Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

7 minutes ago, The soup nazi said:

Like most have said mate rent was crazy and and with it being empty most of the time it was no.surprise really.

Apparently Steamin Billy are really interested though. Hope that's true as we need another boozer round here as there's a cocktail bar and a Champagne bar coming to the area soon, oh joy! 

Aside from being a touch pricey SB pubs are proper 

7 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Amazed to hear, a few weeks after the event, that my old local The Clarendon has closed down.  :(

Nice people running a decent pub that must have had a decent turnover as it got packed at times. It had a big catchment area with little direct competition (poncy bars nearby but not traditional pubs).

I gather that the problem was high overheads (rent & business rates) and, allegedly, the owners turning the financial screw. No news of it opening under new management as far as I'm aware - maybe the owners want to sell it off or profit from converting it into rental flats or something, though I'm not sure the latter would be viable. Anyone have any inside info? :dunno:

I hadn't been in there for more than a year as it was just round the corner from my ex and too closely associated with my "old life". Had been in less frequently even before that, due to quitting the booze. Even so, sad news.

Unless there are specific circumstances then, if places like that are going to close down, then an awful lot of pubs are going to close.

That's rubbish – really great pub. Hope it stays as one, I like Queens Rd but it wass a nice alternative to the other boozers up there.

If those Steaming Billy whispers are true I reckon they could turn it into something profitable fairly easily.

22 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I've never paid £5 in Leicester, rarely have I paid over £4 as most places a pint is between £3.50-3.80

19 minutes ago, baker11 said:

Can also say I have never seen anywhere in Leicester doing £5 pints.

The Tavern doesn't serve £5 pints.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Babs: sensible about football; knows sod all about anything else.

I know what I pay for beer... perhaps I've confused "nice pubs in Leicester" in the title, with "any old dump that doesn't serve expensive beer" lol

Edited by Babylon

Just now, Babylon said:

I know what I pay for beer... perhaps I've confused "nice pubs in Leicesrer" in the title, with "any old dump that doesn't serve expensive beer" lol

We don't all frequent your posh gentlemen's clubs and spit and sawdust will do us fine. :thumbup:

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The Tavern doesn't serve £5 pints.

I’ve never been in lol 

The QoB is probably the priciest pub I drink in and even in there I’d say it’s ~£4 a pint. Doing 12 pubs of Christmas on Saturday so will report back 

Edited by Stadt

Just now, Stadt said:

I’ve never been in lol 

The QoB is probably the priciest pub I drink in and even in there I’d say it’s ~£4 a pint. Doing 11 pubs of Christmas on Saturday so will report back 

I was in the QOB yesterday and the cheapest I saw was Heiniken at £4.25!

They do some cracking food in there for lunch!

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I was in the QOB yesterday and the cheapest I saw was Heiniken at £4.25!

They do some cracking food in there for lunch!

I’ve not been in since the summer probably tbf but Leicester is reasonable for beer prices, the Criterion, The Salmon, Barley Mow and Duffy’s might not be what you view ‘nice pubs’ but they’re all cracking and about £3.50-£4 a pint 

Also the Hansom Cab is probably the worst pub I’ve ever been to, felt like a scene in a western as everyone put their drinks down and stared at me. Bloke behind the bar was covered in paint and looked like he had the right arse he had to do his job 

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 1