Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Dogs

• 4 weeks later...

Advice please...

I live a fairly happy life. I have a decent wife, two great kids under 10 and two cats. We all live fairly harmoniously. We have had the cats for a little over a year and they have fitted in a treat. 

The wife and kids are however, applying increasing pressure on me to allow a dog into the family.

For the record, I class myself as an animal lover BUT I have reservations about owning a dog. Something I have never done.

I have a couple of concerns, primarily around being restricted on days out or weekends away and longer holidays with having to always be back to let the dog out or get others to look after it on our behalf.

The other major concern is that it needs walking everyday.  I know that during the summer months, the wife and kids would have no issue with doing it, but at this time of year when it is cold, dark, windy and wet, they won't be so keen and it will be left to me to do. Something I have zero desire to do.

So, what are the benefits and pitfalls to dog ownership?  Should I give in to the rest of the family or stand my ground? 

The type of dog hasn't been mentioned yet but it will likely be a small to medium sized one.

12 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Advice please...

I live a fairly happy life. I have a decent wife, two great kids under 10 and two cats. We all live fairly harmoniously. We have had the cats for a little over a year and they have fitted in a treat. 

The wife and kids are however, applying increasing pressure on me to allow a dog into the family.

For the record, I class myself as an animal lover BUT I have reservations about owning a dog. Something I have never done.

I have a couple of concerns, primarily around being restricted on days out or weekends away and longer holidays with having to always be back to let the dog out or get others to look after it on our behalf.

The other major concern is that it needs walking everyday.  I know that during the summer months, the wife and kids would have no issue with doing it, but at this time of year when it is cold, dark, windy and wet, they won't be so keen and it will be left to me to do. Something I have zero desire to do.

So, what are the benefits and pitfalls to dog ownership?  Should I give in to the rest of the family or stand my ground? 

The type of dog hasn't been mentioned yet but it will likely be a small to medium sized one.

You answered your own question tbh. If you or your family can't be arsed to walk it, then don't get one. 

A dog is a lot of effort compared to a cat. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Advice please...

Speaking from a similar experience you will be the one doing the walking,twice a day,rain,snow or gale.

otherwise your garden will be full of sht.

If walking's the biggest issue worrying you, it's worth noting that greyhounds and whippets demand very little in the way of excercise and are apparently very happy sitting around pretty much all day.

Me and the missus have a 4 year old labrador bitch (no kids yet) and, although you get used to it, they do require a lot of time. I spend an hour and a half walking/playing with ours every day, and she is not bothered by wind/ice/rain so that is every single day. Food isn't a big expense, but insurance is and it increases every year even without making claims. You also have to factor in kennels/boarding if you're going abroad and don't have family or friends that can look after it (£20+ per night) and if you're unfortunate enough to have one that suffers seperation anxiety, then daycare is about £15-20 per day. I think seperation anxiety is usually caused by owners who usually never leave their dog alone at a young age though and then suddenly start leaving the dog at home when they go back to work, you ease them into time away from you and they're usually ok with it

The benefits are being forced into walking and therefore getting into shape, and the best thing is it's like you've always got a mate round. You don't get a dog's affection from any other animal, you come home and they just can't get enough of you, which never gets old.

Worth also noting that a lot of them (mine included) like to roll in all sorts of shit and filth which is disgusting. Mine once found a rotten fish in the middle of a field, took me a minute to get to her, by which time she was completely covered in oily mush and stank our house out for a week, despite the fact that I bathed her as soon as we got home. Bellend.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

If walking's the biggest issue worrying you, it's worth noting that greyhounds and whippets demand very little in the way of excercise and are apparently very happy sitting around pretty much all day.

Me and the missus have a 4 year old labrador bitch (no kids yet) and, although you get used to it, they do require a lot of time. I spend an hour and a half walking/playing with ours every day, and she is not bothered by wind/ice/rain so that is every single day. Food isn't a big expense, but insurance is and it increases every year even without making claims. You also have to factor in kennels/boarding if you're going abroad and don't have family or friends that can look after it (£20+ per night) and if you're unfortunate enough to have one that suffers seperation anxiety, then daycare is about £15-20 per day. I think seperation anxiety is usually caused by owners who usually never leave their dog alone at a young age though and then suddenly start leaving the dog at home when they go back to work, you ease them into time away from you and they're usually ok with it

The benefits are being forced into walking and therefore getting into shape, and the best thing is it's like you've always got a mate round. You don't get a dog's affection from any other animal, you come home and they just can't get enough of you, which never gets old.

Worth also noting that a lot of them (mine included) like to roll in all sorts of shit and filth which is disgusting. Mine once found a rotten fish in the middle of a field, took me a minute to get to her, by which time she was completely covered in oily mush and stank our house out for a week, despite the fact that I bathed her as soon as we got home. Bellend.

lol liking the dead fish story.

One of my husky’s once “caught” a rabbit, I say caught but the rabbit had been dead for at least a month. I spent 10 minutes chasing him round the bloody field trying to get him to drop it.

Good point around getting the right breed of you get one, don’t do what most people do and just buy one that looks nice, do your research.

One of mine has epilepsy which I would say has easily cost me over £4000. this alone could put me off from getting a puppy again.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

You are right about having to get home for the dog.  It does curtail some days out, but then again you tend to find a new range of dog friendly days out to replace some types.

You don't have staff for that? Lol!

• Haha 1

Dogs are a massive commitment. 

I have two - a springer spaniel, and one of the pups from her litter. Although they are great, they can be a real pain in the arse. They are a bind, because they don't always handle being left alone very well. So you do have to make sure you get home from work to let them out etc.

I have to get up and walk my two before the missus leaves for work at 6.45 which is not pleasure at all at this time of year. Even the ones which don't need "much" exercise - you still really need to walk them a couple of times a day at least, even if only just a short walk around the block so they can do their business

Holidays will take on a new dimension - ether you need a "dog friendly" holiday or prepare to add kennel fees to your budget (around £25 - £30 day for our dog). 

Plus our puppy has in the last year chewed:

1 x iphone

2 x Sky Q Remote

1 x Iwatch

1 x TV remote

several items of clothing

1 x wii remote

That said, it is a great way of getting out as a family and the dogs are always pleased to see you!

12 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

If you do get one, then for gods sake only buy from a licensed breeder, or at least a kennel club assured breeder. Rescue dogs can be very rewarding too.

Definitely 100% this! Insist on seeing the KC paperwork and check online. The Kennel Club are very helpful with any queries.

16 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

You don't have staff for that? Lol!

The nannies won’t do dogs, obviously the kitchen staff don’t, the Gardner hates her due to the shit, and the Butler is allergic.  When we get another I might ask the head of household to look at a full time dog carer.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bryn said:

I think children can learn a lot from a dog and gain precious memories so I'd give it considerable thought, but if you're not convinced your family can 100% provide for one don't go there.

Also never get a dog for this reason, there are countless ways to teach kids responsibility.

2 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Also never get a dog for this reason, there are countless ways to teach kids responsibility.

This is a really bizarre post, as my post clearly states if the family aren't up for it 100% then don't do it.

4 minutes ago, Bryn said:

This is a really bizarre post, as my post clearly states if the family aren't up for it 100% then don't do it.

I wasn't having a go at you, it's just op doesn't sound any where near 100% committed so should absolutely not be giving it a considerable thought for this reason. 

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

Dogs are a massive commitment. 

I have two - a springer spaniel, and one of the pups from her litter. Although they are great, they can be a real pain in the arse. They are a bind, because they don't always handle being left alone very well. So you do have to make sure you get home from work to let them out etc.

I have to get up and walk my two before the missus leaves for work at 6.45 which is not pleasure at all at this time of year. Even the ones which don't need "much" exercise - you still really need to walk them a couple of times a day at least, even if only just a short walk around the block so they can do their business

Holidays will take on a new dimension - ether you need a "dog friendly" holiday or prepare to add kennel fees to your budget (around £25 - £30 day for our dog). 

Plus our puppy has in the last year chewed:

1 x iphone

2 x Sky Q Remote

1 x Iwatch

1 x TV remote

several items of clothing

1 x wii remote

That said, it is a great way of getting out as a family and the dogs are always pleased to see you!

Bloody hell! I remember just over a year ago that litter of puppies paid for your Lapland trip?

I guess you're both even now with the cost of replacing that lot lol