Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Post-Match Thread - Leicester 2-0 Liverpool (EFL Cup)

Just now, Koke said:

Why did Klopp take Coutinho off? He was by far their best player first half. 

This was the game's turning-point. Coutinho was basically tearing us a new one and giving our midfield a run for their money. For whatever reason Klopp decided that he should be preserved for saturday. Or maybe he wasn't fit enough to play 90 minutes, who knows. Not that I will complain, but I giggled as soon as I saw him coming off.

Can we just take a moment to dissect the fact that Shakespeare sent the SAME team out for the 2nd half after that first half performance. That's the worry for me. There's no sane reason on this planet you would do that, even if you didn't have any subs you'd still not go with that same XI!!

Craig, you're starting to worry me mate.

The thing about Gray is yeah, he obviously needs to make better decisions, but it's a different game when he gets the ball compared to anyone else on the pitch tonight. He's direct, he takes people on, he's quick, even the way he controlled that ball that went about 100 feet in the air was really good. Stuff happens when he gets the ball and it makes a huge difference when the rest of our play is so beige. 

He definitely benefitted from Shinji's work too cos he actually got the ball to feet more. 

Albrighton is good and when he's on it he's absolutely everywhere. Just sometimes he's part of the reason our game completely breaks down because every time he gets it it's just a hoof up the line or over the top. Tonight we clearly didn't have people up front to do that. And he doesn't really have the ability to beat people. He should play Saturday imo because we'll probably need him in a game like that, but we shouldn't be afraid to go with Gray and Mahrez against other teams. 

Very poor game turned by two substitutions, Coutinho going off and Okazaki coming on. Yet again our flat lifeless formation was being ripped apart by Liverpool, if it wasn't for their substandard strike force they would have finished us off by half time. 

From back to front I thought Dragovic looked decent, steady and happy to be on the ball. The rest of the back four were okay... midfield struggled all game, I'll admit that I haven't been impressed with N'didi so far this season, but he did well tonight, Iborra through no fault of his own looked a bit lost, he's used to movement and people wanting the ball, which he doesn't get here.

first half strike force was embarrassing if Ulloa ever pulls on a city shirt again I will cry, he is the worst footballer ever. His goal may have been good but Slimani was just as bad.

We were spared today, a better side would have punished us earlier, our lack of movement is scary, and we resort the the same predictable moves week in week out. Shakespeare was lucky Ulloa got injured because how he even entertained sending that shower of shit out again in the second half is beyond me.

Ideas need to be bucked up from the top down, it was nice to win today but we really didn't deserve it (not that Liverpool did either) but continue to play like this in the league and we will be scrapping. 

20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Can we just take a moment to dissect the fact that Shakespeare sent the SAME team out for the 2nd half after that first half performance. That's the worry for me. There's no sane reason on this planet you would do that, even if you didn't have any subs you'd still not go with that same XI!!

We held up pretty well, I must say. Can't put that much blame on Shakespeare. But luck certainly played a part. Attack after attack, Liverpool squandered their chances and as the game progressed, we found more into it.

I agree our starting XI was made up of a couple of odd choices on the whole, Amartey and Ulloa spring to mind, as well as teaming up Iborra and Ndidi in the centre.

IF Klopp hadn't taken Coutinho off, we might be looking at a different scoreline, though.

That and bringing on Okazaki for a highly-underwhelming Ulloa were the turning points of the game, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, shen said:

What a strange game that was.

First half was eye-gougingly bad.

Ulloa and Slimani held on to a grand total of 0 balls.

Iborra, Albrighton and Ndidi seemed like they had a competition about passing to red jerseys.

Gray being his usual self with great runs and woeful end product/decision making.

The defense was hilariously out of tune with Amartey giving Robertson the freedom of Leicester and Chilwell nearly gifiting a great chance.

One would've thought that the second half would bring changes, but truth is we only really started to compete because Coutinho went off and Ulloa had a laugh about how bad he could play and still be on the pitch until he took matters into his own hands.

But even then (!) we were still bloody dreadful.

Gray got more into the game, but he really produced nothing of note until we were 2-0 up come to think of it.

Slimani, I swear, did NOTHING good with the ball bar his goal and the layoff leading up to it.

Iborra I'd argue was even worse than first half and somehow he gets an assist to his name.

Shinji is really the only player who impressed tonight and how fitting it was that he scuffs in a deflected shot.

What's the point in being fan if you can't take an evening off from moaning and slating the players to enjoy an evening like this? Personally I'm sat on the sofa with a nice cold beer, in a superb mood.

It was only a few short years ago that we were losing to sides like Barnsley on Tuesday night's.

I mean really why bother investing time and money into supporting a football club if you can't take even a tiny bit of pleasure from knocking one of the most famous clubs in the world out of the cup?

1 hour ago, TrentFox said:

I know long posts are boring. Sorry. But here goes. Gray. Slated for his attitude. But it was faultless this evening. Morgan. The new scapegoat. He was Captain Fantastic again. So many blocks. Leads by  example. Iborra. Forget a couple of wayward passes. He's quality. I adore this guy already. Just get him match fit and let him lead our midfield to a better place. Change the shape to enable that. Us. Fans. FFS ! Match threads are always hard, but seriously? Some

of you should be banned. We're LCFC playing LIVERPOOL. Liverpool. Heard of them ? If you think that because of one miraculous season we are on a level field  with them, then you've been smoking your socks. But we still found the heart to beat them. Wow!! Just wow. Where have you been? This is superb. If you can't enjoy every second of an evening like tonight, you're probably not cut out for a lifetime of supporting a mid-sized team. We support the maddest, most insane, ridiculous team in the country. Smile. Rejoice. It's hilarious !!!! Most teams would give everything to be us. Don't let that pass you by. 

Cracking post.

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

Ulloa MOTM. That was a match winning injury.

I was there as pitch-side Para and the control room were going nuts telling us to get ready to go on the pitch as the team doctor was about to get involved, could be serious, he might need carrying... then he got up and kinda limped around the pitch. Good work, a BAFTA is in the offing.

Thank goodness Hamer never had a challenging save to make. The defense seem so nervous when he's behind them. Seemed to me that on several occasions, particularly in the first half, there was very little communication between him and the back 4.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Always better to wait to see if the other manager makes moves at halftime in this sort of competition. You have the same number of substitutions regardless, why not make moves that respond to what they have already done?

I think what happened was Shakey saw the subtraction of Coutinho, elected to make substitutions a bit later as he for some reason liked the way this group matched up after the half, and then Ulloa went out and Shinji got them going and he liked the way we were playing, decided not to muck it up.

Not that I think that was the right call. It worked, but after that first half, wholesale changes were called for. Glad to see Slimani score, he wasn't really involved the first half, but tough to blame him, we need Silva to help get them the ball.

1 minute ago, harpendenfox said:

I simply have no idea why we gave Leo a new contract. He has scored some crucial goals for us in past seasons, but appears to offer absolutely nothing anymore.

totally bizarre decision making

I think he probably saw a reduction in pay/playing time expectation for the certainty of a longer deal at still pretty good PL wages. He's basically here to be Iborra's glorified translator if the tunnel videos are anything to go by.

What can we learn from this weird match?

1. Liverpool without Couthinho, Firmino, Salah , Sane and

Sturridge up front are only an average PL side.

2. Couthinho alone was enough to  dominate the first

half.

3. Playing Ulloa and Slimani together doesn't make 

much sense ( I really wonder, how CS could believe,

that it would work). 

On Saturday we will probably have to deal with Couthino,

Firmino and Salah. Regarding the fact, that tonight we weren't

able to get Couthinho under control, I wonder how we are going to 

stop those three?

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Why? 

First half was rubbish, but apart from one Chilwell block early on, Liverpool didn't really look like scoring. They were equally as bad in the last third.

I guess his HT team talk would be, you are talented players, you can't be as bad again, go out and show what you can do. Sure they were poor first half, but the discipline, shape and desire was there. I have watched city over 1000 times, seen that first half performance 300-400 times. We couldn't be that bad again and so it proved. Obviously number 23 going off proved a godsend! 

I don't post on here so often anymore because of the massive negative feel of this forum, but we did beat a good side tonight, but still all the regular doommongers come on.

Sometimes. I feel it might be worth getting relegated, so all you so called supporters who enjoy slagging off the team will clear off. I am not a happy clapper, I get really frustrated, but I understand that sometimes the other team has better players and you have to bide your time. 

If we keep playing poorly, but keep winning and get to Wembley, I hope all you naysayers will have the decency to give your ticket away. 

The first half was a write off. I think the most important part of the game was Ulloa getting injured. The midfield was way too far away from the strikers which meant not a great deal was created and often the ball was given away. Once Okazaki game on, he connected the midfield to the attack and created more space for the midfield to work in. Thought Gray was solid, should start on Saturday, Dragovic didn't put a foot wrong (apart from give the ball away a few times but everyone did that), so overall a successful night. Let's do them over again on Saturday.  

15 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

I simply have no idea why we gave Leo a new contract. He has scored some crucial goals for us in past seasons, but appears to offer absolutely nothing anymore.

totally bizarre decision making

As far as I know, his old contract would have run out at the end

of this season, meaning that he, then being a free agent, would have

been able to simply  walk away.

Now, thanks to this new contract, we can sell him in the next 

window/summer for a few millions.

Does that make sense?

I think so.

If coutinho had played the second half I think that game would've ended very differently.  It was a god send that he was brought off at half time. 

Same goes for ulloa coming off! Completely changed the game for us. 

On another note I don't think I've ever seen Slimani hit the ball so sweetly as he did for the second goal. 

8 minutes ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

As far as I know, his old contract would have run out at the end

of this season, meaning that he, then being a free agent, would have

been able to simply  walk away.

Now, thanks to this new contract, we can sell him in the next 

window/summer for a few millions.

Does that make sense?

I think so.

But you need somebody to want him.

That was a fantastic night of entertainment. I've heard it said that football is a game of two halves. lol

Hats off to Wes and Dragovic, kept us in it when we were being battered. Also to goal-machines Shinji-san and Big Slim.

Honourable mention for Iborra, even though he was pretty rubbish. He has cult hero written all over him, the knockdown for Shinji was a peach, and that booking near the end was an absolute masterstroke. Nailed on starter against West Brom.

39 minutes ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

What can we learn from this weird match?

1. Liverpool without Couthinho, Firmino, Salah , Sane and

Sturridge up front are only an average PL side.

2. Couthinho alone was enough to  dominate the first

half.

3. Playing Ulloa and Slimani together doesn't make 

much sense ( I really wonder, how CS could believe,

that it would work). 

On Saturday we will probably have to deal with Couthino,

Firmino and Salah. Regarding the fact, that tonight we weren't

able to get Couthinho under control, I wonder how we are going to 

stop those three?

Simple, his name is Andy King :D

Archived