Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

43 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Nothing wrong with the Tavern. They are currently selling beer vouchers for Christmas, £2.50 a voucher. 

The beer is shit though. I'd honestly rather pay £5 for a pint than £2.50 for a pint of the watered down Carling that tastes of pipe cleaner in there.

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

I’ve not been in since the summer probably tbf but Leicester is reasonable for beer prices, the Criterion, The Salmon, Barley Mow and Duffy’s might not be what you view ‘nice pubs’ but they’re all cracking and about £3.50-£4 a pint 

Also the Hansom Cab is probably the worst pub I’ve ever been to, felt like a scene in a western as everyone put their drinks down and stared at me. Bloke behind the bar was covered in paint and looked like he had the right arse he had to do his job 

The Criterion and The Salmon are probably my two favourite Leicester pubs. Could do with a few more like that.

Real shame that The Hind isn't used as much as it should be. Totally done up a few years ago and recently done up outside. Looks really smart as well, like a proper old boozer. Can't get.rid of it's dodgy past it seems  but I'd much rather stop in there before getting a train than the Parcel Yard. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Yeah I went in The Clarendon for the first time about 6 months ago on a Friday, it was absolutely dead and a standard lager was about £4.50. You'd never guess that it used to popular.

As for Steamin Billy pubs, The Cow & Plough on Stoughton Road is great.

Honestly I'm not a lager drinker whatsoever but the Kronenbourg they used to serve in there was worth every penny on a hot day.

5 hours ago, The soup nazi said:

The Clarendon lost quite a few regulars/characters to Rosebud just down the road. For the 1st year it had Moretti for £3 a pint. It's not that cheap anymore but has kept a lot of folk in there.

Rosebud is such a strange place. Not a bad gaff, just weird. 

4 hours ago, baker11 said:

Can also say I have never seen anywhere in Leicester doing £5 pints.

Queen of bradgate, Head of Steam, Two Tailed Lion, Bruxelles, R+D, Brewdog, Knight and Garter will all 100% offer something that topples a fiver a pint.

7 hours ago, Babylon said:

£5 a pint is regular in town!

Jesus.

I remember back in the mid-seventies being so outraged that I swore I was giving up drinking because my local had hiked the price of a pint up to 18p (from 16p). lol

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Langston said:

Queen of bradgate, Head of Steam, Two Tailed Lion, Bruxelles, R+D, Brewdog, Knight and Garter will all 100% offer something that topples a fiver a pint.

I’d be hesitant to call most of them pubs, R&D and QoB definitely but the others not so much 

4 hours ago, Stadt said:

I’d be hesitant to call most of them pubs, R&D and QoB definitely but the others not so much 

Tbf "pubs" serving pints at a fiver wasn't the criteria I was responding to there, it was places in general.

One thing that always surprises me about Leicester is how dead it is in the week. It doesn't have the "clock off, pint" of nearby cities anymore. Go to nearly anywhere in Nottingham at 6 on a Friday and there's loads of folk out (despite the fact there's more choice).

It's  a city that's never benefited from sprawling and anything high rise looking ****ing appalling to be quite frank.

Through attachment / family I love Leicester, I'll defend it until there's no air in my lungs but it's an ugly city as a neutral observer. Abbey Street carpark is third world. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Langston said:

I've heard that the Head of Steam in Leicester will be closing its doors in the new year.

6 hours ago, Stadt said:

It’s a massive unit and it’s never seemed busy enough when I’ve gone by. 

Not surprised for that reason. It is alright in there but I guess Two Tailed Lion has taken a fair cut of its trade as it is much nicer with a better selection of beers.

Still a shame though.

It’s Christmas Eve early lunchtime ...   on the pretext of doing some last minute Christmas shopping you are meeting your mates in town to have a mini festive pub crawl.   You start at the Globe and then stumble off ...   any ideas on about 4 more lively pubs with decent draught beer not too far away ?    Every year we try our best but seem to end up in some p1sshole ...  

4 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Not surprised for that reason. It is alright in there but I guess Two Tailed Lion has taken a fair cut of its trade as it is much nicer with a better selection of beers.

Still a shame though.

I still think it’s crap and I’m not too surprised it’s closing if true tbf 

5 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

I still think it’s crap and I’m not too surprised it’s closing if true tbf 

When I say it’s alright I mean it’s better than Wetherspoons or crap like that. I’ve been in twice recently and they had the same beers on both times and the selection wasn’t great.

3 hours ago, Countryfox said:

It’s Christmas Eve early lunchtime ...   on the pretext of doing some last minute Christmas shopping you are meeting your mates in town to have a mini festive pub crawl.   You start at the Globe and then stumble off ...   any ideas on about 4 more lively pubs with decent draught beer not too far away ?    Every year we try our best but seem to end up in some p1sshole ...  

Start at the Salmon, Globe, Rutland and Derby then finish at the Blue Boar

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Just go to the  Blue Oyster Bar, you don't need to go anywhere else........maybe the Prince of Punjab if you fancy some food

18 hours ago, Langston said:

I've heard that the Head of Steam in Leicester will be closing its doors in the new year.

Not surprised, I like the concept but they just haven’t nailed it. Never very busy drinks are extortionate and there doesn’t seem to be any real thought behind their choices. Seems like a bar that’s trying to be something it doesn’t quite understand.

Although they do let dogs in and Nigel has visited a few times. 

Edited by Unabomber