Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

• 1 month later...

The Clarendon is opening again after a brief closure. The guys who run The Craddock are taking this on as well. Having a full refurb sometime this year.

Can't make my mind up 100&six on Queens Road. Food was nice but pricey and the beer was hit and miss. Saying that the staff were friendly and the music both nights I've been in was really good. 

Edited by Soup
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

Not sure if I posted this in another thread recently or not, but the Marquis is excellent. Good range in there, reasonably priced, nice inside and out too. London rd is a decent crawl too from the Old Horse, Loaded Dog, Marquis, Lansdowne, Hind and to the Parcel Yeard.

My personal favourites are the Salmon, Globe, Duffy’s, Two tailed Lion, Western, Marquis, King’s Head, Ale Wagon and Wyggeston house. 

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 3

On 05/04/2019 at 18:36, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Bloke who runs The Forge, Rutland & Derby and Knight & Garter is taking over the King Richard III pub on Highcross St.

I like the King Dick,Unfortunately  unlike its name it’s just so small, great in the summer though with the extra outdoor space, unfortunately  it spent most of last winter closed for some reason, hope they make a success of it as I love the R&D

just realised I’ve replied to a post from April 5th 🙈

Edited by Mark 'expert' Lawrenson

On 18/11/2019 at 18:18, SemperEadem said:

Taking the folks out for Sunday dinner this weekend.

Where does a better roast -

The Cradock or the Marquis Wellington?

Only been the Cradock once but imagine it to do a bloody top tier roast. Though they're both Everard's aren't they so I imagine you'd be splitting hairs, I'd go in the gaff you prefer mate.

• Like 1

On 18/11/2019 at 18:18, SemperEadem said:

Taking the folks out for Sunday dinner this weekend.

Where does a better roast -

The Cradock or the Marquis Wellington?

Cradock is having refurb of half the pub. Since the landlord took on the Clarry, the standard of food has gone right done at the cradock, in contrast to the Clarry which does decent nosh. Wonder if they have moved their chefs across.

Marquis for me hands down, was there on Sunday, pork belly was the business! 

Just now, BoyJones said:

Cradock is having refurb of half the pub. Since the landlord took on the Clarry, the standard of food has gone right done at the cradock, in contrast to the Clarry which does decent nosh. Wonder if they have moved their chefs across.

Marquis for me hands down, was there on Sunday, pork belly was the business! 

I went in the Clarendon recently and was really surprised with it, it's had a polish but still feels like a pub, probably because of the shape. Not sure about the bar staff wearing braces and it's a shame theyve followed the "paint everything grey, bang a load of white tile faces about and write "gin o'clock" on the walls" mantra that's infested pub refurbs recently (although it's less overbearing there) but in general it was good.

I loved it as it was, though.

14 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I went in the Clarendon recently and was really surprised with it, it's had a polish but still feels like a pub, probably because of the shape. Not sure about the bar staff wearing braces and it's a shame theyve followed the "paint everything grey, bang a load of white tile faces about and write "gin o'clock" on the walls" mantra that's infested pub refurbs recently (although it's less overbearing there) but in general it was good.

I loved it as it was, though.

yeah i hate that aesthetic. should have just updated the old look

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

A few of us are seeing The Chemical Brothers in Birmingham next Friday. 
Any pubs folk would recommend?

Post Office Vaults is on our list.

Pint Shop is great, Wellington top drawer. Next door to each other too. The Gunmakers Arms can be decent on its day - not far. A new place has opened across the way from Snow Hill called the Good Intent which looks really decent, owned by a local brewery (I think) and is completely not for profit.

If you venture as far as the Jewellery Quarter, the Jewellers Arms and 1000 Trades are top, the latter especially.

Edited by Langston
Spelt door wrong...
  • Like 1

On 22/11/2019 at 09:23, SemperEadem said:

A few of us are seeing The Chemical Brothers in Birmingham next Friday. 
Any pubs folk would recommend?

Post Office Vaults is on our list.

1000 Trades is genuinely one of my favourite places for a pint in the country if you head up that way, at this time of year too it's ace.

Old Contemptibles near Snow Hill is a Nicholson's boozer I've always found pretty decent, as said Pint Shop and the Wellington are both great too with staff that don't mess about, you'll get served in decent time.

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

How does the Alewagon do?

Not been in for a few years.

Has core regulars that keep it ticking over very well during hours other pubs (especially in Leicester) suffer, it's location helps it do alright at the weekend too. Beer quality the best in the city for me. 

I quite like how unspoilt it is.

6 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Does anyone know of any good cafes (or pubs) that are good for working in Leicester that isn't Starbucks? Anywhere with decent wifi that doesn't frown upon people with laptops and will supply a steady stream of mint tea.

Good cafes is one thing we have tonnes of. 200 degrees, Bru, Dido, St Martins, 6 degrees, northern cobbler and cafe mbriki are all decent.

• Thanks 1

Not sure if this is the right thread for this comment....was in town last night for the AJ Ruiz fight and drinks after. Wow.

Xmas dos and the fight crowd, jeez town was packed and rough. Really rough. It was an uncomfortable evening of constantly having to watch over your shoulder. I've a feeling that's my town days over.

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this comment....was in town last night for the AJ Ruiz fight and drinks after. Wow.

Xmas dos and the fight crowd, jeez town was packed and rough. Really rough. It was an uncomfortable evening of constantly having to watch over your shoulder. I've a feeling that's my town days over.

Town is way calmer than back in the day…. 

Was never a chap to frequent the more ‘fulsome’ areas of town, but, you could feel an edge around and about and was threatened a few times, but, generally managed to avoid getting a hiding…

it’s far less violent in our days…. Was out and about of a mates ‘significant’ birthday and I felt quite safe…