Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Questions you've always wanted to ask Foxestalkers

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I assume I can't be the only one that's always had things they've wanted to ask other members. 

Keep it reasonably civil, like. Yknow, within what's realistic to expect of FT. 

@bovril what do you actually do? You're probably the most nonchalant traveller on FT. There's no humble bragging about it and you're less forthcoming with the details than Baltimore. One minute you're in some former Yugoslav Republic, the next you're just casually trotting about Italy. I assume it's more than just holidaying? What do you do for a living and how long have you been moving about? 

@Voll Blau this must have been asked and answered a number of times but why on earth Bochum, which side instigated it and why?

@Ric Flair how have you not died from some cholesterol induced heart episode? 

@Finnegan I'm a cockroach mate, i'll still be here when the world has ended, moaning about Harvey Barnes not being picked and looking for untapped tinned burgers

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, bovril said:

Lived abroad from age 22-32 (this year). Mostly in Italy (Trento and Palermo) and Balkans (based in Sofia but spent a lot of time in Istanbul and Thessaloniki). Did a variety of things, none of which paid very well, mostly taught and took photos for magazines and occasional exhibitions. Enjoyed it but felt like a bit of a false lifestyle and felt like I needed a bit of security. 

Moved back to UK now and teach and teacher-train in Cambridge and London. 

Were you literally just moving from place to place taking whatever work you could get? Like one big student gap year that never ended? 

How many languages do you speak? 

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Were you literally just moving from place to place taking whatever work you could get? Like one big student gap year that never ended? 

How many languages do you speak? 

No it was a bit more planned than that. Spent a year and a half in Palermo then lived for 6 in the Balkans and got a lot of steady work which afforded me a very good life there. Felt quite settled and semi-considered buying a place there but the winters, mentality of people and fear of turning into 'aged expat in Irish bar with 22 year old Bulgarian girlfriend' made me come back to the UK, via a short stop in N Italy. My Italian's ok, my Bulgarian's good (but rusty) which means I understand Russian and a lot of Serbo-Croat (I still think it's one language) and I can get by in Turkish. My Greek is non-existent, unfortunately. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I see your tinned cheeseburger, and raise you one Sweet Sue Canned Whole Chicken. "Home-style goodness" indeed.

"Fully cooked", thank Christ

43f2afe475f2ee2340939a3e8d2642e0.jpeg

My God. :o

Do people really eat that shit?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I see your tinned cheeseburger, and raise you one Sweet Sue Canned Whole Chicken. "Home-style goodness" indeed.

"Fully cooked", thank Christ

43f2afe475f2ee2340939a3e8d2642e0.jpeg

When you open the Can expectinge the chicken to look like the pics but it ends-up looking like a penguin's fetus

3 minutes ago, Wookie said:

@MattP I vaguely remember something about owning (?) some betting websites or something but what exactly was it you that allowed you to travel so frequently  and boozily?

I was part of an affiliate network that referred punters to betting companies through websites, made very good money at times.

All gone now though, the last remaining part of the business is in Australia and money trickles in from it, need to find work again, I'm a qualified accountant to CIMA level but the thought of spending the next thirty years in a office isn't one I can entertain anymore, going to have to spend the next few months wondering what I want to do, not ruling out going back to university. The thought of working again for a boss after you have worked for yourself is horrible.

Kind of wished I saved some money rather than lose it all but I had some fun and I don't think travelling the World can ever be something to regret. I do regret the gambling side of my 20's and early 30's, must have blown a quarter of a million quid.

1 hour ago, bovril said:

No it was a bit more planned than that. Spent a year and a half in Palermo then lived for 6 in the Balkans and got a lot of steady work which afforded me a very good life there. Felt quite settled and semi-considered buying a place there but the winters, mentality of people and fear of turning into 'aged expat in Irish bar with 22 year old Bulgarian girlfriend' made me come back to the UK, via a short stop in N Italy. My Italian's ok, my Bulgarian's good (but rusty) which means I understand Russian and a lot of Serbo-Croat (I still think it's one language) and I can get by in Turkish. My Greek is non-existent, unfortunately. 

Well my fear of working in an office again sounds totally ridiculous now.

Being sat in the pub with an 22 year old Eastern European girlfriend is where the real horror is at.