Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Post-Match Thread - Leicester 2-0 Liverpool (EFL Cup)

48 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Chilly did the most brain dead thing i've ever seen yesterday, since Schlupp graced the pitch for us.

Cleverly ran back anticipating a cross, then didn't have the awareness to know he had acres of space to guide a header back to Hamer or let the ball run for a goal kick. So just panicked, tried to head it away and ended up gifting them possession on the edge of our box haha.

I expect these kind of errors from young lads getting to grips with the game and don't mind them making them as long as they're given the chance to go out again and improve. If they are given that chance and continue to make the same errors then you can start to question if they're going to cut it.

Top notch block to prevent the Ox scoring and looked like one of a few players that had the confidence/ability to try and play football when it actually came to him.

Yeah that was one that stood out, they were all like it though. Gray would like like Ronaldo one moment and then do something stupid. They all get a pass as they are young and the older guys were the same. So it's about ring rust and not having played as a unit much.

Just now, Babylon said:

Yeah that was one that stood out, they were all like it though. Gray would like like Ronaldo one moment and then do something stupid. They all get a pass as they are young and the older guys were the same. So it's about ring rust and not having played as a unit much.

Aye, I'm sure Iborra doesn't just usually boot the ball out of play like he did a couple of times first half as well. Leicester City - the place where football goes to die.

If anyone can enlighten me to the point of Ulloa's new contract then that would be much appreciated, offers nothing.

Thought Iborra was surprisingly awful positionally at times, would constantly get dragged towards the ball and leave Wijnaldum free behind him. Doesn't look like he is used to playing in a 2 at all.

Dragovic looks a solid option, like the fact he is different to our other cb options too.

Shinji has to be close to first name on team sheet Saturday. What a man!

25 minutes ago, Vocey said:

If anyone can enlighten me to the point of Ulloa's new contract then that would be much appreciated, offers nothing.

Thought Iborra was surprisingly awful positionally at times, would constantly get dragged towards the ball and leave Wijnaldum free behind him. Doesn't look like he is used to playing in a 2 at all.

Dragovic looks a solid option, like the fact he is different to our other cb options too.

Shinji has to be close to first name on team sheet Saturday. What a man!

I can't understand ulloa signing a new contract Tbf.i don't think he touched the ball in the first half, and to knock himself out trying to head the ball was bizarre. IMO he should not even be on the bench. 

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

Oh right, what you planning for then. Take every result as it comes. We were a makeshift team last night and we beat a team with the likes of coutinho in it

I don't think you can look at results only as an indication of how the team is doing.

Losing games in a row is never acceptable but its a lot easier to take if you've played well and been unlucky,  - signs are that the team is set up and your luck just needs to change.

Win a couple of flukey games in a row after being played off the park and despite being happy with the points you have to question why you were so outplayed and how can you remedy it.

Looking only at results is extremely short-term. Performances DO matter and we were gash last night, second best in every dept except finishing.

30 minutes ago, Johnthefoxrayner said:

I can't understand ulloa signing a new contract Tbf.i don't think he touched the ball in the first half, and to knock himself out trying to head the ball was bizarre. IMO he should not even be on the bench. 

Was the first header he won all game, think his body went into shock!

19 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I don't think you can look at results only as an indication of how the team is doing.

Losing games in a row is never acceptable but its a lot easier to take if you've played well and been unlucky,  - signs are that the team is set up and your luck just needs to change.

Win a couple of flukey games in a row after being played off the park and despite being happy with the points you have to question why you were so outplayed and how can you remedy it.

Looking only at results is extremely short-term. Performances DO matter and we were gash last night, second best in every dept except finishing.

Which is the most important thing in football. Win every single game 1 nil and you win the league, simple as that.

13 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Which is the most important thing in football. Win every single game 1 nil and you win the league, simple as that.

Yes but the reality is you'll never win every game 1-0 being second best all over the field like we were yest

Play like that every week and we'll be relegated

1 hour ago, Vocey said:

Said at the time, only thing it can possibly be is the manager just trying to be seen to be looking out for the players and wanting to keep popular players around the club. We did the same for Wasyl when we knew he offered little but being a positive influence around the club. All in the name of spirit I would think, because he's not going to get a sniff in the league.

Like most, I thought the only solidly impressive outfield performances came from Morgan, Dragovic and Okazaki. But guys who don't play week-in week-out are bound to look rusty. At one extreme you've got Ulloa who wasn't particularly promising, and the fear is that he's one of those players who's passed his sell-by date early. At the other you've got Chilwell and Gray who made mistakes but also looked the part for much of the second half.

Ndidi put himself about a great deal. He covered the pitch, did the work of more than one man and consequently, considering how tight things were, made errors because he was committing himself where others weren't. You've got to appreciate the work-rate and suspect that he'd make less mistakes if things depended on his blood and toil a little less.

And I agree with the criticisms about Amartey's positional sense but his distribution down the line was good and he improved as the game wore on. It's worth noting that there was criticism on Saturday about Simpson playing too centrally and causing Mahrez to get pinned back in the RB position. So it's not necessarily Amartey's failing there.

Albrighton and Iborra had truly bizarre games. Slimani looked useful, if a bit erratic, when he was finally allowed to explore all aspects of being a CF, rather than just making the long ball stick. You could say the same for Ulloa, I suppose, but the truth is that his injury got Shakespeare out of jail. The two target men selection was always wrong and should, I thought, have been switched in the early stages.

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Said at the time, only thing it can possibly be is the manager just trying to be seen to be looking out for the players and wanting to keep popular players around the club. We did the same for Wasyl when we knew he offered little but being a positive influence around the club. All in the name of spirit I would think, because he's not going to get a sniff in the league.

He was a good signing for us at the time, of course. Top scorer in his first year and crucial to survival in spite of a few lacklustre periods of form in an ever-changing strikeforce which lived off scraps. The next year there was a genuine question mark for the first half of the season as to whether he or Okazaki was our 'ten', and he scored some of the most vital goals in our history. So perhaps there is room for sentiment in football after all (you could argue that his hissy fit last year should have put paid to that), or perhaps he's there because Slimani will be sold as and when the right offer comes in, and Leo's much cheaper.

He's out of confidence and match sharpness. I hope he's not one of those footballers who just decline at 30/31 and never recapture form. The only caveat I'd add is that the two target men strikeforce hasn't been kind to either Ulloa or Slimani. The only aspect of their game we were seeing, without any meaningful bridge between midfield and attack, was their inability to hold the ball up. It was very poor, but not in the most helpful of circumstances.

Anyway, I groan when I see him in the side at the moment, but I wouldn't write him off entirely at 31. Oddly, I thought we might have loaned him out for a few months once it became clear that Slimani would be with us till January, just so he was sharper for the second half of the campaign. Looking at him last night, he might need something like that.

People slagging off Shakespeares 442 when we've just beat Liverpool with it whilst playing with 10 men (Leo). Give it a rest yeah?

Second half is what it looks like when it's working and I'd much prefer to play that way if it brings us clear chances to score and results.

I can only assume Leo's involvement is for morale in a 'less important' game. Chill out. He's not going to get near the league squad and he might only get a couple more cup appearances until we see the end of him (the new contract will allow us to sell for a decent price).

Whilst the first half was poor, we've seen them before. Two halves of football and all that? People are acting like they've never seen a team have a poor half them a good half.

Considering our start to the season fixture wise, injury wise and recruitment wise (Silva/Drinkwater) I think it's bang out of order to be having a go at Shakespeare after we just beat Liverpool 2-0 in the cup, regardless of performance. We were playing with rusty squad players too you know.

32 minutes ago, WilmslowFox said:

is it possible ulloa feigned injury because he knew he was about to be substituted anyway?  surely he's 5th or even 6th choice now.

This is what I thought at first. I think he was aware how bad he was playing and used it as an excuse to come off rather than be hauled off by Shakespeare, which I think would have happened imminently anyway. He's a big guy, but looked short of fitness and tired - another one who was clearly off the pace of the game. I mean he genuinely didn't look like he wanted to be out there at times.

At the end of the day whether he feigned it or not, thank god he was replaced. Had an absolute stinker.

7 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Slimani's goal was sensational. There's no other word for it.

Why doesn't Gray hardly ever pass?

You can see why Liverpool didn't want to sell Coutinho. What a player. Taking him off at half time made the difference.

Amartey...I'm not even gonna bother.

He just is not a natural right back. Kept trying to come inside leaving too much space for Robertson. But when he did face up in the second half he was far, far better. Don't recall Robertson having any sort of impact in the second half and he kept Woodburn quiet.

His best performances have come in central midfield. That, in my eyes, is his best position but he's currently down the pecking order. Behind Iborra, Ndidi and James (Silva will go ahead of him too).

Well I have no idea how we weren't 5 or 6 down at half time. Apart from the two goals we were beyond awful. Lucky in the first half. What on earth was Shakey thinking with Ulloa and Slim up top?!

Thought Iborra looked different gravy at times and then slightly dodgy as he's never played in a 4-4-****ing-2 before.

A midfield trio of Him, Silva and Ndidi would be very nice indeed.

Gray once again not taking his chance in my opinion.

Chilwell impressed.

Dragovic clearly has potential to partner Maguire.

We still need a right back for the 6th transfer window in a row.

39 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Yes but the reality is you'll never win every game 1-0 being second best all over the field like we were yest

Play like that every week and we'll be relegated

Second best apart from the bit that matters....scoring. Lasts nights game was almost typical leicester. 30-70 possession, 8-21 shots (although we had 5 shots on target and they had 3 which says to me that for all their possesion they're not very clinical which is what the prem is all about) etc. But the only stat that's important is the 2-0 bit.

59 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

He just is not a natural right back. Kept trying to come inside leaving too much space for Robertson. But when he did face up in the second half he was far, far better. Don't recall Robertson having any sort of impact in the second half and he kept Woodburn quiet.

His best performances have come in central midfield. That, in my eyes, is his best position but he's currently down the pecking order. Behind Iborra, Ndidi and James (Silva will go ahead of him too).

And behind King too.

People seem to still not realise that our right back generally tucks in. Whenever Simpson breaks out and closes down, we are in genuine trouble. See e.g. the Man U game.

Tucking in is usually not a problem if we are well organised, but we were frankly all over the place.

57 minutes ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

Thought Iborra looked different gravy at times and then slightly dodgy as he's never played in a 4-4-****ing-2 before.

Chilwell impressed.

I really tried to spy what Iborra brought to the team other than big physique. Maybe he reads the game OK, but he was slower than Morgan, misplaced countless passes, hardly went forward in support and made a handful of mistimed challenges which luckily didn't get punished. So he made a professional foul near the end... Any unsporting sod can do that.

I'll put his performance down to lack of match fitness, his first competitive game in this team and getting to grips with English football (whatever that means).

But yesterday, he was frankly calamitous.

19 minutes ago, shen said:

And behind King too.

People seem to still not realise that our right back generally tucks in. Whenever Simpson breaks out and closes down, we are in genuine trouble. See e.g. the Man U game.

Tucking in is usually not a problem if we are well organised, but we were frankly all over the place.

From what I saw, Marc was playing 10-15 yard deeper than he usually does (when he is playing on the right), can't help but agree that Simpson tucking in is costing his winger a lot of yards going forward.

The same happens with mahrez. Marc and riyad are two very different players, but both struggled with the same problem, they are too deep to start an attack effectively.

2 hours ago, AKCJ said:

I could see what he was doing, he was obviously told to watch their wide player in the front three and not to let him get inbetween him and Wes... problem was to stop that he went and stood right next to Wes. I think he's got a bit of talent, he's better on the ball than people give him credit for. But I think last night just highlighted that his brain power might not be up to the job sometimes. He wasn't helped with MA not watching the full back after Amartey tucked in to cover the other striker.

Just now, Babylon said:

I could see what he was doing, he was obviously told to watch their wide player in the front three and not to let him get inbetween him and Wes... problem was to stop that he went and stood right next to Wes. I think he's got a bit of talent, he's better on the ball than people give him credit for. But I think last night just highlighted that his brain power might not be up to the job sometimes. 

Yeah he took Shakespeare's advice too literally. Albrighton didn't help either, he had a terrible first half.

Archived