than on TV at the back of a room full of pissed up chavs. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

At the risk of sounding like Joey Barton you can't criticise though, or be labelled as a women hater and anti disability. 

I know what you mean.

But one does wonder if she'd still be successful as she is if she didn't have a disability?..

(Don't have anything against her personally, mind.)

22 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Rosie James isn't funny one bit.

That's not an unpopular opinion, in my opinion.

I've just watched some quiz show on TV and she is painful to watch.

Controversial, but like @Wymsey, I think that without her disability, she wouldn't be where she is now in terms of celebrity status.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 2