Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/10/2023 at 08:57, goose2010 said:

Didn't know that about the rising sun!

Echo the redgate too. The maltshovel in hartshill is nice but big portions. Hartshill Hayes is a nice walk after too. 

Finally got there this afternoon. It's nice, quite small. It was unexpectedly busy and we hadn't booked a table but got one for an hour before the next booking arrived. 

As a result we only had time for a share platter starter, which was decent VFM. The main meal portions looked huge.

On 05/10/2023 at 10:30, SemperEadem said:

Cherry Tree is the best in the city. Bullet proof Bass and Stella on, jukebox, outside area, pool table and loads of characters in there.

I’ve been twice and the Bass was off (not available) and a couple of times it’s been a little sour (I tend to go early doors and maybe it’s suffers from being in the pipes?)

When it’s right, they absolutely nail it… but, I’ve had a more varied experience 

Went yesterday and it was dead and managed two Guiness…. I love the Cherry Tree and having kept beer before, it’s not that tricky to get stuff right…

We went round the corner to the Salmon and thought it was alright…. I can see why they moved the bar as it releases a lot seating…. It’s just a bit ‘new’ but will mellow over the next few years…. Appreciated the open fire and the beer was excellent 

Guest Sideshow Faes
On 23/10/2023 at 11:45, Voll Blau said:

Any recommendations for decent pubs between Loughborough and Leicester that do food too - nothing too fine-diney.

White horse, birstall. Simple stuff done pretty well and if it's spring or summer a really good beer garden. 

Guest Sideshow Faes
On 05/10/2023 at 10:30, SemperEadem said:

Cherry Tree is the best in the city. Bullet proof Bass and Stella on, jukebox, outside area, pool table and loads of characters in there.

What "loads of characters"? That sentence fills me with dread.

Went to the classroom on Allandale Rd on friday night, it's full of real ale geeks and a bit small, thought it was ''ok'' tried a few of the beers which was a nice change, just unsure about the ambience of the place.

I had a beer which smelled like chocolate swiss roll but it was sour, was a battle to get it down. 

7 hours ago, HarryDee8 said:

Couple of questions:

1. Which pub sells the biggest selection of beers?

2. Any pub sell a double pint(stein)?

I was in Wygston’s House a few weeks back and they had pricing for 2 pint beers. Rutland and Derby have a decent selection of beer. If you’re in to craft beer/ale then there’s Sommar, Blue Boar, Two Tailed Lion.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HarryDee8 said:

Couple of questions:

1. Which pub sells the biggest selection of beers?

2. Any pub sell a double pint(stein)?

Probably any of the Black Country Ales (Kings Head and the Salmon) pubs, they have you generic lagers, then 12 beers rotating.

Wygstons House does a stein in the summer.

Sometimes Sommar(spelling?) has about 20, but the service and beer is underwhelming. Perhaps Tonne near St Martins.

Edited by westernpark
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Difficulty is unless you are ready to put the shift in outside of solely being a pub, you need the income. 

You either have to offer quizzes, tasting sessions, sport team hosting etc or go down the grub route. Can't keep a pub open just selling beer. 

All the best pubs you can think of, I bet most are just wet ones.

58 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

All the best pubs you can think of, I bet most are just wet ones.

Agreed. Don’t think a provincial city pub manages it well. Just doesn’t fit. London seems capable of it. Infact I can think of two in Brum what managed it well/ or one of them did. 

Grub in pubs is village stuff for me. 

Edited by CosbehFox

17 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Agreed. Don’t think a provincial city pub manages it well. Just doesn’t fit. London seems capable of it. Infact I can think of two in Brum what managed it well/ or one of them did. 

Grub in pubs is village stuff for me. 

Said that I can think of city based ones who did it well like Marble Arch, Manchester 

Pubs need to have at least one other heaving day a week alongside Friday and Saturday to survive. People moan about football crowd going into pubs and so on, but a Tuesday night game is like liquid gold for a willing landlord. You don’t get many people in their late 20s like me who will go and have 3pints twice a week before the weekend, habits are changing and event spaces have to be embraced by certain pubs.

• Like 1