Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

The Donkey have new guys running it and a refurb is due early next year. Will carry on the live music vibe as well. Hopefully they'll mix it up and not have just the usual Weller or Specials trubute acts playing.

Edited by Soup
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Sucks, man. 

Spent many a good evening in there. 

Hope someone buys the place and reopens it as a bar, but unlikely. Nine still going strong... For now.

I used live in the next Street and when it first opened, it was class.

Still can't understand why it shut down.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

The Salmon was ace yesterday all day, new landlord has beers spot on and the crowd is always friendly in there. Proper gem of a place.

Agreed, few of us went in there yesterday afternoon for a drink. Great atmosphere with an excellent choice of beer. 

On 12/12/2019 at 09:48, Soup said:

The Donkey have new guys running it and a refurb is due early next year. Will carry on the live music vibe as well. Hopefully they'll mix it up and not have just the usual Weller or Specials trubute acts playing.

I was in there last weekend for the first time for many months - Kingsize ska band (very good if not vastly original).

Pretty full & a lively, friendly atmosphere in there. Hope that's a sign of things to come. Would encourage me to give my lazy, aging arse a kick to get in there more often.

The web site suggests they're planning to open a "restaurant" as part of the establishment, while continuing the music.

I hope that's either an extension or a small-scale eating facility as there wouldn't be much room for a "restaurant" and music venue in the existing space..... :dunno:

On 27/12/2019 at 19:44, Alf Bentley said:

I was in there last weekend for the first time for many months - Kingsize ska band (very good if not vastly original).

Pretty full & a lively, friendly atmosphere in there. Hope that's a sign of things to come. Would encourage me to give my lazy, aging arse a kick to get in there more often.

The web site suggests they're planning to open a "restaurant" as part of the establishment, while continuing the music.

I hope that's either an extension or a small-scale eating facility as there wouldn't be much room for a "restaurant" and music venue in the existing space..... :dunno:

This does sound interesting. The latest I've heard is that they'll be going along the lines of a New Orleans style bar/venue. Although this is probably just the usual Chinese whispers on Queens Rd. 

Saying that, watching a band and tucking in to a bowl of Gumbo does sound a treat :D

• Thanks 1

On 27/12/2019 at 16:19, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

The Salmon was ace yesterday all day, new landlord has beers spot on and the crowd is always friendly in there. Proper gem of a place.

What beers are on? 

My worry is the last time a landlord got adventurous on beer choice at a Black Country Ales pub (Craven Arms, Birmingham) they got turfed out. 

Guest Harrydc

One of my main pubs I go to on match-days is O'neills, great for watching the football before hand, and they do Camden Hells which is great. 

16 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

What beers are on? 

My worry is the last time a landlord got adventurous on beer choice at a Black Country Ales pub (Craven Arms, Birmingham) they got turfed out. 

When I went they had a good range of darks on mate, the landlord worked the bar and it was a great place for a pint. I find Black Country pubs and their beers semi decent if a little uninspiring but they've taken over some crackers in Brum and watered them down - the Craven Arms in particular is a ****ing superb boozer and doesn't deserve three taps being taken up by Black Country's core beers. Was home to the best pint I'd ever drank in 2015, calves of steel by the time you'd gotten up there too.

Wellington is still decent and the Jewelers Arms is too, but the Craven Arms was a gem that didn't need tampering with. 

15 hours ago, Ashley said:

The Salmon is ace. Pre Match drinking place currently. 

If you want a Sunday carvery try The Golden Fleece - South Coxton. You wont go wrong there

Well you will as its Croxton:thumbup:

Have to say, I've been impressed with the Grand Union sat and today.