Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxSinceBirth

New Right Back???

6 minutes ago, Bert said:

We don't need a right back to replace Simpson. We need a right back that will provide competition and cover for him. Simpson is one of the best right backs in the league, defensively. 

But not mate if the manager is going to play him as a right back who is expected to get up the pitch and pass and cross the ball. As all that happens then is that he loses it and isn’t quick enough to get back. I agree he’s one of the best right backs defensively though.

13 minutes ago, Bert said:

We don't need a right back to replace Simpson. We need a right back that will provide competition and cover for him. Simpson is one of the best right backs in the league, defensively. 

He's good at covering the middle when crosses come from the other side.

He's crap at stopping crosses from his own side though.

38 minutes ago, Bert said:

I've been saying that for Months, Plus he is improving getting forward he's intelligent and just needs time to improve further. More importantly he doesn't get injured and rarely misses games. for any manager that's a big plus.

1 hour ago, Bert said:

I don't get this Bert. If this three months out happens will he be back fully fit this season. I know he's no sick note but at his age this injury could slow him up even more. I'm not one to slag Simpson off bit looking fwd we need to look at his replacement and not someone for cover.

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Trouble is Traditional Right backs are being squeezed out for those that also have the ability to get up the field and put a decent cross in. More is expected from a RB these days..

1 hour ago, orangecity23 said:

Trippier is a good player, but my fear is that we'll spend all January negotiating with Spurs and getting nowhere while they keep trying to bleed us dry, then, at the last minute, go for a Molla Wague style loan for some duffer we've barely scouted, or end up with no-one at all.

This is my January window prediction.

4 hours ago, toddybad said:

He's good at covering the middle when crosses come from the other side.

He's crap at stopping crosses from his own side though.

Yep, there's not many players in the league you'd want at the back post when the ball has gone there. 

I love Simpson and have said regularly he's one of the best and most consistent defenders in the league but Trippier is exactly the type of right back who we should aim to get in. 

It would provide excellent competition at right back.

On 12/24/2017 at 11:05, themightyfin said:

More talks planned for Wednesday/Thursday. 

He’s very keen to come I’m told but spurs are digging their heals in.

From what I’ve been told it seems like we are prepared to Goto £30m but they are wanting to squeeze more from us.

I think it’s going to take more like £40m

With the news that Van Dijk is going for 75m, then all of a sudden 30m doesn't look as bad.  It's all about perspective.

7 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

With the news that Van Dijk is going for 75m, then all of a sudden 30m doesn't look as bad.  It's all about perspective.

Don't let the Van Dijk transfer fee fool you. Van Dijk was wanted by two of the biggest clubs in the world in Liverpool and Man City.

Trippier is a squad player at Tottenham and wanted by a mid table PL club. If we pay £30m+ for Tottenham's reserve right back who is 27 and been in this league long enough that everyone knows he's a good player but will never be anything more than that then we deserve all the ridicule the footballing world will give us.

There is no upside to buying him for this price. We already know we'll never sell him for more money than we paid and he won't be the difference in turning us from a mid table side to a side that can challenge the top six. Have we learnt nothing as a club?

5 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Don't let the Van Dijk transfer fee fool you. Van Dijk was wanted by two of the biggest clubs in the world in Liverpool and Man City.

Trippier is a squad player at Tottenham and wanted by a mid table PL club. If we pay £30m+ for Tottenham's reserve right back who is 27 and been in this league long enough that everyone knows he's a good player but will never be anything more than that then we deserve all the ridicule the footballing world will give us.

There is no upside to buying him for this price. We already know we'll never sell him for more money than we paid and he won't be the difference in turning us from a mid table side to a side that can challenge the top six. Have we learnt nothing as a club?

I'm not saying I want him.  I'm just saying the market is still in a period of price adjustment.  What seems like a high price today might not seem as high tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Grey Fox said:

I'm not saying I want him.  I'm just saying the market is still in a period of price adjustment.  What seems like a high price today might not seem as high tomorrow.

The only reason Tottenham will sell him is because he doesn't get in their first team and the money is too good to turn down. It's just such bad value buying big club's cast offs for big club prices. Tottenham bought Walker's replacement in Aurier from PSG who is better, younger and cheaper than Trippier. It's great business from Tottenham if they can get £80m+ for their two right backs, buy Aurier for £25m, promote Walker-Peters from the academy and make a shit load of money.

If we're going to progress as a club or even stay the same we won't do it long term by paying OTT prices for players who have little room for improvement and unwanted by the top clubs. I'd happily have Trippier here for around the £10m mark but talk of £30m-£40m is absolutely crazy. We should be spending money on vastly improving our scouting and looking to buy players under 25 who have great potential and playing in leagues like Belgium, Switzerland, Holland, etc.

PSG bought the 24 year old right back Meunier from Club Brugge for £6m last year and he's been linked with Man Utd and Chelsea because Dani Alves is keeping him out the side. That's exactly the sort of player we should have been in for before he went PSG, an outstanding player playing in Belgium. He cost peanuts at £6m but was still good enough for PSG to buy. Put that sort of business alongside Trippier for £30-40m and it's a joke.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bert said:

The manager has clearly stated he wants an attacking right back, Simpson isn't that. So we need a new right back.

I like Tripper but not for Riyad money, that would be ridiculous.  There are right backs who are better for cheaper out there, and agree with a lot of other comments, Danny Simpson has been one of our better performers, so not a position that a desperately needs a massive signing to replace (seems weird saying that now, after how we all were at the start of the season). 

23 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The manager has clearly stated he wants an attacking right back, Simpson isn't that. So we need a new right back.

Yep, I clearly stated in that post that we shouldn't sign a new right back didn't I :rolleyes:

Has Chilwell replaced Fuchs because Chilwell is more attacking? No, they are both playing a similar amount of games at the minute. 

8 minutes ago, Bert said:

Yep, I clearly stated in that post that we shouldn't sign a new right back didn't I :rolleyes:

Has Chilwell replaced Fuchs because Chilwell is more attacking? No, they are both playing a similar amount of games at the minute. 

You said we need a new right back as cover.

Puel has quite clearly stated, as I already said, what he expects of his right back and that goes against what Simpson actually offers. To implement the system the he wants, we need a new right back who is far moire comfortable on the ball and can actually play an active part in attacks. 

We don't need cover if we ever wish Puel to get the team he wants, we need a new starter. That's harsh on Simpson somewhat as he's been a fine player for us, but he was a fine player in Ranieri's system, a system the manager wants to move away from. He doesn't fit the style he wants to play, there is zero point in attempting to shoe horn him in. 

As for Chilwell and Fuchs, Fuchs can actually attack so that totally negates your point. Simpson, cannot. 

• Like 1