Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

Mrs P and I go out for a light bar lunch every Saturday. We live in Hinckley and are now struggling to find somewhere rural that is good, independent and isn't miles away. 

I know it would be helpful if I could give you the venues we've visited so you guys don't suggest places we've already tried but that would be difficult.

I'd just appreciate your suggestions and I'll look at those that we haven't been to.

Hopefully no generic chain pubs. 

12 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Mrs P and I go out for a light bar lunch every Saturday. We live in Hinckley and are now struggling to find somewhere rural that is good, independent and isn't miles away. 

I know it would be helpful if I could give you the venues we've visited so you guys don't suggest places we've already tried but that would be difficult.

I'd just appreciate your suggestions and I'll look at those that we haven't been to.

Fourwards Earl shilton, Peppervine Sycamores Burbage 

Edited by Tommy G
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Fourwards Earl shilton, Peppervine Sycamores Burbage 

Thanks mate. I think Fourwards is a restaurant rather than a pub. Sickies in Burbage is nice and the addition of Peppervine is good. Yet to try it since that addition. It used to be good as a basic pup grub place. 

27 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Windmill at Brascote, raising sun at Shakleston, poachers Inn (cant remember the village it's in!) 

The unicorn at Orton on hill is also great for food. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Parafox said:

The Black Horse in Market Bosworth or the Hercules Revived in Sutton Cheney?

Edited by Wymsey

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

Thanks mate. I think Fourwards is a restaurant rather than a pub. Sickies in Burbage is nice and the addition of Peppervine is good. Yet to try it since that addition. It used to be good as a basic pup grub place. 

Peppervine is brilliant give it a go 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, goose2010 said:

Windmill at Brascote, raising sun at Shakleston, poachers Inn (cant remember the village it's in!) 

The unicorn at Orton on hill is also great for food. 

Rising Sun has shut it's kitchen due to cost of gas etc. Was a good food place and we've been there several times, Now all they can offer is cheese and onion cobs.

We will add the Unicorn and The Windmill to our list. Thank you.

4 hours ago, Wymsey said:

The Black Horse in Market Bosworth or the Hercules Revived in Sutton Cheney?

Both Pricey and more gastro than casual but thanks.

• Like 1

Went a bit further afield today. Swinford, The Chequers. Nice enough. A genuine basic village pub that does basic pub food but...

I ordered a "small" bowl of scampi and a side of chips. There was 18 scampi in a bowl and a basket of chips that would have been enough for 3 people. £8:50.

Mrs P had a ham salad that was beyond expectations. 3 THICK, carved off the bone slices of ham, a freshly boiled egg, a leafy salad, pickle and coleslaw. £6:50

That's what I call value for money. Nothing pretentious or gastro. Just "fill yer boots".

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Parafox said:

The Royal Redgate on the A5 at the junction for Fenny Drayton 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Parafox said:

Rising Sun has shut it's kitchen due to cost of gas etc. Was a good food place and we've been there several times, Now all they can offer is cheese and onion cobs.

We will add the Unicorn and The Windmill to our list. Thank you.

Both Pricey and more gastro than casual but thanks.

Didn't know that about the rising sun!

Echo the redgate too. The maltshovel in hartshill is nice but big portions. Hartshill Hayes is a nice walk after too. 

• Like 2

Walked past The Salmon yesterday. Bit fearful for it after seeing the bar appears to have been moved to the wall on the right, as you walk in, unless it's just temporarily there while the work's going on.

Had my PNE-supporting father-in-law with me so took him round town and he loved The Cherry Tree, which is his kind of pub. There was a bloke in there doing scarily good impressions of various old celebrities including Terry Wogan and Frank Spencer, which then moved seamlessly into a flawless impersonation of Louis Theroux's interview with Savile (him doing both parts). Would be such a good matchday boozer if it was the other side of the city centre.

• Like 4

Went to the Castle Inn today. It's alright, think the artwork inside is poor and not very personal to the location!  Beer is well kept, happy to have Charnwood Brewery all the time, but not much choice on cask, which is to be expected due to size of the place. Also apprehensive of how good the pub could be from the staff who served me, remember them from other local premises.

16 hours ago, westernpark said:

Went to the Castle Inn today. It's alright, think the artwork inside is poor and not very personal to the location!  Beer is well kept, happy to have Charnwood Brewery all the time, but not much choice on cask, which is to be expected due to size of the place. Also apprehensive of how good the pub could be from the staff who served me, remember them from other local premises.

It's got some teething issues behind the bar I'd say. 

Hopefully they get it going well but can see why it struggles a bit when busy.