Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Watford (H) post-match thread (2-0 home win)

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

That's the problem, I've not. Not had a beer vs Huddersfield or Watford and thought 1st half in both games we were extremely poor. Today we were so wasteful and laboured with the ball, it was horrible to watch. I'm being harsh on them because we rotated a lot over Xmas but I think at home we've not played well for a while now. I don't like how we've gone back to 4-4-1-1 instead of 4-2-3-1, some will argue there's very little difference but the key for me is that in the latter when we had Gray, Mahrez and Albrighton behind Vardy they all interchanged and caused the opposition so many problems. Mahrez was impossible to pick up. Today he was very mediocre as he had to keep coming in to defensive midfield to get on the ball as we just couldn't move it properly from defence to midfield. 

James and Ndidi struggled to make anything happen, certainly 1st half but did get better. 

The game was crying out for a change in system to try and spark some sort of shift in mentality, Silva and Gray for sure. I also am mystified why Iheanacho got bugger all minutes. I'm annoyed. Thankful we won but irked at our performances at home right now.

Big shout out to Maguire though, who was sensational and Dragovic bar him struggling to really get anything going through to midfield was solid and Amartey had a decent game.

Have to agree with Rick, some of the reactions on here would make you think weve just spanked Real Madrid 3-0.

Ndidi was too slow on the ball in the first half, i get really frustrated with how he slows it down - a great destroyer but so much to improve upon.

Back 4 were good on the whole, Vardy pretty good although not his absolute best and Shinji had one of his falling over days.

• Like 1

We play like this too many times for my liking.  We played like this against Newcastle and that time got the win also.  It's like Puel is trying to slow our game down and some how break teams down with great football at times.

The passing was slow, turgid and we looked comfortable but never breaking Watford.  I thought Vardy was very good, the backline was good and ndidi was everywhere. The midfield was solid.

Mahrez was poor, his passing was shoddy and never got the final ball right.  Shinji went back to his muff diving days.  Albrighton was poor.  Gray also flattered to decieve.

A win is a win, so happy days

• Like 1

Looking back at today's game, what stands out the most is that even if a player like Mahrez does come up with a relatively unspectacular performance (he's just that kind of flair guy), we don't falter or cave in, it doesn't affect us that negatively.

There's several other members of the first team that have stepped up or are stepping up, sticking out and putting in very good performances on a more regular basis. Maguire, Okazaki, Vardy, Ndidi, Dragovic, Chilwell, Albrighton, ... They all contribute in one way or another, helping out whenever and wherever they can.

Teamwork is back. We now function as a unit again, there's a clear philosophy visible with the kind of possession-based football that Puel has implemented or still is implementing.

It's nice to see us trying to find a way out of the back by keeping the ball on the ground, instead of opting for the hoofball-style from yesteryear.

• Like 3

Just now, TheyCallMeMrCarbohydrate said:

Yeah it’s an interesting point. Maguires positioning has been a slight issue this season. Maybe Drag is more willing to work around him than Wes would be.

It has to be said Maguires last two games have been exceptional...

I said earlier this week that if Wes can be kept out, brilliant!

1 hour ago, trabuch said:
Just watched @LCFC wanted to watch @vardy7 to see if I was right yep he’s a class act I’m sure he catches pigeons on his day off he’s that fast x @England will need him to stay injury free x plus a lovely family @RebekahVardy xx?

I saw him in the stands today behind Peter Schmeichel, if I could choose 1 player past or present to improve our midfield it would be him. In my eyes regardless of all his demons he is a legend!!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeMrCarbohydrate said:

Wes deserves a lot of respect and I also think he’s been decent this season so for me when he’s fit he plays. 

The partnership does does need a bit of work though imo.

His pay packet sort of gives him that respect pal. It's a job, not a birthright!

1 minute ago, Colourmy said:

His pay packet sort of gives him that respect pal. It's a job, not a birthright!

No, you’re wrong. What he has done for us over the last 6-7 years has earned that respect. He will never be forgotten and he has earned the right for his place not to be questioned until such a time as it has become apparent that he has become a liability. And that point has yet to be reached.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Diabolical today from Chilwell, Mahrez, Albrighton and the worst culprit was Okazaki. How Puel doesn't make changes earlier when we are that bad is beyond me?! I can understand in games that are finely poised when we're playing well but I saw no reason to keep Okazaki on past 50 mins and neither Albrighton who was horrid. That's my only criticism of Puel right now. 

Massively got away with it today, we we're equally as poor vs Huddersfield 1st half too. Thankfully they are two of the worst away teams in the division so it'll be glossed over. 

What game were you watching most people around  me and I agreed was that Okazaki  was excellent. If you are that critical go and watch Man City because you will never enjoy Leicester however they play

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Because it means we've managed to find an excellent CB presumably? I mean, Wes has been fantastic this season, having a real Indian summer.

Yes, keep him out and not rely on him anymore. He's done his job and thank you Wes, it will be forgotten but not quickly.

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeMrCarbohydrate said:

No, you’re wrong. What he has done for us over the last 6-7 years has earned that respect. He will never be forgotten and he has earned the right for his place not to be questioned until such a time as it has become apparent that he has become a liability. And that point has yet to be reached.

It won't be forgotten, no, and nor should it be. He is like Vardy now, not needed every game ( when not injured).

Drago has slotted in a treat.

2 minutes ago, baker11 said:

Today it was really noticeable how many thousands streamed out before the end of the game.  

I know it been on the FT a lot, but why- football is really changing- sadly- just noticed how many empty seats at the end of arsenal game motd 

36 minutes ago, murphy said:

Exactly this. 

We have monsters in our team like Maguire and N'Didi, the flair and pace of Mahrez and Vardy, we're seventh in the league and we won today yet still the armchair experts are not happy like they expect the opposition not to have any say in the match.  Aside from the miracle year, this is the best it has ever been in my 44 years.  Just fcking enjoy it and stop moaning.

Really don't understand it, did people think we were going to win the league every year ??

Sitting 7th in the prem with some really good players coming thru !! A ton of clubs would change places with us in a heartbeat but so much negative here.

Edited by gurru991
spelling
  • Like 2

Why is it people aren’t allowed to voice an opinion without being called moaners on here? Its ok to say someone didn’t have a good game  If thats what you think. Doesn’t mean you aren’t a fan or don’t know how lucky you are. 

• Like 4

Quite a scrappy game in the midfield but lots of positives and somethings to improve on.

Vardy should have scored that 1 on 1. Need to be more clinical.

Amount of times vardy and mahrez were offside. Unbelievable. Need to sort that.

Ndidi is brilliant. Bosses the midfield, took their players by the scruff of their necks and won the ball back countless times before playing out.

Defensively solid. Superb performances. Amartey really impressed me both here and at chelsea, with his form at the moment Simpson wouldnt get back in the team. Why would he?

Mahrez wasnt at his best today but they ganged up on him sticking three to four players on him at times lol

But some amazing skill where he skinned two of theirs near the dugout and the goal was sublime. Looking forward to seeing it again on motd in a few minutes.

Rest did well

Dont think the game suited shinji that well. Called gray coming on for him and silva at the end. Right tactics employed. Need to take our chances more though.

Agree with one or two other posters it really is starting to feel like we are the best of the rest now. 7th a real target and who knows how much higher than that.. we have a fine team of talented players and our bench was strong too. 

28 minutes ago, F1_AN said:

Why is it people aren’t allowed to voice an opinion without being called moaners on here? Its ok to say someone didn’t have a good game  If thats what you think. Doesn’t mean you aren’t a fan or don’t know how lucky you are. 

You can.

And I can express an opinion on the moaning, entitled criticisms too.  I just don't know what it would take to make some people happy.

We are a traditional yo-yo side and we could go back to the dismal Sven era in no time so just enjoy these times.  These are the glory days.