Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hackneyfox

Appleton says

“I’m hoping the players don’t need lifting. The group is very positive and I fully expect our mindset to be on Saturday’s game.

"My full focus is making sure I pick the right team for Saturday. Hopefully with a bit of luck and quality we can go and win.”

Leciester City stand-in manager Michael Appleton has revealed sacked Foxes boss Craig Shakespeare is still smarting from his dismissal earlier this week.

The Midlanders, who are third from bottom in the Premier League, parted with Shakespeare on Tuesday, and Appleton has been asked to take charge as they search for his replacement.

He said: " I was a little bit surprised like most people but then there's the old adage nothing surprises you in football - it gets used a lot.

"You find yourself very quickly being put in a situation where you have a group of staff and player to prepare for a big game on Saturday.

"I spoke to him (Shakespeare) a couple of times. He's a little bit raw still. I don't recall him having lost his job before.

"He's a bit raw but having been there myself I spent a bit of time talking through how I dealt with it etc and I'm sure in the coming days and weeks he'll start thinking positively.

"He's highly respected by all the players and staff at the cub.

"He's been here a long time and done a lot of roles. The one thing I did mention was he was part of me coming here.

"A top guy."

2 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

“I’m hoping the players don’t need lifting. The group is very positive and I fully expect our mindset to be on Saturday’s game.

"My full focus is making sure I pick the right team for Saturday. Hopefully with a bit of luck and quality we can go and win.”

Can’t even do a statement without thinking about the gym lol

"He's a bit raw but having been there myself I spent a bit of time talking through how I dealt with it etc and I'm sure in the coming days and weeks he'll start thinking positively."

He'll never get the job.

1 hour ago, Wookie said:

I’m not so sure why most people on here have decided they don’t like him or he’s shite at his job when we really don’t know actually. 

Because, as with everything to do with our on-pitch performance, those types of folks are far more interested in inevitably being proven right (even when they're not *cough* Pearson *cough*) than Leicester actually succeeding.

16 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Leciester City stand-in manager Michael Appleton has revealed sacked Foxes boss Craig Shakespeare is still smarting from his dismissal earlier this week.

The Midlanders, who are third from bottom in the Premier League, parted with Shakespeare on Tuesday, and Appleton has been asked to take charge as they search for his replacement.

He said: " I was a little bit surprised like most people but then there's the old adage nothing surprises you in football - it gets used a lot.

"You find yourself very quickly being put in a situation where you have a group of staff and player to prepare for a big game on Saturday.

"I spoke to him (Shakespeare) a couple of times. He's a little bit raw still. I don't recall him having lost his job before.

"He's a bit raw but having been there myself I spent a bit of time talking through how I dealt with it etc and I'm sure in the coming days and weeks he'll start thinking positively.

"He's highly respected by all the players and staff at the cub.

"He's been here a long time and done a lot of roles. The one thing I did mention was he was part of me coming here.

"A top guy."

Lost me at that point Appleton.

Obviously skipped page one in the book of things that managers shouldn't say. 

10 minutes ago, Wookie said:

I’m not so sure why most people on here have decided they don’t like him or he’s shite at his job when we really don’t know actually. 

Tbf it's probably because the manager was sacked. Assistants are the ones who support the manager - help with tactics etc - so surely if the team hasn't been performing the assistant plays a part in that too?

How many times do assistants stay and successfully succeed a manager who has been sacked? 

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

Tbf it's probably because the manager was sacked. Assistants are the ones who support the manager - help with tactics etc - so surely if the team hasn't been performing the assistant plays a part in that too?

How many times do assistants stay and successfully succeed a manager who has been sacked? 

Erm ...

4 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Erm ...

Shakespeare got sacked he didn't successfully succeed Ranieri.

I'm talking about winning things. (IE Paisley succeeds Shankly and wins trophy after trophy with Liverpool but Shankly didn't get sacked anyway, they were obviously a good team together).

My point is if Appleton has new ideas etc then surely they haven't worked because he would have been sharing them with Shakespeare?

* I am not suggesting Appleton will not work but just sort of answering Wookie's question

** But to contradict myself after that I don't think Appleton will do anything anyway

54 minutes ago, Wookie said:

I'm completely indifferent to his case to be honest. There is no chance in hell the job will be given to another newbie and the club has probably took a defeat at Swansea into account. It's a nothing game.

He's just a caretaker for 1-2 games and will be probably gone as soon the new manager will take over and bring his own staff.

4 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Shakespeare got sacked he didn't successfully succeed Ranieri.

I'm talking about winning things. (IE Paisley succeeds Shankly and wins trophy after trophy with Liverpool but Shankly didn't get sacked anyway, they were obviously a good team together).

My point is if Appleton has new ideas etc then surely they haven't worked because he would have been sharing them with Shakespeare?

you will find out tomorrow afternoon

19 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Erm ...

The team are generally lifted after a sacking to prove to the outside world and the potential new manager that results were due to tactics not the fault of the players. That ‘ honeymoon period ‘ can stretch a couple of games, a handful or even more ( as in shakers case) before normal service is resumed and effort and desire drop to the point that got the manager sacked.

Whoever is chosen needs to be tactically aware as well as being a superb man manager,

Archived