Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Post-Match Thread - Leicester 2-0 Liverpool (EFL Cup)

20 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

I don't know.

I'm far off from calling for his head and still stay behind him but he absolutely baffled me yesterday. His line-up was already mind-boggling and we were playing deep, with 3 CBs and with no link whatsoever between the midfield and Slim. The latter and Gray didn't get a sniff the whole first half. Ulloa shoud've never ever be started and we were awfully lucky to survive the first half without conceding at least two.

You said it yourself, like me and quite a few others that if he doesn't make some changes at half-time, it would be worrying. He didn't although it was crystal clear that we were one man down in a 4-4-2 with Ulloa alongside Slim and Coutinho was having a field day. It was beyond belief.

Of course we can only speculate about when and who he was about to sub, I for one never were so happy one player got injured. Given his substitutions record, I more inclined to think that the subbing would have come later.

I also won't forget that, even if Shinji did a wonderful job when he came on, Coutinho coming off was the determinant factor as Liverpool ceased to take the initiative thus relasing even further the pressure on our midfield.

I don't think he should get credit for this victory. He already jeopardized the result through his line-up and still refused to amend it at half-time. we won through an injury and a sucker punch. It's one of the biggest flukes I've ever seen and certainly the biggest under Shakespeare.

I know he's still learning but he didn't do himself a favor yesterday and saturday will be a whole other matter. We can feel ourselves lucky that Mane is suspended but Salah, Coutinho and Firminho all together are no joke. Play like yesterday and it will be a trashing. Shinji or not.

I'm not suggesting people bow at his feet, but when people are absolutely ripping the bloke to bits about everything and anything related to him and a lot that even isn't. Then it pisses me off people can't credit correct decisions, people say can it was forced or obvious (most were calling for Nacho from what I saw), but at the end of the day he had a decision to make and he made the right one, it changed the game and we won.

Yeah it was a stupid line up with Ulloa, but my thinking is that it was more about giving people minutes than even trying to win the game. Because Leo has done absolutely nothing for a long time now. I just wish the club would be honest that it's about minutes, fitness, keeping a couple of players happy then pretending we had much interest in progressing.

1 hour ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Surely we must base a verdict on what did happen not what might have happened?

Yeah... he had a decision to make and he made the right call and we won the game. How's that?

Look I don't want to get too defensive, because it was a shit show again for the first half. But as I said above, if people are going to moan about every little thing then praise the little things as well.

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Yeah... he had a decision to make and he made the right call and we won the game. How's that?

Look I don't want to get too defensive, because it was a shit show again for the first half. But as I said above, if people are going to moan about every little thing then praise the little things as well.

Yeah I know that's true. 

Not sure how clear he is thinking with two in midfield! 

34 minutes ago, Simi said:

Whilst Iborra wasn't one of our better players, people need to realise this was his first competitive game in English football. In a midfield two, when he is used to a three. Also against a team that like to press the ball quickly.

Cut the guy some slack, he clearly has quality and will grow into this team. He is always looking to pass forwards which is a quality we don't have in midfield now without Drinkwater, so he could well become a key member of this side if given a chance. 

Would any other player in our squad have the intelligence to cushion that header for Shinji's goal? I don't think so. 

He's a work in progress but there were encouraging signs. Did he make an impact on the game? Yes, far more than any other centre midfielder for us recently 

Not easy to assess Hamer's performance but I really liked how he kept hold of the ball from all those pop shots in the first half. I know it's what they should do but how many times do we see it when a keeper parries into the path of an alert striker who nets from the rebound.

Ulloa and Slimani is about as daft a combination as you'll see but I don't think Ulloa quite deserves all the stick he's getting. On paper it was a front two but it looked like Slim was playing up top on his own and Ulloa was at times trying to play off him like Vards or Oka would do, and also dropping deeper into the midfield which is not where he wants to be. He had no time in that area of the pitch and he's not that sort of player, hence why he lost the ball a lot. I still honestly think he think he can be useful in some games if used in the right way, but that undoubtedly was not the right way. 

Of course the first half was horrendous and we have a lot to thank Liverpool for as they charitably decided to keep wasting chances, but we also defended for our lives, albeit because we had no choice. The CBs put in some quality blocks, especially Wes, and nobody was afraid to get stuck in, even if it meant getting embarrassed by quick feet or slick passing. The endeavour was there even if the class and performance wasn't. 

Okazaki showed his worth when he came on, he was such a handful and took some massive knocks for his troubles as well. His work off the ball seemed to lift the other players.

Gray had a solid game, didn't sulk too much, and made the right decision more often than not. He definitely needs more starts, not just to get some match practice but also so he isn't so desperate to prove himself in his ten-minute cameo. 

Iborra looked a bit nervous at times and gave the ball away quite a bit but you can see something decent there. His comically unsubtle pullback and subsequent booting the ball away towards the end of the second half was something to behold, he's obviously got a ruthless streak in him which we do need.

Many reasons to be pleased imo, even though the first half was appalling. 

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'm not suggesting people bow at his feet, but when people are absolutely ripping the bloke to bits about everything and anything related to him and a lot that even isn't. Then it pisses me off people can't credit correct decisions, people say can it was forced or obvious (most were calling for Nacho from what I saw), but at the end of the day he had a decision to make and he made the right one, it changed the game and we won.

Yeah it was a stupid line up with Ulloa, but my thinking is that it was more about giving people minutes than even trying to win the game. Because Leo has done absolutely nothing for a long time now. I just wish the club would be honest that it's about minutes, fitness, keeping a couple of players happy then pretending we had much interest in progressing.

Never ever called for his head nor torn him up to shreds.

I just feel that he screwed up badly this time. That giving game time is one thing, fvcking up the line up and not wanting to correct as soon as possible is another. If any Nacho should've game time and not a big cone who wouldn't even make it to the bench anyway and whose new contract will go down as one of the biggest mysteries in football history.

Subbing Ulloa at half-time was a no-brainer, even the most dense football fan would see it. Yet he still lost 10 precious minutes by letting him on. 50 minutes lost just to please one guy? It's poor management and poor tactics. We shouldn't have been in this situation to begin with and only won due to Liverpools ineffectiveness in the first half and their joke defense.

He got lucky Babs. Not saying he has to go but he should certainly be wary. Once he gets the full squad, there won't be any excuse anymore.

Ulloa was main catalyst for performance change and I agree how he wasn't subbed at HT I'll never know... I was really impressed with slim and oka up front, both were close to each other and linked up really well... slim plays the striker further up job quite well and I kno it's only one game but I wouldn't mind seeing it again at some point.

8 hours ago, BoyJones said:

Why? 

First half was rubbish, but apart from one Chilwell block early on, Liverpool didn't really look like scoring. They were equally as bad in the last third.

I guess his HT team talk would be, you are talented players, you can't be as bad again, go out and show what you can do. Sure they were poor first half, but the discipline, shape and desire was there. I have watched city over 1000 times, seen that first half performance 300-400 times. We couldn't be that bad again and so it proved. Obviously number 23 going off proved a godsend! 

I don't post on here so often anymore because of the massive negative feel of this forum, but we did beat a good side tonight, but still all the regular doommongers come on.

Sometimes. I feel it might be worth getting relegated, so all you so called supporters who enjoy slagging off the team will clear off. I am not a happy clapper, I get really frustrated, but I understand that sometimes the other team has better players and you have to bide your time. 

If we keep playing poorly, but keep winning and get to Wembley, I hope all you naysayers will have the decency to give your ticket away. 

Why? are you serious man? We got very lucky and to think otherwise is moronic. If you think that Ulloa and Slimani as a partnership is acceptable, especially after that opening 45 minutes and he thought fit to carry on with it then you need to give your head a wobble. Fair play for us turning it around as it's a collective effort but there was such a mentality shift once Coutinho went off and Ulloa thankfully departed, but the question still has to be asked at what point would Shakespeare have made the change anyway?

6 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

Ulloa was main catalyst for performance change and I agree how he wasn't subbed at HT I'll never know... I was really impressed with slim and oka up front, both were close to each other and linked up really well... slim plays the striker further up job quite well and I kno it's only one game but I wouldn't mind seeing it again at some point.

It's happened before - Leicester 3 Palace 0 at the start of last season. Similar scenario where Shinji is being pushed out of the team comes in and provides balance to the eleven. 

1st half shit, 2nd half decent.

Not one of our current central midfielders are suited to playing in a 2.  If we start with a 2 on Saturday, it wont end well.

I think I quite like the idea of Shinji coming off the bench and making a nuisance of himself once the opposition defence has tired rather than start a game and come

off after 70.

42 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Yeah it was a stupid line up with Ulloa, but my thinking is that it was more about giving people minutes than even trying to win the game. 

I don't really buy this because it doesn't make any sense to play Wes/Ndidi/Albrighton if we weren't bothered about winning. I actually believe him saying we're trying to win it. In the last round we started Maguire, Ndidi & Fuchs as well. Apart from Ulloa in both games his team selection has seemed fair enough, a decent mix of starters and still using the squad, which is much better depth wise than we've had for ages.

Chilwell continues to divide opinions. I thought he had a decent game - great tackling, put a shift in. Only his decision-making going forward was suspicious (again), also has troubles keeping the ball in defense when put under pressure.

Still, let's not forget he was the one who initiated the attack that led to our first goal with his long ball into the Liverpool box.

One of the problems we have is we are trying to solve our midfield problems with a striker. 

We have many strikers. We have many CMs. But we have no attacking midfielders who can link up. So we are reliant on Okazaki, who's is a honest hard working lad, but goes missing more often than not. 

5 minutes ago, Koke said:

One of the problems we have is we are trying to solve our midfield problems with a striker. 

We have many strikers. We have many CMs. But we have no attacking midfielders who can link up. So we are reliant on Okazaki, who's is a honest hard working lad, but goes missing more often than not. 

6 strikers, 5 defensive midfielders. Where on earth is the thought process there? Any attacking type of midfielder have been fcuked off in Barnes, Kapustka and Lawrence. Arguably all 3 might not be good enough for the PL but then neither are many of these DM's in a 4-4-2.

I was simultaneously ecstatic and angry after last nights match.

I was angry that CS fielded the team that he did. It was either an act of trying to keep everyone happy or, more worryingly, he actually thought a partnership of Ulloa and Slimani could work.

I was angry at the first half performance. It was up there with the worst I've ever seen. I'd love to see the expected goals stats at half time. I blame the manager for playing a system that was never ever going to suit them.

I was angry at some of the individual performances of some of the players, who proved yet again that they aren't up to it or aren't improving.

I was ecstactic that Shinji changed the game.

I was ecstatic that surely now it's plain to see that we HAVE to play with intensity to win games.

I was ecstatic that, somehow, we won.

10 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Chilwell continues to divide opinions. I thought he had a decent game - great tackling, put a shift in. Only his decision-making going forward was suspicious (again), also has troubles keeping the ball in defense when put under pressure.

Still, let's not forget he was the one who initiated the attack that led to our first goal with his long ball into the Liverpool box.

His pace also got us out of trouble a lot, particular in the first half. Oxlade-Chamberlain struggled to beat him all night.

Slimani.... a great goal but the rest of the game he was woeful.

Early on there was a 50.50 ball v their keeper and he pulled out. Vardy would have battered in so that next time the keeper wouldn't be so brave. 

He is frightened of contact.

The lpool defenders were big. Yet slimani is just not strong enough.

He has been with us a year.  His strength and combativeness are things ge could have worked on. But he hasnt bothered. His passing was awful.

Shinji came on and showed how to close down defenders at speed causing them to play hasty poor passes. 

Slimani hit a great strike for his goal.... but i think it us not enough.

Either he starts to work on his flaws or we shouldnt play him.

Iheanacho needs to find some form.... why give minutes to slimani if he wont work on his weaknesses?

4 minutes ago, Koke said:

One of the problems we have is we are trying to solve our midfield problems with a striker

Exactly. Holding the trigger as long as the Silva problem isn't cleared, but after that the 4-4-2 has to go. At least gegen mid- and top-table teams. We didn't bring Silva, Iborra and Nacho to further play hoofball or letting them rot on the bench.

Reading the Liverpool forum is funny.

They basically saw the second half the same way we saw the first! 

I think Liverpool will be very dangerous on Saturday, they'll want revenge. We were lucky not to concede in the first half. I hope with Maguire in for Drago (who had a good game) and KS for Hamer (who did well), we will be even more solid at the back and limit their chances. Do we play Iborra in mid-field again? I think we might. The more game time Ndidi and Iborra get together the better. Start Vardy and Iheanacho? Bring on Okazaki with 20 to go to scare the Liverpool defence again!? It will be a very interesting game on Saturday!

Archived