Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Post-Match Thread - Leicester 2-0 Liverpool (EFL Cup)

4 hours ago, manders86 said:

Well we will take that! 

First half total garbage. Big part of that down to the manager for me.. No outlet having slim and ulloa (who shouldn't be anyone near the squad) playing together.

Shinji turned the game linked up the play and was superb. Thought Gray played well tonight as did Chilwell and Dragovic..  big Wes was key especially in the first half.

All in all after the dross of the first half I can't quite believe we've won that! 

I'd go 4-3-3 on Saturday as I think the best form of defence will be attack against them.

Schmeichal

Simpson

Maguire

Morgan

Chilwell

Ndidi

Iborra

James

Gray 

Vardy

Mahrez

No shinji :ph34r:

1st half was beyond dire.

Shinji lit the fires second half, and has to start on Saturday alongside Vardy (assuming he's fit). He just brings so much extra energy to the side.

I though Dragovic did well tonight, did everything simple and no-nonsense, and could work well with Maguire in the future.

Slimani's finish was excellent, and his workrate seems much better this season, but his first touch can be awful at times.

Did my eyes deceive me? Did Gray put in a cross near the end of the game??!!! and here I was thinking he didn't know how to!

Makes a change from the "cut in on right and shoot" that seems to be his only thought when getting on the ball. He needs to do more crossing and variations  if he wants more game time. I like the lad, but he has to be less predictable.

Iborra seems to be strong and combative, would like to see more of him asap.

Disappointments tonight?

I still think Chilwell makes too many errors, and gets caught out of position too much.

Ndidi wins the ball back well, only to give it away again straight away at the minute. It seems like he has lost a bit of composure? 

Albrighton is our best crosser of a ball, but isn't getting into effective forward positions recently to provide them. Maybe not his fault, but his main attribute is wasted currently.

Did we have a right back first half? Amartey was non existent, leaving Robertson to put in cross after cross for them. 

Ulloa, enough said.

Overall some really positive things, but only really from the second half.

The Shinji change you feel like crediting the manager for, but his introduction was as an injury replacement so enforced. Changed the game. 

What Ulloa and Slimani were doing in the first half is beyond me. Should never play upfront together again. Neither knew who the target man was and saw Leo running the channels once. Vardy he wasn't!!

Shinji made the difference but it was great to see certain players stand up second half. Amartey and Chilwell in particular.

Iborra can't pass water but he can read the game and get stuck in. Him and Wilf were doing a great job second half pinching the ball. 

Dragovic very impressive - he just defends, nothing flashy

4 hours ago, City1884 said:

1st half was beyond dire.

Shinji lit the fires second half, and has to start on Saturday alongside Vardy (assuming he's fit). He just brings so much extra energy to the side.

I though Dragovic did well tonight, did everything simple and no-nonsense, and could work well with Maguire in the future.

Slimani's finish was excellent, and his workrate seems much better this season, but his first touch can be awful at times.

Did my eyes deceive me? Did Gray put in a cross near the end of the game??!!! and here I was thinking he didn't know how to!

Makes a change from the "cut in on right and shoot" that seems to be his only thought when getting on the ball. He needs to do more crossing and variations  if he wants more game time. I like the lad, but he has to be less predictable.

Iborra seems to be strong and combative, would like to see more of him asap.

Disappointments tonight?

I still think Chilwell makes too many errors, and gets caught out of position too much.

Ndidi wins the ball back well, only to give it away again straight away at the minute. It seems like he has lost a bit of composure? 

Albrighton is our best crosser of a ball, but isn't getting into effective forward positions recently to provide them. Maybe not his fault, but his main attribute is wasted currently.

Did we have a right back first half? Amartey was non existent, leaving Robertson to put in cross after cross for them. 

Ulloa, enough said.

Overall some really positive things, but only really from the second half.

He did put a cross in! And a near perfect one at that, early release as well.  On here he gets painted in a negative light as someone too arrogant to improve or something. But he put in a shift yesterday, defensively too, and he seems to me to be really working on his game and wanting to improve.  All the mistakes you see are natural for a youth with his ability and they will iron out with more time on the pitch

Very surprised to win after such a poor first half.

Lessons learnt 

Amartey in defence is a diasaster waiting to happen. I've said this for so long about players like Daniel they just cannot hold their concentration, he was like the wondering Jew out there.

Iborra will get better he has quality needs some time to bed in but for the love of God Shakes not in a 44 bloody 2 what the hell are you thinking?

ulloha time is up, he is now well past it at this level.

But ultimately this is the final lesson:

team sheet saturday will read

kasper

simps

morgan

maguire

chilwell

albrighton

ndidi

king

mahrez

vardy

okazaki

desperado times when king gets rested for a mid week cup match. Drago, Gray, Iborra won't get a look in again

The second half performance shows we need to get back to our high pressing strategy. This season we've only pressed high against Brighton & Liverpool in the second half.

When we press high we are very good at winning second balls and then playing on the front foot. Wish we'd do this more often against the tougher teams  because if we were able to win balls high up the pitch we'd have Vardy & Mahrez to capitalize on the space these teams leave open. I'd say the only teams we need to sit deep against are Arsenal & Man City because they can both play around a high press.

9 hours ago, Babylon said:

He chose the player to come on ffs and you have no idea if that sub was 1 minute or 20 minutes from happening. We weren't going to go on much longer without changing.

If you are going to completely discount every win under him or any sub that works out or any decent performance, which most seem to with their selective stats, then yeah he's proved nothing. :rolleyes:

Moan about the original selection, but trying to take all credit off him second half is just more BS.

I don't know.

I'm far off from calling for his head and still stay behind him but he absolutely baffled me yesterday. His line-up was already mind-boggling and we were playing deep, with 3 CBs and with no link whatsoever between the midfield and Slim. The latter and Gray didn't get a sniff the whole first half. Ulloa shoud've never ever be started and we were awfully lucky to survive the first half without conceding at least two.

You said it yourself, like me and quite a few others that if he doesn't make some changes at half-time, it would be worrying. He didn't although it was crystal clear that we were one man down in a 4-4-2 with Ulloa alongside Slim and Coutinho was having a field day. It was beyond belief.

Of course we can only speculate about when and who he was about to sub, I for one never were so happy one player got injured. Given his substitutions record, I more inclined to think that the subbing would have come later.

I also won't forget that, even if Shinji did a wonderful job when he came on, Coutinho coming off was the determinant factor as Liverpool ceased to take the initiative thus relasing even further the pressure on our midfield.

I don't think he should get credit for this victory. He already jeopardized the result through his line-up and still refused to amend it at half-time. we won through an injury and a sucker punch. It's one of the biggest flukes I've ever seen and certainly the biggest under Shakespeare.

I know he's still learning but he didn't do himself a favor yesterday and saturday will be a whole other matter. We can feel ourselves lucky that Mane is suspended but Salah, Coutinho and Firminho all together are no joke. Play like yesterday and it will be a trashing. Shinji or not.

Whilst Iborra wasn't one of our better players, people need to realise this was his first competitive game in English football. In a midfield two, when he is used to a three. Also against a team that like to press the ball quickly.

Cut the guy some slack, he clearly has quality and will grow into this team. He is always looking to pass forwards which is a quality we don't have in midfield now without Drinkwater, so he could well become a key member of this side if given a chance. 

9 hours ago, TrentFox said:

Who was that bloke in the pre-match thread who was teetering on the brink of self-harm about a catastrophic performance he could see looming THAT NEVER ACTUALLY HAPPENED. Seriously, start banning the nutters !! 

If they did I'd be left on here talking to myself.

9 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Anyone know what Klopp was trying to say lol 

Meine Gott!

9 hours ago, Koke said:

Why did Klopp take Coutinho off? He was by far their best player first half. 

It was laways the plan. He isn't match fit. Let's hope he can't manage a game on Saturday either. Having said that if we bothered to close him down - or dare I say it man-mark him we'd look a lot better. First half we just let their midfield have as much space as they wanted. Disaster against anyone. Ndidi is a different class when he's hunting players and the ball.

9 hours ago, Mendi said:

The real Leicester City turned up , about time .

We all know it's about the press. How come CS doesn't?

9 hours ago, KingKoala said:

Gray is better player than Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

That's for sure but people will still moan about him.

Missed one of the many Iborra quotes out. As I said after watching him in the U23s this season some of you are not aware what you're getting. He can make a great pass but he can also give it away. He can charge after a player to close them down but then he needs a rest. He can make a great header and he seems intelligent but he can also be rash - that missed tackle! What was he thinking? It was worse than anything Wasyl ever tried! I think he can be serviceable in our team but he's also going to make a lot of mistakes. My hopes are pinned on Silva.

Archived