Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

Tried the beer pharmacie place last night. Pretty decent to be fair. Something novel. Was steady all night. 2 German lagers on tap. 3 ciders and several real ales. Pale ales etc. 

Cobs on bar, Sausage rolls, scotch eggs chorizo. For snacks. 

Will be using it again. 

Reckon aa few people will know the bloke running it as he used to do the doors in town.

Edited by Bayfox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Is Caddyshackers any good?

I went a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it. Craft beer cans £5, San Miguel on tap also £5. Decent cocktails at 6.95. Course was pretty fun. Only issue is you end up waiting a lot in between holes for the people in front to finish.

• Thanks 1

Anywhere with a nice atmosphere and genuine real ales to try. I cannot be doing with ice cold "bitter" gassed up and not hand-pulled. Vile chemical shite. Not many pubs in the city centre are decent, maybe The Globe for real ales. 

The Cock Inn, Sibson, The Weavers, Hinckley, 

I don't have a beard. :beer:

Think the West End are expanding / upsizing their kit. It's nice inside, I'd go more often if it was a bit nearer closer to town or lived that way.

I see Loaf has reopened as a sports-type bar that isn't a sports bar called Doghouse. I used to love Loaf. And O-bar.

And the Font.

14 minutes ago, Langston said:

Think the West End are expanding / upsizing their kit. It's nice inside, I'd go more often if it was a bit nearer closer to town or lived that way.

I see Loaf has reopened as a sports-type bar that isn't a sports bar called Doghouse. I used to love Loaf. And O-bar.

And the Font.

Yeah Brauny Gate gone way down hill. O-bar with Smokehouse upstairs was mint. Loaf too. They had Oxjam there one summer and it was brilliant 

• Like 1

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

Yeah Brauny Gate gone way down hill. O-bar with Smokehouse upstairs was mint. Loaf too. They had Oxjam there one summer and it was brilliant 

I swear I read they were bringing Smokehouse back somewhere as a pop up recently, might have imagined it mind. That food was top drawer. Four years ago nearly, Christ.

Used to love Fridays down there in the summer before migrating into the centre. How on earth has that awful Sumo place survived.

Just now, Langston said:

I swear I read they were bringing Smokehouse back somewhere as a pop up recently, might have imagined it mind. That food was top drawer. Four years ago nearly, Christ.

Well it became ‘Cured’ and they were hosted by Brewdog then Cookie. The two chefs were trying to find the right size restaurant but struggled. I think one has gone to work elsewhere now but can’t remember now. I went Smokehouse the first game of the title winning season! Seems a lightyear ago now. 

A couple of years before that my partner used to live in her student flat and I used to love drinking around there in the summer. I don’t know why but it reminded me of Berlin. It could feel dicey as hell at times but there’s always something going on at weekends 

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Well it became ‘Cured’ and they were hosted by Brewdog then Cookie. The two chefs were trying to find the right size restaurant but struggled. I think one has gone to work elsewhere now but can’t remember now. I went Smokehouse the first game of the title winning season! Seems a lightyear ago now. 

A couple of years before that my partner used to live in her student flat and I used to love drinking around there in the summer. I don’t know why but it reminded me of Berlin. It could feel dicey as hell at times but there’s always something going on at weekends 

Ahhh, had no idea Cured was the same folk! Had a Google and it would seem they did something in the R&D back in March / April under "the pop-up Smokehouse." 

Also had no idea The King RIchard III had closed. What is going on in Leicester, man. It wasn't my bag but surely enough people fell into the demographic they were targeting?

7 minutes ago, Langston said:

What is going on in Leicester, man

Feels like the City went backwards a bit last year, tbh. The demographics of the city probably don't lend themselves to drinking which can't help the pubs and bars, even students at Leicester unis don't seem to be that boozy.

38 minutes ago, Lcfc_lass10 said:

@Costock_Fox Drove through Costock last night and seen that the Generous Briton had been done up. Only ever been in once, nice beer. Any difference now it’s been done up?

I actually live in Countesthorpe now so haven’t been in there but it used to be a bit of a dump when I lived there a couple of years ago.

Strangely only went in a couple of times despite living down that lane.

• 2 weeks later...

Not impressed with the refurb at the Old Horse. Feels and looks like a Sizzling pub or similar,.all the quirkiness has been ripped out and tbh I think it's crap. I'm glad they didn't do the other side of the pub the same when they changed that a while back as I don't think I'd of gone back at all. Real shame.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Soup said:

Not impressed with the refurb at the Old Horse. Feels and looks like a Sizzling pub or similar,.all the quirkiness has been ripped out and tbh I think it's crap. I'm glad they didn't do the other side of the pub the same when they changed that a while back as I don't think I'd of gone back at all. Real shame.

Looks very grey.

20 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Went Two Tailed Lion again yesterday - it's ****ing mint that place. Sounds like they are doing okay as well. 

Big fan of it as well. The fact the beers always change and they know their stuff is what makes it. 

If i’m ever in town I always look for ways to end up in there lol