Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxSinceBirth

New Right Back???

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

lol

Its a good job I didn't write that. It would herald another ten posts from the usuals suggesting I wanted Amartey dead, or summat.

If the usuals argue I would question their footballing knowledge.

1 minute ago, toddybad said:

If the usuals argue I would question their footballing knowledge.

But of course you'd know better than Puel because you've played more hours on FM.

6 minutes ago, FIF said:

But of course you'd know better than Puel because you've played more hours on FM.

Well, er, no, I haven't. This is all a bit awkward isn't it?

You mean the same Puel who's had him nowhere near the pitch in a serious match until the only other player to play right back in the last god knows how long got injured? He only saw action with the rest of the reserves in the league cup.

Amartey has poor positioning, rushes poorly thought through passes backwards and sideways, isn't a natural full back and has looked decidedly shaky when having to defend every time he's played there.

The only time anybody says he looks okay is when he's had to do no defending.

You don't need to be a premier league manager to spot this. That said, the fact we're clearly looking for a right back rather than trusting Amartey as our back up would suggest that Claude Puel agrees with me.

Edited by Guest

40 minutes ago, toddybad said:

You mean the same Puel who's had him nowhere near the pitch in a serious match until the only other player to play right back in the last god knows how long got injured? He only saw action with the rest of the reserves in the league cup.

Amartey has poor positioning, rushes poorly thought through passes backwards and sideways, isn't a natural full back and has looked decidedly shaky when having to defend every time he's played there.

You don't need to be a premier league manager to spot this. That said, the fact we're clearly looking for a right back rather than trusting Amartey as our back up would suggest that Claude Puel agrees with me.

Err... What?

so we will potentially spend 30 million on a RB  to fill a gap for a few weeks as an alternative to Amartey as back up?

i think Puel spending 30m on ANYONE would suggest he’s going to be his  starting RB and likely to replace Simpson wether Amartey is an adequate back up or not...

Edited by MPH

1 hour ago, toddybad said:

Well I guess Puel doesn’t agree with you, as he’s picked him as the starting right back today (as soon as he became available). I guess we just watch and see how he does today against a very good Liverpool team. I for one, hope he plays well, but to prove a point but so he helps stop Coutinho and whoever else is on their left 

45 minutes ago, Mint_Fox said:

That Jonny is a left back from what I have read on him just now.

We're well stocked in that area with Fuchs in the process of passing the mantle on to Chilwell but this Jonny is exactly the sort of profile I want to see the club pursue.  He's 23 years of age with 159 appearances for Celta Vigo over the last five years. His pedigree is excellent as he's been capped by Spain from U18 level to U21 level and has been called up for the Spain squad although never featured. 

This is exactly the sort of player we should be after if we want to improve as a club rather than the okay 27 year old from Benfica who by all accounts is a bit meh.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mint_Fox said:

Always good to have a Jonny about the place! Certainly looks a better signing than Johnson etc. Think we need a LB too, as great a servant Fuchs has been and still is i can't see him playing much if at all next season.

Jonny.. be good!!! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mint_Fox said:

I heard Jonny provides decent protection, saying that he does occasionally let people come inside.

i’m a disgrace.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Haha 1

We do need some protection at the back! You pay the price if something slips through.

34 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I heard Jonny provides decent protection, saying that he does occasionally let people come inside.

i’m a disgrace.

26 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

From BR

Almeida not in the Benfica team. First game he's missed. Transfer window about to open. Put 2 and 2 together maybe.

Seems more realistic than Tripper. Hopefully he's what we need not what we want, bit like some of my Christmas presents!

53 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Almeida's numbers are significantly better than Simpson's on whoscored. 2 goals, 3 assists and an 80% pass rate.

Playing for one of the best teams in a much inferior league though. I'd bet some of those clubs in that division have similar budgets to our League One teams.

16 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Buying a left back doesn’t mean he has to play left back - Chelsea played a right back at left back for a fair while (or vica versa)

a decent technical player who is comfortable on the ball could play on the wrong side 

No need to explain, I grew up watching Alan Maybury strut his stuff!

• Haha 1